Author Topic: walks from Arillas  (Read 8427 times)

Offline ANN

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
walks from Arillas
« on: May 04, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
We have enjoyed walking for miles from Arillas area towards Paleo but I wondered if it is possible to walk along the coast past san stefanos towards Peroulades and sunset beach?   :?:

Offline Mick and Jill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
walks from Arillas
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 11:09:27 PM »
Hi Ann

I have been told it is possible to walk this way.  Every time we go I keep saying we'll give it a go but never actually get round to it.  We always end up walking to Afionas, St George or San Stephanos.  Maybe this year  :)

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline ANN

walks from Arillas
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 11:26:37 PM »
We stayed in Ag. Georgios last year and puffed over the hill every other day to Arillas (I'm told I needed the exercise!). We also walked to Krini and Anglokastro.   We have plodded along the road from Sidari to Arillas several times during holidays past (I'll never forget the blisters!).
As Arillas will be our base this year I am researching walks in the other direction. I will come armed with my Sunflower book and first aid kit! :D

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
walks from Arillas
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 11:51:37 PM »
How long did it take you to walk to Sidari?   I can't try this walk in May as we are taking the Grandson but maybe end of Sept when we go.

Jill
Jill XXX

Anonymous

walks from Arillas
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 07:42:17 PM »
Sidari to Arillas took around 2 hours at a slow plod with plenty of water stops. Its a bit steep in places through Magaloudes.  We set off early in the morning and had a lovely breakfast at one of the restaurants overlooking Arillas beach.

Offline carol

• Arillas Addict
walks from Arillas
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 12:30:19 PM »
Hi,Were in Arillas at the moment and we walked to Agios Georgios a couple of days ago and it nearly killed us.We were told the walk to Afionas would take 20 minutes.It was a lovely walk through shaded olive groves with some beautiful views but took about 1 hour.At Afionas we could see down to the beach at Agios Georgios so we carried on down hill although we thought the walk was steep in places the last 20 minutes to the beach showed us what steep was so we got a taxi back.
It was a very hard walk even 1 way but well worth it.cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Neil&Sue

Walking
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 04:59:08 PM »
Have just got back from Arilas - we did quite a few walks.  We did the obvious ones, Arilas to Agios Georgis & Arilas to San Stefanos, steep but good exercise & excellent views, fine for regular walkers and even for the not so regular walkers, as there is always a Taverna handy for a drink and a rest!

We also caught the local bus (from San Stefanos) to the turn off to Peroulades (2km) on the road to Sidari, and then walked through the village and out to Drastis Cape - do go there  - it is wonderful!  It is quite a trek though!  We went again when we had the hire car and took the boat trip which was 15 euro for two people.

We also did the Heritage Walk which is excellent.

Offline ANN

walks from Arillas
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 10:39:22 PM »
We returned from Arillas last week where we enjoyed a lovely relaxing two weeks.  We did several walks on the cooler days - Much more enjoyable than  in June when it was really too hot to come out of the shade.
I am quite proud to have walked to Anglokastro and back again. Some of the track up to Krini is quite steep.

In reply to my own question about walking to the north of Arillas, we found an easy circular walk:

Walk to San Stefanos by whichever route you have discovered during your stay.
Approaching San Stef from the Arillas road, look for the Paradise Taverna and Spiro's Supermarket. (This is the last chance to buy water etc until you return to Arillas)

Turn into a road at the side of the supermarket, passing a tennis court on the left.  This quiet country lane meanders through olive groves for about 20 mins until, after a sports ground on the left it meets a main road junction.

Stop to gasp and gulp some water!
You could think I'm crazy, forget the walking and turn left back down into San Stef.  
The track on the right? don't know where that goes - yet!

If you are still with me follow the road ahead towards Avliotes. In less than 5 mins when you first spy a BP petrol sign look for a track on the right. (before the petrol station).
Take your time strolling along this track - it passes throgh a small village and olive groves so is mostly in shade.  The track has many turn offs but apart from a sharp right bend in front of the last house in the village keep straight ahead.  There are some lovely views from both sides of the ridge.  

After 30mins there is a white wall to sit and rest.  This is at a crossroads. Carry on straight up for another 5mins and the track meets a road. Turn right into Magoulades. Turn right at the village and it's downhill all the way back to Arillas.

There must be lots of detours from this route and I would love to hear any suggestions before I return to Arllias in May '05.

By the way. Don't get the impression that we are superfit walkers. I am fat, unfit and usually trail about 100 yards behind hubby who is very patient.  He always administers whatever water, first aid, sympathy and  encouragment is needed to get us to the next bar.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
walks from Arillas
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 11:49:18 AM »
Hi, That sound's a nice one, we did a few walk's in October, but Pete wouldn't go off the beaten path as we had no idea if we were allowed to walk through the olive groves or not, reckon we may get a bit more adventurious in May. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
walks from Arillas
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 12:04:39 PM »
Hi Ann.
We did walk up the hill and over to san stef and back again and that was bad enough for us.Even the fit 15 year old was huffing and puffing.We are next there the beginning of june so might give your walk a try if it isnt too hot.

Booking.com