Author Topic: Currency  (Read 12690 times)

Offline buzz1107

Currency
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
Hi there, just wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice, I am flying out to arillas on the 25 June and am not sure whether to take euros or sterling. With the current situation in Greece I thought I may get a better exchange rate in Greece. If anyone is there now or has just returned I would appreciate any info. The rate in uk today is 1.1875. Thanks

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: Currency
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
I usually find it works out about the same. You tend to get a lower rate in the UK but don't pay commission anywhere these days - whereas in Greece, you get a slightly higher exchange rate but have to pay commission.

I always changed it in Greece, thinking I was helping them by doing that but in actual fact, Jimmy told me last year that they can make a loss if the exchange rate for them deteriorates before he gets to the bank.
Sandy x

Offline TraceyB

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
Hi I was in Arillas in May (Kaloudis) & the rate was 1.23, I changed my currency in Dawson & Sanderson before I went, the rate was 1.21 but I wasn't charged any commission

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
I got 1.18 at the bank yesterday, but only changed enough to cover taxi and first day, a good friend in the know told me to get some US dollars, but to be honest I've given up on speculating on the euro.

Im going on holiday and thats all that matters
Ang

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:45:44 PM »

Think you are right Ang. It doesn't matter what the rate is, the important thing is we spend our money in Arillas.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
We have Euros and Pounds, 80/20 split. I agree, as long as its spent in Arillas thats all that matters :-)

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
www.thomas global ..is E121...........yammas

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »
1.23 to the GBP in Olga's today.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »
What commission is Olga charging?
Sandy x

Offline hannahshepherd

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img]http://ti
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
I got 1.20 today in the UK and I think you can get 1.21 at sainsbury's.

Offline buzz1107

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:43:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, I ended up getting 1.21 today and will probably take a bit of sterling as well. Does anyone know if prices have shot up with the Greek financial problems at the moment. Corfu has always been excellent value for money as far as eating and drinking out has been concerned.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »
1.23 to the GBP in Olga's today

This may sound a silly question but how do you change money at Olga's, with cash (£'s), debit card, traveller cheques? I have only used ATM's since I stopped taking traveller cheques about eight years ago, and it would be nice to get euro's in Arillas again.

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Terry, a lot of places do it, you just take your currency in and ask to change it, they calculate the figure and give you the euros less a little commission, still works out better than changing it here as the rate is higher (was last year anyway).  Couldn't be easier x
Cheryl O

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

Terry, most places change cash or t/cheques, I think we have changed in Theo's car hire, Olgas and Marina in the past.
Read in the press today that ATM's in Greece will be restricting the amount you will be able to take out and advise anyone who usually uses this method on holiday to have a plan-B.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline peggy1945

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »
We used Olga and Marina several times to change sterling in May.  It was 1.22 at that time and we paid 2% commission.  If you use a card then the rate is determined by the card company.

Chris & Richard

Booking.com