Author Topic: Prices For 2012  (Read 10884 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Prices For 2012
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
This is  interesting, especially for those who haven't booked yet for 2012.

06 February 2012
Tripadvisor reports major drop in Greek hotel prices
Hotel prices in Greece are dropping by as much as 20%, according to TripAdvisor.

Its examination of nine popular Greek destinations shows that all but two have seen hotel rates drop significantly since a year ago.

The biggest fall was in Corfu, where hotel rates have dropped on average by 20%.

Only in Mykonos and Santorini have rates remained relatively stagnant.

"While the Greek economy has experienced a traumatic year, the silver lining for tourism could be an increase in visitors due to the lower prices in many of its popular destinations," said Emma Shaw, a TripAdvisor spokesperson.

"There are some excellent hotel deals to be had in Greece at the moment, and with hotel prices coming down, it could be a great time for Brits to plan a 2012 holiday to Greece."

Rates in Corfu dropped 20.3% from €99.27 to €79.07
Rates in Zakynthos dropped 12.4% from €86.96 to €76.16
Rates in Kos dropped 9.6% from €75.06 to €67.86
Rates in Kefalonia dropped 8.2% from €107.85 to €99.05
Rates in Athens dropped 7.9% from €81.02 to €74.66 7.9%
Rates in Crete dropped 7.7% from €85.75 to €79.16
Rates in Rhodes dropped 5.6% from €96.82 to €91.42 5.6%
Rates in Santorini dropped  0.1% from €162.08 to €161.91
Rates in Mykonos rose 0.7% from €160.04 to €161.09 0.7% rise

Percentages above specify the average change in per room per night hotel room cost at hotels found on TripAdvisor in that destination when comparing 1 November 2010 to 16 January 2011 against the same dates one year later.

Between 22 and 401 hotels of various star-ratings were checked for each destination, for a total of 1,299 hotels checked across all nine destinations.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Re: Prices For 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
Hmmm! Seems a bit of a mind boggling exercise digesting those figures Terry. My experience this year for my May trip is not particularly the price in Corfu, but the airlines 'having a laugh' at the prices they are charging to get there! I have had to abandon Cardiff as £430 return is ridiculous. Thomson seem to base their prices on their 'captive' cruise clients, who 'use' the port at Corfu, but spend nothing on the island. They admit that with only one flight a week, with no competition form other airlines, they can charge 'cruise go-ers' a standard rate which is inclusive in their overall cruise/flight cost, and charge 'premium' rates to other passengers. There is of course their 'singles supplement' on top for their 'package deals'.
Having 'abandoned' Thomson, despite being a 'regular' customer for the last 12 years, I have 'adopted' Thomas Cook, flying from Bristol. £279 all in, flight booked on line (for THREE WEEKS), impossible to do with Thomson, meal (not available any more with Thomson on short-medium haul flights), tax and baggage. I now have a longer journey to the airport and the cost of £6 for the use of the Seven Bridge crossing into England, which is paid to a French company, who run the toll collection, but pay nothing towards the bridge maintenance! I think it's now, mile for mile, the most expensive road crossing in the world!
Really looking forward to my 'second home' in Arillas and all of the magic it offers, roll on May 7th!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
This will be our third visit to Arillas and staying again at the Akti through Thomas Cook. 2008 to 2010 saw a £50 increase and 2010 to 2012 saw a £80 increase for us. We booked early this time round and since September the price has dropped £60, then increased £150 and is now currently £40 cheaper than when we booked. Very confusing indeed.

The only thing we have noticed that remains the same is the prices the good people of Arillas charge in the bars and restaurants. It will be interesting to see what the local prices are like this year.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »
i have been watching prices, it went up a lot just after christmas, which is usually a cheap time to book, but luckily we couldnt fix a date until last week, and the price has dropped down. we did consider booking a week in june and a week in september, but the week in june worked out more expensive than the TWO weeks that we have booked!!!!
so we will be staying at the akti (again) from the 18th june for two weeks, so if you're there then, say hello!!
ger x

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
Will do, Carolyns parents stay there from the 18th and they usually spend a lot of time with kevin g's party who are there too, so a arillas.com gathering.

Gary & Carolyn x

Offline Paul & Denise

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:50 PM »
We too have followed prices closely - up and down like the proverbial! Tried to do our own thing with Ryan air (Leeds Bradford) but even with good prices from the lads at the Rainbow, we could not match TC. So tonight we have bitten the bullet and booked 1st October as usual 2 weeks £670 for the two of us. Last year we left it till later and paid more than this. It will now probably go the other way but I don't care because we are going home again!
note to self- must set ticker
Paul & Nise

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
Thats a decent price for two weeks. There is little trend in prices but USUALLY I find the later you leave it the more they go up, unless you leave it until the very last minute.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Booking.com