Author Topic: Walking in March & April  (Read 22702 times)

Offline PaulnMaria

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Walking in March & April
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
We have taken advantage of the early flights to Corfu this year to spend a week walking in & around Arillas. It is lovely to see Corfu outside of the main holiday season - the beaches after the storms of winter, locals busy with their olive harvests and preparing their businesses in ready for the coming season. We walked to Sidari the other day and it was so strange to see the resort sleeping rather than the busy vibrant centre it is in the main season. The weather is perfect for walking, not too hot and just occassional showers. If you enjoy walking in the lake district we are sure you will enjoy walking in Corfu this time of year.

Offline PaulnMaria

Re: Walking in March & April
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
Forgot to mention how stunning the wild flowers look this time of year too!

Offline mickandsue

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
Sounds great.
We have taken advantage of the out of season flights too. We fly out in a few days and we are looking forward to seeing Arillas out of season.
We know most places will be closed but were wondering what places are open to eat on a night.(Night Owl, Mon Amour,Akrotiri) Is the bakery open?
Any info or tips will be much appreciated.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
Ah, PaulnMaria we so understand this. Jen and I don't walk far because she can't, but for the last six years we have spent October half term in Arillas, and will probably do so again this year. It is even more gorgeous to be there at these times than in the height of the season.

You have the chance to truly enjoy the beach, the sea is warm and occasionally the weather explodes and tells you who is really in charge. But you can still have a Mythos with lovely people and chew the cud, take it easy and generally renew your relationship with life.

No wonder Jen and I see it as "the centre of our universe."

Phil

Just got the warning of your post Mick and Sue. I might be wrong, but I think all of your places will be available. In Arillas itself, try Armourada and Marvel.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:46:44 AM »
sounds sublime..

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
It is Jo,
Not brave enough to try a dip in the sea yet Phil,
mickandsue we have been well fed & watered at the Hotel Marvel which is open along with the Armourada all week. I would suggest popping in to have a chat with kostas during the daytime as they will prepare anything you want with a little forward planning. The guys at the Armourada have been most welcoming and whilst the menu is somewhat limited compared to the summer there are usually several choices available. The bakery is open every morning, night owl and akriotiri seem to be open weekends only, not sure if akriotiri is doing food though as we only stopped for drinks during the day. Called in to the mon amour today but only serving drinks, not sure of evening opening but I'm sure the local residents will have more info. We've been so lucky with the weather & hope you are too. Enjoy your stay, we certainly have :)

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »
Forgot to mention beach point cafe ( ex creperie ) serves drinks during day & evening and will rustle up a toastie but not doing normal food menu yet. Still a nice place to sit & enjoy the views.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
Arillas is very special when it is quiet. PaulnMaria have said it so eloquently.  It is well known how much I adore being there at any time of year, and I truly understand why they have enjoyed it so much.

The "social whirl" of the summer is enjoyment on a plate, but the inner peace you get from strolling along a deserted seafront, getting your legs (or even more) wet in the warm sea (I'm talking October, not April!!!) is priceless.   

Thanks for sharing with us.
Phil

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »
Late September early October  and that warm sea is something I hope I will be able to do this year. enjoy early early season
PaulnMaria.

Offline PaulnMaria

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »
The splash from the waves breaking at the end of the jetty wasn't too cold today to be honest & the sunset tonight was as beautiful as ever. Can't believe a week has passed so quickly. Nice to see the changes occurring for the coming season but our lips are sealed & you will have to come & see them yourselves :)

Offline mickandsue

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »
Thanks for the info. We will put it to good use.
Sounds like you have had a wonderful time.
We are on count down now and are sure that an out of season Arillas will live up to our expectations.

Offline hippopotandmouse

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
Amourada is open, think they do food most times, Night Owl open for drinks every night, and food on Fri, Sat and Sun evenings, Mon Amour also open. For provisions, Baretta supermarket on way to Kavadaddes is open every day.

Offline adairsl

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »
Phil
Very naughty of you trying to start another summer "social whirl" thread!
I will resist the temptation!
Oliver.

Booking.com