Author Topic: Help please! Where is this 1977 location in corfu?  (Read 11978 times)

Offline lonegroover

Help please! Where is this 1977 location in corfu?
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »
Hi,

My wife and I have booked a week's holiday to Corfu this June, which we're both looking forward to very much. For me it's my first visit since September 1977 when I was an impecunious student and I'm keen to see how much of the island has changed (and how much has not).

In  September 1977 we stayed at the youth hostel at Kontokali which was great (compared to the spartan/strict ones in northern europe).  I don't suppose it is still there.

We also hired scooters and travelled extensively all over the island. On one trip to Paleokastrista we returned via the north and stopped off at this taverna which was in the countryside. It was really good and almost everything on the plate came from their garden at the back. I would love to know where this was. Can anyone identify it?

Many thanks.

John

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Help please! Where is this 1977 location in corfu?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »
John, welcome to the Arillas forum. I'm sorry, I don't recognise the taverna in the picture, which from your description might be on the North West coast between Paleokastritsa and Ag Stefanos. Someone here might. I am intrigued to find out as well.

You don't say where you are staying/going to in Corfu this time, but don't miss Arillas if you want to see very limited change and the values you saw in 1977. Arillas has matured in that time, tourism has been kind to it rather than spoiled it, and it still has a huge measure of authenticity to offer. And the surrounding countryside and villages offer many people a lifetime of peace, nature and Corfiot, liberal joie de vivre.

Let us know how you get on.
Best wishes
Phil

Offline lonegroover

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »
Thanks Phil,
I'm hopeful that we will find it but if not I'm sure there's plenty new ones to discover!
We're staying just outside Corfu Town and we'll be hiring a car with the aim of seeing as much of the island as we can, so Arillas will definitely be on the list!
One final question, if you don't mind?  Do you know where the location of the 1970s youth hostel was in Kontokali? I'm pretty sure it's not longer there, but it would be nice to visit the location as well.

Many thanks
John

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
I am sad that I haven't spent since the seventies in what is now my favourite location on earth. If we had found it then, the "Arillas hippies" as we are known would never have left. We are only veterans since the turn of the millenium.

You may be surprised by the knowledge that members of this forum have, but answers take longer than the modern FaceBook approach of here today gone tomorrow. If anyone knows they will respond. I also hope to find out your answer.   

Enjoy your return to Corfu. But beware, Arillas is once seen forever besotted. There are hundreds of us trapped in a delightful inertia which means we never dream about anywhere else....

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »

I do hope you find this taverna, or where it was, it looks lovely, but sorry I can't help either.
As Phil said there are lots of folk on this forum who will try to find out some info for you.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
Not really sure where this taverna is but from your description, and the picture, as Phil said, it could be quite near to Angelocastro (spelling suspect)! or that village where the residents all jump out in front of your car trying to sell honey or wine.  An experience in itself, but we have got used to it by now.  I would love someone to come up with the answer.  I have been going to Arillas since 1998 and have seen changes but all to the advantage of us and the local people, so I'm sure you'll really notice the difference.  As to the hostel on Kontokali, I have no idea but again would love someone to come up with the answer.  Perhaps Dimitris may have some clues.
Ann x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
This looks like the taverna straight out of Angie's epic novel!!!

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
Was that Angie as in me Jo?? I have to say it looks familiar especially the sign writting of Cafe.

Not long to wait Jo as my "and then there were 3" adventure will start in a few weeks. Im sure I will pen several pages accompanied with photos for your pleasure.

I had been working on another story bit more of a romantic one, but I shelved it once I got back work, I may revisit one day.

Angx

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
Yes Ang, I did mean you. There's tons of variations on here so very confusing!can't wait for the next chapter!!

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
Jo, just for you Im going to finish the first Arillas adventure before we set off on our next.
Ang xxx

Offline lonegroover

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »
Thanks Val, Ann, Jo and Ang for your responses. Finding the location after 35 years was always going to be a bit of a long shot, but "if you don't ask, you don't get"  ;-) ....I appreciate all the feedback.
The weather here in Scotland is *now* just starting to improve , but my wife and I are very much looking forward to our visit next month....I just need to polish up my back-gammon and I'll be all set :-)
Cheers, John

Offline lonegroover

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
Hi Folks,

A quick update following our visit.  My wife and I are just back from a very enjoyable week in Corfu where it was a nice 35C every day. We were very impressed with the island's scenery and also the friendliness of the local population.

We didn't manage to find the restaurant pictured above although we did have a good try!  We travelled extensively on the island and I was glad to see a lot of it was still recognisable even after 35 years (well, perhaps from Sidari!).   At least I've now got a good idea of where the restaurant *isn't* , and also a good excuse to pay another visit in the near future ;-)

I did however manage to get a couple of "then and now" shots in other locations, and also found the site of the old 1970s youth hostel at Kontokali. I've posted the photos on Flickr, in case anybody wants to see them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonegroover/sets/72157630285735388/with/7442325478/

By the way, for those considering travelling to Corfu we had no issues with money. All the ATMs we visited were working and restaurants were happy to take credit cards also.

Many thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

John

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »
Hi John
Glad you and your wife enjoyed your visit, even though you didn't find the taverna, it seems as if you had a great time.  35 degrees!  What's that!  As long as it's still that temp when we arrive in August I'll forgive!
Ann x

Offline lonegroover

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
Hi John
Glad you and your wife enjoyed your visit, even though you didn't find the taverna, it seems as if you had a great time.  35 degrees!  What's that!  As long as it's still that temp when we arrive in August I'll forgive!
Ann x

Hi Ann,

Yes, after this "summer" in the UK 35 degrees was a bit of a shock...(it was nearer 40 when we left last Friday)!.... We also visited Arillas for a "look-see" and a very nice place it was too.  Enjoy your holiday in August!

Regards

John

Booking.com