Author Topic: Snorkelling?  (Read 4129 times)

Offline tim71149

Snorkelling?
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
Would be pleased to know if it is possible to hire snorkelling equipment in the resort.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Snorkelling?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
The best guy to talk to, when you are here, is Gary who plays a major part in the Arillas boat hire and fishing.

Cheers
Negg

Offline Arillaslad

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
Hi,

Just got back from Arillas on Sunday 8th July adter a fantastic 10 days out there.

The weather was amazing and the sea was mirror flat.

This pursuaded us all to have a go at snorkling around the concrete pier.

We purchased several snorkels and masks from the local shops (vary in price from 6 to 10 euros).

I would advise to source somewhere in England to purchase said snorkel and mask though as the ones from the shops lasted about 3 days before they started leaking, i think all that glorious sunshine breaks down the plastic/rubber whilst they sat on the stands.

I would highly recommend a snorkle around the pier though as there are some fantastic fish to look at, you can even buy an underwater camera from the shop next to Hotel Marina for 8 euros.

Very jealous you will soon be out there as it is such a beautiful place. Can't wait to go back there next year!

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »
Snorkel packed ........for 4 weeks on Saturday !  he he
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline nicmccluskey

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
Hiya! Yes, the pier is good to snorkel and as Eggy said, Gary at the boat hire on the front is the person to ask. I would try buy a mask and snorkel here. Tesco do them. Also, you can buy underwater disposable cameras here very cheeply. Lastly, on this web site, Dimitris has put a video of underwater footage at the pier. Enjoy!

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »
A decent snorkel and mask can be purchased on ebay for between £20-£30 I use mikes diving and Carolyn has got 4 summers out of it so far and its still great. I paid about £20 for mine 15 years ago and its just starting to go now.

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
Just a tiny clip of two people snorkeling around the jetty

Offline ruby

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the clip Terry just sorting out holiday things for Friday will pack snorkel and mask. My 10yr old daughter loves to snorkel i will show her the clip when she gets back from school. Counting down the days.

Nan

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:55:16 PM »

Offline BlueHeather

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Dizzy Blonde Cat Woman
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »
That was pretty amazing Nan .... was this around the pier / jetty thingy???
Women are like angels....   And when someone breaks our wings,
we simply continue to fly......usually on a broomstick.
We're flexible like that   ;-)

Nan

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 11:49:25 PM »
These photos were taken on the little reef just to the left of the steps down to the beach up by the Kaloudis. You can see the dark shadow of the stones from the beach.

This is my favourite place to snorkle as you can swim around the stones and see lots of fish. The end of the jetty is good too but I'm always a little wary of the waves and big rocks. I don't want to get in the way of the peeps who like to fish there, getting tangled in their lines is not good.

Having said that it is lovely to snorkle under the little bridge when the sea is calm and see both sides.  Best to be careful of the boats moored up on the left side of the jetty. The water can get quite deep suddenly due to the waves washing the sand away.

As always take care, enjoy and don't worry!

Nan x

Offline Angela66

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
Hi all

I would second Nan's suggestions as to the steps from the Kaloudis beach entry.  I saw some fantastic very pretty fish in that area - much prettier than any I have seen previously in the Med.  Normally I have only been fortunate enough to see silvery coloured fish but around the rocks below the Kaloudis I saw colorful ones (although for the life of me I cannot remember what the actual colours were).  I was not even aware that such colourful fish could be found in the Med so was pleasently surprised.

Regarding face masks, I would suggest silicon ones, to be found on diving internet sites.  They provide a better seal.  I would not bother with fancy snorkles though as the ones I purchased leaked this year, after only been used on one previous holiday.  I ended up buying cheap replacement snorkles from the supermarket near the boat hire.

Booking.com