Author Topic: Newbie needs advice please :)  (Read 10544 times)

Offline SunshineGal77

Newbie needs advice please :)
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »
Hello,

I have just booked a week's holiday at the Bardis Sun Studios and am very excited yet a tad nervous. I have never been to Corfu before, but after reading the fabulous reviews of the Bardis Sun I had to book!

I am travelling alone so any info and advice for the resort of Arillas would be greatly appreciated.

Are there many trips to go on - either boat or coach? Are the tavernas Greek? I'm not one for 'international' food when in Greece!

Many thanks * Katherine

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Newbie needs advice please :)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »
Might have been my reviews on TripAdvisor Katherine. Jen and I have just booked our third stay there next July. The overriding feature of these studios is the family and the welcome. The atmosphere is like and extended family celebration, and ALL of their guests are included, but not imposed on. A lovely pool, and situated maybe 150m from the gorgeous beach,and a wide range of tavernas. But all of Arillas is as welcoming and friendly. And what with the Coconut and Malibu bars, the food and the beach, you might not venture any further in a week.

Travelling solo is probably less stressful there than just about anywhere. Many solo friends go to Arillas every year, some more than once a year. Some of them will doubtless post replies for you.

Trips of all types catered for by three agents - Olga's Travel, Arillas Travel and Arkokal Travel. Simple coach to Corfu Town up to a boat to the nearby Diapontian Islands of Mathraki, Ericousa and Othoni. Boat hire, car hire from Arillas cars - it's all available.

The food is predominantly Greek, with Brouklis serving only authentic Corfiot dishes, but there is so much choice and the quality is always so high, and you cannot possibly try it all in two weeks, let alone one.

You have made an excellent choice. Stay with us on the forum to learn more.

With best wishes
Phil

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:18:32 AM »
katherine
your gonna love it ,and you on your 1st step to becoming a arilliac,as youve found this site that will help you in every way to make your a hols a hols to remember ,,yammas

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
Hello Katherine,

I did a solo trip a month ago and it was my second time doing so in Arillas. No harassment of any kind, just friendliness and goodwill every where.

Alas, I do not remember being alone much, apart from the times when I was upstairs in Brouklis where I stayed.

I hope you enjoy Bardis Sun and Arillas and I can recommend it with my whole heart :)
Life is good ;)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »
Katherine I have already replied on Trip Advisor but I echo all these comments. You have chosen well!

Offline SunshineGal77

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
Thank you all sooo much! I read lots of things on here which convinced me to book - I know I have made a good choice! The A-Z of Arillas in photos is amazing !!!

I have 8 weeks summer holiday so maybe I will return (but not to the Bardis Sun as it is full!)... I would love to hop from Corfu down to Zakynthos - just need to work out how, and be brave!

Loving this website - only 9 months to go Xx

Offline PPMMAN

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
Hello,

I have just booked a week's holiday at the Bardis Sun Studios and am very excited yet a tad nervous. I have never been to Corfu before, but after reading the fabulous reviews of the Bardis Sun I had to book!

I am travelling alone so any info and advice for the resort of Arillas would be greatly appreciated.
Are there many trips to go on - either boat or coach? Are the tavernas Greek? I'm not one for 'international' food when in Greece!

Many thanks * Katherine
All Arillas! addicts Starting this Thursday on ITV 1 @1030 Corfu A Tale of Two Islands
Better get yer best bib n tucker on Eggy you could be on camera ? New eight part series

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
Hi Katherine,

Welcome to our little slice of heaven.

Most of us were once 'never go back to the same place twice', us included. We are newbies compared to others, but 2013 will be our fourth visit in 6 years.

You will love the place, the people and the food.

Gary & Carolyn

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »
Hi Katherine,
Welcome to the forum.
First time in Corfu, first visit to Arillas, this forum will give you all the information you need,

You may be going on your own but you will never be alone in Arillas (your new friend will be sitting at the next table). All of us here have made new friends in Arillas and we are always looking to meet more. (we are like an extended family)

Arillas opens her arms to all its visitors.
The village is so welcoming and you will not want to leave

The food is some of the best you will find anywhere
Don’t be afraid to ask what’s on the menu and what it consists of.
Lots of places do daily specials, all good food at an excellent price.

You are booked into a popular place and you will be well looked after.

So don’t fret, don’t worry. A fabulous holiday awaits……by the way this will be the first visit of many, once you have been you can’t wait to get back, you will become one of us, AN ARILLIAC .
Enjoy the best place on Earth.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »
Hi Katherine,

Agree with everybody, you couldnt have chosen a better place to go for your holiday. Arillas really does have a special magic.  You will be spoilt for choice for places to eat and drink, John just said it perfectly, your new friend is at the next table or serving you.  We have met many good friends in Arillas, a new one every year :)

Arillas will wrap you up in its heart.

