Author Topic: Should I return?  (Read 13409 times)

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Should I return?
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
I haven't holidayed in Arillas since May 2011. On my last visit, although I enjoyed my holiday I left with a sense of disappointment. It wasn't because of the place that we stayed, The Mirage, Nikos and Angela were the perfect hosts as always. The problem that I had was how quiet the town was. Don't get me wrong, what I love about the town is it's tranquility but during our last visit, resaurants had closed and the whole place had a general air of tiredness. I was fearful that as a holiday destination the days were numbered for Arillas. I am looking to book to return in the summer of 2013 and can someone let me know, have things picked up? I will be travelling with my wife and two kids who will be 17 and 14, is there still enough to attract us all?

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Should I return?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
Just got back from 3 weeks there mid July to early August. Not ony was it busy, but the Whispers bar has just re-opened, and the Malibu and Coconut were doing OK. Have never seen it in August before but to get a table in most of the tavernas you had to book. The beach is a new shape, but look at recent Arillas Today posts for pictures by Eggy. There were plenty of bodies all over it and Eggy jokingly said you have to queue up to get on it!

All of the tavernas were open from Kaloudis to Graziella, and all alog the back road.

Not quite as busy as I've seen in the past, but that may be a bonus for visitors.

It depends what dates you choose.
Hope this helps.
Phil

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
I haven't holidayed in Arillas since May 2011. On my last visit, although I enjoyed my holiday I left with a sense of disappointment. 

Mick your post tells you what to do.

On your last visit you enjoyed your holiday, (reason to return).
Left with a sense of disappointment.

I think all of us regular visitors have a sense of disappointment when we see Arillas trying to cope with this world wide recession.

Numbers may have been down but if we all decide not to return then our little slice of heaven will suffer and decline, 
We need Arillas to flourish and grow, we need people to return.

After returning from two weeks at the Rainbow and again meeting up with four couples who were first time virgins last summer, we have all decided to return again on the same dates next year.
Our tenth time, their third.

You know what to do Mick….see you there.

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Mick, I've been lucky enough to visit Arillas at least twice, sometimes more, a year for the last few years. I'm always disappointed when I have to leave.

I was there early May last year before many of the tavernas opened, but it was a great opportunity to see how much work is done before they open and you really get to know the people who always have time for a coffee and a chat. My only doubt is for your two lads, there isn't a lot for teenagers really, but you know your lads, I don't.

Hope you have a great holiday together, in Arillas or elsewhere.

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
Mick
We have just returned from our first visit to Arillas. Loved it and will return. My kids are 18 and 14 and they were not bored.We hired a car for 3 days and travelled round the island which broke it up a bit for them but the atmosphere is so relaxed that they just chilled. Normally at home they fight like cat and dog but out there it was fight free!!! Both said they would like to return. I would just go for it!

Ness

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:14:52 PM »
Hi Mick, well as i'm sure you know, we sort of like Arillas.  I have just returned from Tsilivi in Zante as it was my sisters wedding.  We went there 20 years ago when it was very similar to Arillas.  Today the place is totally unrecognisible, all i did was pine to be in Arillas. There was bar upon bar, 'authentic Greek taverna's' with spring rolls on the menu (!) and a Subway.In the 13 years we have visited we have only seen Arilla Inn close and a few of the trourist shops. We have been when it has been very busy and also when we have felt it was quiet. I would give anything to be back there right now with those chilled out taverna's. I imagine that you would also feel like this when you try somewhere else.

Offline jebbo

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
Hi Mick,

As someone who has been going to Arillas since 1991 I can only say GO  BACK. You said you were there in May. That can be a little quiet as it is right at the start of the season and some places are still trying to get themselves sorted out!

I have been there at all times of the season, and always enjoyed it, even if not all the places I like to go have been open.

I rather like the quiet times as the locals have more time to spend with you in the bars and tavernas.

Don't give up on the best place on earth :-) You will never regret going there!

