Author Topic: Favourite Drink  (Read 11289 times)

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
Favourite Drink
« on: January 24, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
Great idea Eileen - as a follow on to Favourite Meal, where and what was your favourite drink in Arillas.
Mine was at the Coconut - so many years ago now that I can't remember which year it was, but I know it was the first year that Kostas and Perry had the bar. In those days there were no shutters to close the bar off, and early one morning I wandered in and asked if I could have a coffee. They were not really open, Hannah was clearing up from the night before, but you know how it is in Arillas, she made me a coffee anyway. And then proceeded to remove the cash draw from the unlocked till and count last nights takings! - As innocent as Arillas is today, it was even more so back then.
But it's not the coffee - I have strayed off the point (as usual)
It was early evening, dinner had just been consumed and I was feeling REALLY FULL. (I just don't know when to stop with all that lovely food in Arillas) Hannah was being very patient with me as I tried to decide what I could manage to drink, when Kostas brought over a small glass with a reddish-brown drink, and suggested that before I had anything else I should sip that slowly.
The drink was called Ramazotte (think that's how you spell it) - an Italian drink from Milan, which unfortunately you cannot buy in the UK as it really does work! It tasted a bit like medicine but not in an unpleasant way, and by the time I had finished it I was feeling much better and ready enough to start a good nights drinking - could even have taken on Phil after that :-)  (sorry mate)
That was my favourite drink in Arillas, not just because of the drink, but because of the wonderful kindness and hospitality that it came with.
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
Re: Favourite Drink
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
the drink of the gods ,,,mythos,ouzo ,and metaxa for me ,,,yammas,why else go to greece what for the john smiths lol.xx nooooooooo

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »
OUZU ,,,,,, power !
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
Mythos Black Sambuca Ouzo :-)

Offline claire43

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
One very hot lunchtime last August, I came back to the apartment that we had rented from Alex and Stella,to meet up with my children who had been chilling by the  Marina pool. My husband had prepared a lunch of bread, tomato salad and olives. Alex came by ,saw us eating and went to an outbuilding and came and gave us bottle of wine made from the grapes hanging over us on the verandah! It was a rose wine,not normally our tipple but it tasted just wonderful!.... Arillas grapes with Arillas kindness,mixed in!

P.S. wanted to vote for meal but spent so long 'thinking'... ran out of time!....

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
What lovely memories you have. I can just picture it Claire, I'd love to be sitting on that verandah now..  Geoff I agree, the drink, wonderful kindness and hospitality make for a heady cocktail.

Kev, Truth & Tony...no messing about with you three..straight into it ;-)

Our first night in the Mathraki in 2003 saw Keith and Akis standing waiting patiently at the bar as I tried to make my mind up what to drink...you know how that first drink sets the pace for the rest of the evening...it's an important decision!

After much leg pulling from Keith and Akis which really did bug me...lol...I need full concentrating for big decisions like this.  Eventually Akis said he was going to choose for me. He poured a Jack Daniels and lemonade...and the rest as they say is history....

Whenever I go into the Coconut I don't even have a choice in the matter...it's on the bar and plonked in front of me...Akis...you have a lot to answer for! :-) xxxx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »
Mythos!

Until recently, I only ever got it in Arillas so it is always associated with being in my favourite place and feelings of intense peace and happiness.

Phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:55 PM »
Mythos!

Until recently, I only ever got it in Arillas so it is always associated with being in my favourite place and feelings of intense peace and happiness.

Phil

What??? No vodka frappe!  I would have put a bet on that Phil.xxxxxxxxx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »
Retsina every time....
Sandy x

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
Well let me see, what shall I go for.
There's .....and then there is....or perhaps a.....
Diet Coke, 
I remember when Alex who worked at the rainbow brought us a Mythos and a Diet Coke. He gave the Coke to Dot and the Mythos to me, when Dot exchanged the Coke for the Mythos and swiftly downed it he looked at us bemused and walked away shaking his head, at which point Dot called him back and said I'll have another please.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »
That's tickled me John! I hope you are keeping well mate?
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »
It's gotta be a karafaki of Ouzo, a bucket of ice, some olives and the sunset as seen from Thalassa, with Spiros choice of music in the background. Roll on June!

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:51:52 AM »

Mine would have to be Ouzo for my late evening drink, white wine with dinner and frappe during the day (no vodka Phil).

Bill has a list, so I'll start from about 11am. Royal Ionian, white wine with his bread and olives in the afternoon then more Royal Ionian or if we pass the Coconut Hannah will call him in for what she calls 'his' black beer, Corfu bitter in a bottle with a black label, then pre dinner Ouzo on the balcony. White wine with dinner and more Ouzo to finish the night off. All this can be consumed in various amounts, his only problem is that he has two hands but only one mouth! ;)

Val x

The love affair continues.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
Ice cold Royal Ionian Gold or Pilsner in a chilled glass gets my vote.
Life is good ;)

Offline chezphil

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
  • cant wait
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
For me it must be that first glass of mythos as you 1st arrive of the coach to the rainbow as you know youve made it, and its now time to relax enjoy the company, and all arillas has to offer

Booking.com