Author Topic: mosquitoes  (Read 15790 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: mosquitoes
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »
Becky, they are quite small. Like ants really. But the damage they do is enormous.

They have a problem with my body chemistry. They never touch me. If I could bottle it I would. I could make a fortune, but it would be free to Arillas visitors....

The only real answer is 50% DEET jungle strength. Get it in Boots etc, but ensure it is full strength. It keeps my Jen safe. And it is the only way we can ever be at home together in Arillas.

Phil

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
When  we were over at the beginning of the month I got several bites on my ankles, started to feel a bit unwell there but when I came home my leg was so red and sore.  Went to doctors and was sent straight to A&E, seems I got Cellulitis from the Mozzy bites, I will get my revenge in September ha ha ha.  Now on 4000mg of antibiotics and day and been told I have to rest the leg.

Jillxx
Jill XXX

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »
Jill, I empathise, the buggers got me 5 times on one foot this time, blew up like a baloon.

But after my 2008 expreience when I was moments away from going in to anaphylactic some thing or other untill I got the needle to the bum, I now take the pills before I go and am constantly putting cream on any bites I get.....

Folks reading this, please dont be put off , its my annual homage to the Corfu mosquito....one year I will win!!
Ang

Offline jackson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
It has usually been for us that we tend to get bit soon after we arrive on hol when we are unprepared and not got our holiday head on after the 1st day when we are tuned in its usually plain sailing as long as your carefull

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 11:01:02 PM »
Ang

what pills do you take before you go?

Offline jackson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »
dont take any pills just take the sprays and the roll on and also blast the room with mozzi spray just as you are going out for the evening usually works for us but i have seen some very badly bitten people over the years youve not to take em lightly especially if you have kids .My son was badly bitten about 10 years ago 1st night now i always blast the room on arrival

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
Ness44, just simple antihistamines but I start taking them 2 weeks before I leave and one a day whilst there, it does not prevent me getting bitten but reduces my allergic reaction, cover all over with Jungle formula extra strength and anthisan cream liberally applied to any bites.
Room gets blasted with spray, use the plugins and citronella candles on the balcony every evening, bit of a military operation every night.
Ang

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
We always take Vit B 12 a couple of weeks before we go and largely get left alone, we always have the liquid plug-ins and also use jungle formula spray/roll ons as well as good old avon Soft and fresh dry oil body spray.

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. Jo i have my avon spray at the ready. We usually take vit b tablets but couldnt remember what ones!!!! Will stock up as going in 3 weeks so need to start taking them.

Offline Martin_G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »
Jungle formula extra strength and plugins for me, I spray the bed too before sleep, that seams to work for me.

M

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »

Always spray under the bed as well,

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
Never spray under the bed now.

Well, not now we have an inside toilet.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »

Hahaha!

Val x ;)
The love affair continues.

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
You're posh John - INSIDE toilet !!! ;-)
Jo - what are the Vit B12 tablets for ? Do they keep mossies away or help with the after effects ???
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
Apparantly geoff there is something in them theat omits a nasty smell to them from your skin but not to humans (hopefully!!) They definitely seem to help us anyhow.

Booking.com