Jebbo

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
Mick - I agree with all previous comments .....

Next month will be our twelfth visit to Arillas - our first was in May 2007, then not again until May 2009 (my daughter got married in 2008).  We loved our second visit so much we've been twice very year since - always in May and again in September/October

We have also noticed that Arillas is not quite as busy as it used to be, but it's the same in most places, and at least you know that in Arillas it is our friends who live and work there that put in the effort to make Arillas the best place in earth ...  It's not some big commercial place where you see "English Bar" and "Irish Bar" and that sort of thing - it's just some lovely, friendly Corfiots who work very hard to make your holiday the best ever.

I reckon that if you enjoy it I am sure your wife will, and kids of 17 and 14? Well - they've a lovely sea to swim in, many fantastic pools to swim in, lots and lots of lovely people to talk to - and the food - well, don't get me talking about how great that is ..!  If all else fails I'm sure they'll be able to use a few free wifi spots as well

That's me off my soap box (for a while anyway!).  We're going back for two weeks on 21st September, staying at Horizon, and already waiting for the flights to be released by Easyjet for next May.

Go - and you will enjoy!

Janis x

Offline pdkirk

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:30:05 PM »
Having been to arillas on numerous occasions since 1994, back then with children 7, 12 and 14, we all loved it that much hence returning so many times, when our children were the same age as yours they met up with other children from around the rainbow, they all trotted off down the malibu for a couple of hours in the evening, the area is safe for teenagers to go around in groups, our youngest now 25 has returned with friends and september we are going with our eldest daughter and grandaughter. Arillas hasn't changed a great deal in all the years we have been going but it always feels like home whenever we return. I'm sure you will get hooked like us for your children to want to return. Arillas is a place to relax and enjoy, we love it.

Offline daisyday

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
And something your kids may enjoy - we certainly did and our 19 year old son at the time - a 2 hour horse trek (you don't have to be experienced) - one hour along the beach and one hour through olive groves.

We were concerned our 19 yr old son was going to be bored in Arillas but he found his own fun - got friendly with Billy in Kaloudis and went out on their boat for the day etc.   I am sure all the family will love it.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »
My wife, Clare and I love Arillas. We often bore our friends with our talk about our little corner of heaven. Last year friend of ours were looking at booking a holiday and said that they were considering booking a holiday to Arillas. As it was they decided against it. Clare and I spoke after and we both agreed that we were relieved that they weren't going as Arillas is "our special place". I just wonder if others felt the same way as us, which is it's too special to share. I know the local business owners wouldn't want every one to share this view but when asked we always recommend Arillas to anyone who asks.

what happened?  this does not tie in with your post at the top

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 12:20:12 AM »
Well spotted Sharon meluvver. Explanations awaited.

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
What happened? I'm not sure, I think it was at the worst possible time with the recession, the pound was fairly weak against the Euro and everything was expensive. I think with the problems with the Greek economy people were worried and maybe this affected the atmosphere. It might have been me, maybe I wasn't in a good place and wasn't receptive to Arillas's charms.  At the time I never thought that I would return but this year Arillas has called us back. Over the past few years we have gone to all inclusive resorts and I must admit it I had a sense of disappointment with those holidays which was far greater than anything I've felt when leaving Arillas. When we was planning this years holiday it was the kids who suggested we should return. We tried to book at Mirage but they were full so we will be staying at Rainbow.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »
Mick - We didn't go to Arillas from 2004 to 2013. Sometimes it does you good to have a holiday somewhere else as it is good to see other places and helps you to sort out exactly what you want in a holiday and then if you are like me, you decide - actually Arillas has everything I want.

We still do city breaks so we see other places but we have decided if it is just a beach/sun holiday we want then we will continue to go to Arillas. Apart from next year when we may go to Thailand to see my brother in law who lives there but I am sure if we do that we will be longing to get back to Arillas the year after.

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »
My son has decided he's coming again next year and bringing his girlfriend.

Booking.com