Author Topic: Bird Life (feathered)  (Read 21118 times)

Offline John I

Bird Life (feathered)
« on: October 10, 2005, 01:50:41 AM »
Less than two weeks to go before we arrive for our first holiday in Arillas.
Whilst holidaying in the Med' region over the years I have always enjoyed
looking out for all bird species. Does anyone know of the local birdlife or recommend an area or place to visit  :?: Seeing a few House Sparrows would be OK, as they now seem to be a rarity in Lancashire!  :(
John I

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Feathered Birds
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:42:19 PM »
You should hear plenty of birds in Arillas.  We have just come back and we heard and saw them throughout the day.  However, if you want more variety, try going to Agios Spiridon (beyond Acharvi but before Kassiopi).  If you park at the end of the small sheltered beach you can cross the lagoon and walk across into the nature reserve, some of which is open moorland (or the Corfu equivalent!) and some of which is wooded.  I know nothing about birds - but I know that I have seen a wide variety here!

Offline Lindypops

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Bird Life (feathered)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:06:21 PM »
Hi. I`ve seen lots of birds in Arillas, especially a beautiful barn owl. I looked out, and it was staring at me. Next time I loked, it was gone. It was lovely.
Lindypops.

Offline John I

Birds (Feathered)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 01:11:25 AM »
Thanks Eggy & Lindypops, Your contribution has increased my interest. I intend to hire a car for a few days, and taking a drive to Agios Spiridon, to see what might be there. There has to be more birdlife  than the barren moor-land around Bolton!   :?
John I

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
Bird Life (feathered)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 09:31:08 PM »
Hi John

I used to visit Horwich quite a lot as a child as my family came from Bolton and I had a godmother who lived in Horwich, fairly close to the reservoir.

Arillas is certainly very different and lovely and green with plenty of birds.  Don't forget to go on the Heritage Walk as I'm sure you'll enjoy that.  I think you will be there the same time as Roy and I so hope to meet you.  We are staying at the Brouklis from 17th - 24th.

Fiona

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
Bird Life (feathered)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »
Just returned & spotted a Robin  in a hedgerow at the rear of the Marvel hotel(well it was brown with a red breast) I`m no expert

Offline John I

Bird Life (Feathered)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 01:08:55 AM »
Wow, Just returned from Arillas. Had a really great time. We too stayed at the Marvel Hotel. Spent much time watching from the balcony of our room, where we saw lots of Robins, White & Gray Wagtails, plus two new birds to me; Serin (a Finch) and lots of Black Redstarts. They seemed as plentyfull as the robins!
Yes Neg, we did manage to get to the Nature Reserve at Agios Spiridon where I had positive views of two new birds; Red-backed Shrike and Sardinian Warbler. There were many fleeting-views of "interesting" birds, but most birds seemed very nervous of people, darting for cover whenever disturbed. I got the impression they are regularly shot at? Whilst walking around the Reserve, we happened upon an enormous Tortoise. Are they common on Corfu?
My fifth new bird was walking along near the beach in Arillas, a Crested Lark.
Fiona, we took a print-out of the Heritage Walk from the web-site with us to Arillas, but we couldn't work out where the start point was or recognise any of the place-names. So sadly we didn't manage to do the walk. We shall do it next time in Arillas.
Many thanks to all your help. John I
John I

Offline John I

Bird Life (Feathered)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 01:16:30 AM »
Sorry Eggy, It should have been you I was  thanking, not Neg.
John I
John I

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Birds
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:37:34 PM »
John
Egg , Negg , Eggy - It's all the same to me so no problem . Glad you had a good time. Yes , Tortoises are supposed to be fairly common around Corfu but I have only seen 3 in all the years I have been visiting.
I also believe that, in Winter time, quite a few people do go out shooting usually very early in the morning.
Cheers
Negg

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
birds
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 08:39:40 PM »
Hi all,
The big tortoise are in the flower bed at the Amorada.
Also John did you take any pictures of the birds you saw?
If so send them to me :Link on site below.

http://www.arillas.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

kes

Booking.com