Author Topic: Do we have to be prepared?  (Read 17319 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Do we have to be prepared?
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
I think there is a very good chance that Greece will go back to the drachma, and it could happen whilst some of us are on holiday. The uncertainty is a bit worrying but I couldn't think of a better place to be in than Arillas (for a holiday) if it were to happen when I was there. What do other members think will happen?

Here are a some news links

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18018635

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9231161/Greek-unrest-could-put-off-travellers.html

http://spendmatters.co.uk/greece-endgame-approaches/

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Do we have to be prepared?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
The disruption to flights due to strikes is the main thing that concerns me. If Greece leaves the Euro it is more of a concern for the Greeks than someone who spends two weeks a year there. Whether it would be good for them or not only time will tell. Don't get me wrong I do feel for the Greeks, very much, but it's the people who live there, work there and have their futures there that should be the main concern. My Euros in June/July will still be valid and likely valid for quite some time until an intrim currency is established, it may run side by side for some time. Surely it is impossible in the short term to stop one and start another? Look how much planning the Euro-wide change in I think 1999/2000 took.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »
Couldn't agree more with GazCaz . I'd be amazed if anything happened this year
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »
As I don't go until Sept I will wait to purchase my "currency" - whatever that is nearer the time.  More than likely we will bring a lot of sterling because hopefully then we can change it locally.  I, like others, are more concerned about strikes etc. affecting flights (apart from worrying how Greek economy will suffer).

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
gazcaz 
your euros wont last that long im not gonna let you leave the bar ,,,hahha ,,yammas

Offline Angela66

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:20:59 PM »
Humm, think I shall take a couple of hundred in Euros and the rest in GBP.  It may be that the Greek people will like to exchange GBP and keep them as they may be of more medium term value to them than Euros.  Thus a better exchange rate for us and also good for them - a win win situation.

What I would like to know is how this situation is affecting the Greek people on a day-to-day basis.  I have heard terrible stories about extra taxes being imposed on public sector workers for instance.  Whilst clearly Arillas is not Athens and there are not riots and protests on every corner, I do wonder if there is a notable impact on the people there. 

Let's hope there are not strikes in the summer as whilst this may help some sectors, it would not help small businesses dependent on the holidaymaker one bit! 

My heart goes out to those affected.  It could just do easily be us - there but for the grace of God!

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:59:02 PM »
I feel the same as you, Angela and I just hope evryone in and around Arillas are OK.

Here is an interesting Blog, that does show a small glimmer of positiveness with the Greek people.

http://kalikalos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/to-euro-or-not-to-euro-greek-tragedy-or.html

Offline himishere

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
Oh for a crystal ball !

Still being the eternal optimist I am looking forward to the excellent holiday I am always given by the good folks in Arillas.

Yammas

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:45:55 PM »
Kev, I was not expecting the Euros to go far with you and the outlaws around.

We have the bulk as usual in Euros but was thinking to take some good old Blighty money with us. We have exchanged before, but what is the score with some places only taking £20 notes? Advice please.

Gary

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »
gaz
ive changed £20,s and £50,s with theo in arillas car hire no probs ...yammas

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
Cheers Kev, what about £10 notes, Im sure I changed some in 2010? That can be your and the Outlaws task before we arrive. :-)

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
gaz lol
im sure ive still got a white fiver somewhere,,haha..have to get peters combination to hi purse this yr ,,haha,,yammas

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »
My many conversations with Corfiots over the last year, and particularly during the recent election campaigning, lends me to believe, firmly, that a return to the drachma is impossible to achieve, even were it realistically sought.
A life-long history of Greek drama shows how expert our hosts are where the art of defending their lands, and peoples, against any foreign aggression, whether with arms, or financial constraints, or backdoor designs on acquiring Greek islands with subterfuge, are concerned.
Have no fear. Greece will remain in the European Community, the Eurozone, and the leading European power will have to accept that the European Central Bank, and the International Monetary Fund, have no choice but to underpin the Greek economy, or face the inevitable collapse of the Eurozone, and its“unachievable dreams of a "New United States Of Europe" with no borders, unified job market, and, economic and legal standardisation.
The European Community may, just may, have been manageable with the earlier twelve countries involved. Now, with so many new "poor" East-European country members involved, "Topsy" has become "Topsy Turvy"!
Anything that grows too quickly, and without pruning, eventually collapses.
Then the "tree" is cut back and flourishes anew.
Roll on the next version of the "Euro", with a two-tier system of "A" stream countries, and the also-rans.     
Geoffrey with a `G“

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
That's an excellent post, Geoffrey. I think the tide is just beginning to turn to have less austerity and I think the news coming from this weekends G8 talks will give positive thoughts for the Greek people to stay in the euro.

Offline daisyday

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
I think it was the currency exchange place near Akti Arilla Hotel that would only take £20 notes or over when we were there June 2010.

Booking.com