Author Topic: Taxi Share 23 August....  (Read 6862 times)

Offline kaz

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Taxi Share 23 August....
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »
Hi Folks

We are returning to Arillas on the 23rd August for two weeks, arriving about 12.00 (midday) on the Leeds/Bradford flight... anyone interested in sharing a taxi????

p.s. some cheap Thomson flights from the north for that date (2 weeks duration) L/B £130 return, Man and B'ham £130 (even as low as £108 if you don't mind a night flight....you know you want to!!!

Regards Karen/Richard

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
Re: Taxi Share 23 August....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »
They're excellent value flights Karen! If i can find some decent flight prices for next year, i think i'll be booking independently instead of through a travel agents.
Are they better prices when booking in advance or because they're late deals?

Rachel x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:16:38 AM »
Book as early as you can , golden rule !
Those are good prices with Thomson , probably as the return date is outside of the school hols .
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »
It won't be that late in the year for me Truth. I'm going back to my regular July slot for next years visit.
I'm almost a month out this year, it's almost killed me having to wait that long! lol
I've always travelled in July, i've even booked the time off work already - organised or what?! haha

Rachel x

Offline kaz

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:46:12 PM »
Hi Rachel

It's not an exact science deciding when and how to book flight only ...a lot depends on your personal circumstances and how rigid your dates are and the availability of your chosen accommodation..... if you have fixed dates and can only travel on those dates it is best to book flights early but you need to watch and strike when the time/price is right. As a rule of thumb the low cost carriers (Easy Jet/Ryan Air) are cheapest on the first few days they are released and very rarely go down as time goes on...generally they go up ... a lot!!!...you have to watch for the release dates and try and book a.s.a.p.... in the past there has been a bit of an early warning system on here so keep an eye out. It's slightly different if booking 'flight only' with the major package companies (Thomson and T/C).... I have found that their early release prices are general quite high (have a look at next years prices by way of example) but they do tend to come down a bit in Sept/Oct/Nov time to an average price and this is when I tend to book for our main June visit. Then, if your lucky and have the time and can go any time and are not too bothered if it comes off or not you can just watch for late flight only deals with the main carriers and get a second bargain break (as with our £120 return, day time flights from Leeds Bradford in a couple of weeks)... it's very much a case of 'if you see it and it suits your pocket' then book it!!! We always book independent now.. it generally works out a bit cheaper on a 2 week holiday (although you can occasionally get bargain package deals) and is always cheaper when we do 3 weeks or longer... it also gives you more flexibility.

Enjoy your Hols

Karen and Rich

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice Karen, i'm sure it will come in handy when i come to book later in the year.

It will be July when i visit next year. I have already booked the time off work, though the dates aren't set in stone yet.
My choice of accommodation hasn't yet been decided either but something rather close to the beach would be fantastic, i'll look into that later though.
One thing that i was wondering about, was whether to book my accommodation first, then find flights to fit with that or vice versa?

This booking independently thing scares me a little lol, i'm so used to just sitting in the travel agents chair and letting them do all the work for me!

Rachel x

Offline Bella

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 04:29:17 AM »
Hi, I travel abroad a lot, always independently and I always, book my flights first and then the accommodation. If you are thinking of going back to Arillas (even though you have not been there yet lol) then why not check out all the accommodation you like the look of whilst you are there this trip? They are more than happy to show you their rooms and facilities for a possible future booking and give you their website , email or telephone details so you can book direct. Arillas is a relatively small village/resort so you don't need to worry about being close to the sea as 90% of the accommodation is just a short walk to the sea in any case. Also, Corfu, is at times, very windy so being a little way back from the front offers some protection should it get squally!

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
Bella - we did exactly that!  On our circular walks in the morning we eyed up all the outside of the accommodation that we considered within our walking/staggering distance at night time - but only from the outside - and then considered them for this year's trip when we looked at packages/booking independently. 

Good idea to ask to look inside though or even pop in for a drink to get the feel of a place.

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:22 AM »
Yeah, i have already been looking into future accommodation. I have a little list of a few that take my fancy already - obviously, i'll see what they're like once i'm in Arillas and of course their availability will be the deciding factor when it comes to booking.
The accommodation itself, isn't a massive factor for me because i hardly spend any time in it anyway.
As long as it's clean, i'm happy :-)

Rachel x

Offline daisyday

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
Similar to us Rachel - location is a must - like to be near the action!  Bardis Sun Studios suit us perfectly for their location.  The reviews are also fabulous on Tripadviser and they are SOOO friendly (as are all Arillas locals).    We sort of booked with them before we booked our flights and said the number of days we would book would be flexible depending on flights and they blocked out 2 weeks for us.  In fact we are staying 12 days and they were so nice and friendly.  They are extremely reasonable too.   As we eat out every lunch and evening the accommodation is just simply somewhere to lay our head and as long as it is clean that's all that matters.... although I hear we may have to eat there one evening as the food is so fantastic!

But having been to a few Greek Islands now I have to say I think all the food in Arillas is real restaurant standard - not usual Greek Island tourist offerings.

33 days now!

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 01:42:52 AM »
Caroline, i think i must have read every Arillas review on tripadvisor now lol - i have a few favourites already but i'm thinking there's a chance they may be booked up for the time i want next year. We'll see anyway, there's plenty to choose from.

Glad it's only 9 days for me, i don't think i could contain myself for another 33! lol

Rachel x

Offline daisyday

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
Well, only 32 days now Rachel!!   But I like to think at least when you get back I still have mine to look forward to and after all those years with the kids going in July and August I'm just glad to be going in Sept.   We tend to book Sept to Greece and then March/April time do a long haul flight (now we have no kids).  This year was Mexico, next year Goa!   

But my husband and myself can't miss our "Greek fix"!

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 01:46:15 AM »
Ey! don't say that.. i haven't even got there yet!! lol

I also like my Greek fix too! I've been to Turkey and Cyprus once and every other time it's been Greece. I keep thinking i'll visit somewhere else but then i always end up back in Greece :-)

Rachel x

Booking.com