Author Topic: First time in Arillas  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Ray and Sally

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
First time in Arillas
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
Hi all, My wife and I will be arriving in Arillas on the 9th of june for the first time, we have been to Corfu several times before but have never been to Arillas so we are looking for a few pointers from the more experienced visitors to this part of the island. We will be bringing our daughter and her fella who are both about 30 and have never been to Greece before and their two children who are 4 and 5. We are staying at the Marina hotel for two weeks, we have chosen self catering as going for a leisurely evening stroll and finding somewhere nice is a big part of our holiday and we wouldn't have it any other way. Our first night will be spent at the Marina enjoying the Greek night. Previously my wife and I have stayed in paleokastritsa so we will be popping over there a few times I should imagine, we have also planned to take the kids to Aqualand, we will be renting a boat for a day, there will no doubt be a few trips in to Corfu town, across to Kassiopi, up pantokrator, old perithia, the Achilleon palace, Angelokastro, erikousa (not sure if I spelled that right), a bit of snorkelling here and there and plenty of great food in all sorts of little tavernas but what we would like is some suggestions for what to see and do in and around the local area of Arillas both during the day and in the evening. I'm sure we will be fine but there is nothing worse than visiting somewhere and finding out when you get home that you missed out on a fantastic restaurant or a spectacular beach just because you didn't know it was there.
46 days to go.

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
Re: First time in Arillas
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
ray and sally
arillas is a place where you dont plan you go with the flow ,,were also staying a marina from the 18th ,,so good choice there..,,there are 3 trip offices in arillas olgas ..arillas travel ,,and arkokal all with in 2mins walk ,,they will organise trips and transport to and from ..you have resteraunts to spoil ya,and plenty of pools and a glorius beach at hand ,,but the main thing to is just ,,chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...............yammas

Offline Anne

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »
As Kevin says - just go with the flow - we all have our favourite restaurants - I would say must try's are Brouklis - Wednesday or Sunday for the spit roast lamb. Portofino for just about anything you can mention and Amourada for fish. One place that took us a few years to find is the Night Owl - all cooked over charcoal. Also Mon Amour - BBQ - they even pick you up and take you home. I can honestly say I have never been served anything that I couldn't eat. Am sure you will love the place as much as we all do. Happy holiday Anne xx
We were in Arillas for 2 whole months and going again for 2 weeks :-)

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
Hi Ray and Sally you will just love Arillas we also are bringing our daughter her partner and 3 children ranging from 18 months to 10 and i know they will have a ball as for food Arillas is your oyster more than enough restaurants to choose from and all fantastic quality all i can do is echo what Kev and Anne have said
If you click the link below it is a virtual tour of Arillas so you will be able to spot some of the restaurants also try browsing through some of the older posts as they hold invaluable information
http://arillas.corfu360.net/

Enjoy
Tony

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
tony ,,good find always amazes me that virtual tour ,,yammas

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
Ray, you sound to have a lot of plans.....I would need three months to do all that lot!

Don't forget to spend some time in Arillas too.....
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »
Phew that's quite a programme!! If it would take Sandy 3 months it would most probably take us even more. But we spend nearly all of our time in Arillas itself.

fantastic restaurant or a spectacular beach
I find Arillas beach spectacular, and there are so many fantastic restaurants, many right on the beach, you will be spoilt for choice! I have reviewed quite a few on TripAdvisor (nickname ArillasPhil) but the best reviews are when you are there for real. Have a look at the favourite food thread to see how many fantastic meals you might try, and where.

Have a wonderful time. I  rather suspect it won't be the last....
Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »

Ray and Sally click on videos in the yellow menu to see a little bit of Arillas.
The  first one is stunning.
 Welcome to Arillas.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
Having only been in Arillas once in June 2010, we are due to have our second visit in Sept (for the wine festival!) and rest of week.  We have been on lots of Greek holidays before but this is one place that feels like "home"! We are looking forward to doing our "circular walk" around the village every morning after breakfast, walking over the cliff to San Stephanos and visiting all the local tavernas in Arillas.  We just have the week so feel we want to make the most of it.

You'll probably join the rest of us who feel pulled back.  There appears to be a unique atmosphere and although there are the two bars in town, there is a lovely lack of "buy your Pukka pies" here signs and Irish themed pubs - just gorgeous Greekness.

Enjoy.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
ray and sally, you won't want to leave the village once you get there, trust me!!!
just walk or drive up to afionas, have a drink or a meal and soak up the view, or wander up the hill the other way stop off for a drink on your way into san stephanos, or just stay and enjoy the view!!
enjoy the chat, the view, the friendliness of the place, you won't want to be going off to paleo, or corfu town.
ger x

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
First time in Arillas Wow
Where to start..... let me see....Thats a hard one.......
I'll just have to think about it for a moment or two......
Well there's....... and then...... then after that........
and dont forget........ almost forgot to mention.......
                   JUST ONE RECOMENDATION
GO WITH THE FLOW

Offline westhampete

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
Ray & Sally.
Seems like you have plenty planned. But if you don't get it all in you can do it on your next visit. Once you have been to Arillas you are sure to be back.
Have fun and chill.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
Ray and Sally, you have chosen the prefect spot with the Marina, literally on the sea-front and all rooms with spectacularsea-view and their Greek night is always the highlight if my holiday (we have been 13 times now!).  We sat at the end of the beach road at the Marinaki which is owned by the same family.  You will love Arillas and just perfect for little ones with the sandy beach and very very safe waters. Lots of the tavernas are on the sea-front and the rest are dotted about the resort but all within easy walk. My reccomendations are:-

Classy special meal - Horizon hotel (on the front) and Thalassa and Costas on the Beach. Infact all those on the fronnt are lovely and all will offer versions of similar dishes. Portifino's stifado is to die for!
Beautiful authentic Greek, Brouklis (at the end of the main street past the two bars) think vine-covered taverna with blue checquered table-cloths.

For the most spectacular view ever, head up to Dionysos which is about 5 -10 mins in a car/taxi. Words will fail you I promise! I think that you will love Arillas x

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
From the tone of your post Ray and Sally, you're going to LOVE Arillas. Everything you intend doing is so easy to achieve in/from Arillas, and as Jo says, the little ones ( - and big ones -) will love the beach and sea.

As for
  "....there is nothing worse than visiting somewhere and finding out when you get home that you missed out on a fantastic restaurant or a spectacular beach just because you didn't know it was there"
     my advice would be to eat at the Brouklis and ask the Boss (Dimitris) what's on etc. (what he doesn't know, isn't worth knowing!! lol.)

Enjoy, you lucky people.

Angie

Offline Ray and Sally

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, I know we are going to have a fantastic holiday and yes I suppose we are planning to visit quite a few places during our stay but don't worry we will be spending plenty of time in and around Arillas too, especially in the evenings when I will be having one or two ouzo's or maybe a Mythos whilst enjoying the local tavernas and those spectacular views and therefore unable to drive. Thanks for all your suggestions, we will definitely be giving some of them a try and we will let you know how it all went when we get back, if they can get me on the plane to come back.

Booking.com