Author Topic: Places to visit  (Read 15850 times)

Offline rorum277

Places to visit
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:35:29 AM »
Hi there, new to this forum. Going away at the end of next month and thinking about hiring a little jeep for a couple days. Was just wondering where on the island would you recommend going. Any places to visit, nice towns etc.
Many thanks :)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Places to visit
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Point the car towards Kassiopi, maybe taking a small detour to see Sidari. Perhaps stop off at Roda, on the way, and then take a look around Acharavi.
Move on to Kassiopi but , before Kassiopi, take a left to Agios Spiridon beach.

Or.... go in the other direction to Makrades/Lakones. This is a right, at the top, after all those Troumpeta bends. Close to Lakones you will find directions to Anglakastro. This is an old ruined castle at the top of a hill. Super veiws and a good place to look around.
From here you could continue on th Paleokastritsa. At the end of "Paleo" you can visit the monastery there.

Or..... Take a trip to Corfu Town and spend some time nipping down side streets to find some extra Greek atmosphere. Maybe pay a visit to the New Fort.

Cheers
Negg

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
Take a trip down to Pontikonisi,
Sit on the causeway and watch the planes landing at the airport.
Gilfayda Beach and Pelikas village.
Take the coast road down to Paleokastritsa.
A visit to Achillion Palace.
AFIONAS and watch the sunset from the view point
Mount Pantokrator.
Kassiopi (love Kassiopi)
Or just point the car drive then stop where you fancy, you wont be dissapointed.

Or drive down to the Rainbow and take your darts with you, if Eggy's there you can give him a thumping on the dart board .....lol

Offline Martin_G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »
Head down to Paleo first, mind the villagers trying to sell their wares on the way, I always coast down the hill and catch them by suprise lol.. they tend to run out in the middle of the road as you approach!!

Then down into corfu town, lunch, and depending on the day, the causeway getting up close and personal with planes coming into land/take off.

Then upto Spartilas with view over Ipsos/Dassia and onward Mt Pantokrator, its 906m up and the ride up in the Jeep is amazing, afternoon tea taking in the views, before dropping down to Angi for some R&R and evening meal..

Then back round the coast road towards Sidari taking in the sun set on route.

Long day, but you see so much of what Corfu has to offer.

M.

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
If you have transport I would definately say visit Sunset Beach in Peroulades just outside Sidari especially early evening. It is something very special.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:25:41 PM »
JohntheRef made the perfect point
Or just point the car, drive, then stop where you fancy. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for our day tour in 2010 John. You proved conclusively that you are right about this!

Phil

Offline rorum277

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to traveling the island in a couple weeks :)
I'll let you all know how I get on. I plan on hiring a car from Arrilias Cars as I've heard good things about these.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »

They are excellent.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline kvarnell

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »
I would deffo visit Mouse island and sit on the causeway watching the planes, we did it last year, stayed for the night and also watched the night traffic, stunning. While you are there visit Starbucks at Kanoni and sip an iced Frappe with stunning views over the runway and the island.

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:05:28 AM »
I agree with all the previous suggestions but will add another route for some excellent view points.
From Arillas go south to Afionas and then through Agios Georgios and on to Pagi village. In Pagi turn right through Prinilas and over the mountain (great views) to Makrades. Pop in to Angelokastro (fort ruins). Then go down through Lakones to Paleokastritsa.
Afionas alone is well worth a trip.

Booking.com