Sharon x

Offline SunshineGal77

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Well how lovely are all of you?! John: I almost cried when I read your post... Thank you all again, you have made me feel very welcome so quickly and I am now very excited about my holiday and not nervous in the slightest!

I found a great map/aerial shot of Arillas and it looks perfect for a relaxing week away... I am wishing I could have made it for 2 weeks but am sure I'll get a deal to go again in august.

Phil and Jen: I think we shall be at the Bardis Sun Studios at the same time.. I get there late on the 8th.

As the Bardis Studios are full for august, can anyone recommend any other places to stay please? Preferably a place that is well-lit... I don't like the dark!  :/

Love and best wishes to you all - I really am looking forward to sharing your Corfiot experiences and love for Arillas Xx

Offline Lawty

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
Hi. It depends if you want a pool or not at the place you are staying. If you are happy without a pool the best place in my opinion is the Portofino. It's about 20 steps to the beach, well lit and Spiros has rooms for rent upstairs. It's really clean and you'll be very well looked after and it's safe. Give him a ring you'll find Portofino's details on the homepage. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
Look forward to seeing you Katherine. We will be arriving at about 1 am on 13th. But we will still share a hilarious hour or three nattering to Poppy, Bobby and Katerina. Spiros and George will probably be snug in their beds with an early start to see to their guests. Actually, revise that. If he has as much sense as I'm sure he has, George will be partying, chasing the ladies....

For August, if you want a pool, Mirage is just round the corner from Bardis, on the sea front. We know and love Nikos and Angela who run it, and they have gone independent as of 2013.
http://www.miragecorfu.com/

Keep posting. The online community is as welcoming as Arillas itself. Well, virtually....

Phil

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »
Katherine - I must agree with Phil on the Mirage, Angela and Nikos are lovely people and the rooms are modern and clean. There is also the Horizon Hotel which is also right on the sea-front and their rooms are really nice too.
Of course everybody wants and/or expects different things from their holiday, but the beauty with Arillas is that it has something for everyone, not just in terms of the resort facilities but also in terms of the accommodation. About the only people that Arillas doesn't cater for is the "party set" that want to go from disco-bar to disco-bar until thay are sick and fall over, or for those that just want fish and chips and MacDonalds but in the sun. But then I guess that's why you chose Arillas in the first place!
There is no such thing as a bad Taverna/Restaurant or bad Accommodation in Arillas. It all good, but different. All the owners speak excellent English and are all very genuine and friendly. My suggestion would be that during your stay have a wander around the resort looking at other accommodation, and if you like the look of a particular place just ask if you can look at a room. Provided they are not full the owners will gladly show you their facilities, then you will have a list of places to go next time. Also, since most of them take direct bookings, and EasyJet fly from Gatwick, Luton and Manchester very cheaply, consider creating your own "package". You will find plenty of info on the forum about ways to organise airport transfers. Dimitris, the owner of Brouklis Restaurant (and rooms), and who is the web-master for this site, has created a really good resort map - you can view it and print/download it here :-
http://www.arillas.gr/map/arillas_map_pdfB.pdf
You can see from the link that it is in the form of a "pdf" file, so you will need Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you don't have that it's free to download from :-
http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
Lastly, I can echo what a number of others have already said about travelling on your own. I know a number of ladies that have done so, Arillas is a really safe place to be for the single traveller either female or male, because there are no misconceptions about your reason for being there - you are just on holiday!
There is just one drawback attached to all the advice you will get from this forum - it is not free! You will be expected to post a report, together with photographs, after your visit. Otherwise there are many - not mentioning any names Phil :-)  who will badger you until you do.
Have a great time - we all know you will :-)

Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline SunshineGal77

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
Thank you very much for all the info Geoff :) you Arilliacs have settled my nerves greatly and I can't wait for my holiday (9 months today!!!). I am flying with easyjet from Manchester, bit the bullet and booked when tickets first came out. I have always holiday'd with Thomas Cook, this is my first proper 'independent' holiday...

No worries about the review - I have written a few on Tripadvisor for places I have been and loved.

The "walk around and see" sounds like a very good idea. I have emailed Mirage for availability and now have the Bardis Hotel website for if I need to book earlier than july...

I am definitely NOT one for the disco-bars! I like to have a delicious Greek meal followed by wine or cocktails, maybe listen to a bit of live music if it's on, otherwise - that's me :)

I am also very much looking forward to watching the sunsets - they look amazing! Soon be here eh?

Best wishes * Katherine

Booking.com