Author Topic: ATM  (Read 60824 times)

Offline hampshire hawker

ATM
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »
We are looking forward to our first holiday in Arillas next month. Is the ATM reliable and is it refilled on a regular basis. We usually take a preloaded card which we use only to withdraw cash as and when we need it. Thanks for any help

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: ATM
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »

Not heard any complaints about the ATM.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline HeatherE

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
the rate on the ATM was about 1.06etc, not as good as the others in Arillas imho

Offline hampshire hawker

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
Many thanks for your replies.
If the current exchange at the ATM is only 1.06 when it is 1.13 here I shall look at Travellers Cheques. Does anyone know what the current rate is for them ?

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:08:53 PM »
hampshire ,hawker
the atm in arilas was fine the last time we used it,the exchange rate in resort is about e116,less commision ,,theres also another atm in san stef at the thomas bay hotel,i use thomas global exchange they seem to give a good rate ,,,yammas

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

You might also consider to hire a safe at your accommodation and bring Euros and then you could get the best rates in the UK. Lots of people do this.

Val x

Offline hampshire hawker

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
Hi Kevin.G
Bearing in mind that Heather E says the rate is 1.06, when did you get 1.16 - was it this year. I usually load a prepaid card from Sainsburys with Euros so presumably there won't be any commission and there is no charge for drawing cash from an ATM on that card.

Offline hampshire hawker

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help. I would particularly like to hear from anyone over the coming weeks who is either in Arillas or just come back and has used the ATM throughout their holiday. We are a little worried by the fact there is only 1 ATM and don't want to have to go to Sans Stefanos to get cash in the event of a malfunction or because it has run out of cash 

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
hampshire hawker, we take Sterling Travellers cheques. We get them from our bank for free, and pay the commission to Arillas Travel when we change them.

Relying on any ATM not to fail (and spoil a day's holiday) is not what we do by choice. A power cut could achieve the same result and leave you stressing about cash. In truth, we could put most of our needs on credit with our friends, but we hate doing that more than anything else.

Phil

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
We always take a mix of cash (euros and sterling), travellers cheques and a card just for emergencies. There are lots of places where you can get cheques and sterling changed ( - including most of the hotels and appartments), and as Phil says, if the ATM is out of action for any reason, you will usually be offered 'credit' (- "pay me tomorrow" or even "pay me next year"!!).

Offline Karen/Colin

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
Does anyone ever use those preloaded cash cards in the tavernas or hotels for paying for meals? Would the marina or Horizon give cash back on them?

karen

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
Just to say that the 'ole ATM was beeping away merrily this afternoon.

Karen/Colin - They never give me cash back  - When I try it , I get a screen display saying "DON'T BE SILLY!- YER 'AVING A LAUGH GUV"
- Maybe it's just me.

Exchange in all your favourite places was e1.16 today.

Negg

Offline hampshire hawker

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
I think to be on the safe side, we will take travellers cheques. Should we buy Sterling or Euro cheques and what commission is charged on them.
Thanks for all your help

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »

We buy Euros commission free from Ice Bank on line.....delivered next day before 1pm by courier. They are usually the best rates.
Put them in a safe with all other personal things (passports, tickets, jewellery) and know that everything is safe.

Val x

Offline Ron and Sue

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
Am in Arillas now.Rate is 1.15 which equals 1.125 after commision.If you can better than that in UK suggest you buy euros there and use safety box over here.

Booking.com