Author Topic: Akrotiri Cafe..  (Read 12768 times)

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
Akrotiri Cafe..
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:47:48 AM »
I'll be taking a stroll up to the Akrotiri Cafe at some point during my stay, but just wondered how far away it is and roughly how long it will take?

Also, i have looked online to see if i could find out the opening times, but can't seem to find anything - does anyone know how early it opens?

Unfortunately, sleep and i don't get along very well lol so will most likely be going first thing.. so would preferably like to arrive and find it open, as i imagine i'll need to sit down and have a drink or two! lol

Rachel x

Offline Bella

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Akrotiri Cafe..
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:03:13 AM »
Hey you lol! Its so much more than a cafe! - official name Akrotiri Lounge Bar - not sure what time it opens but its fab for lunch and even better to spend a night there in my opinion! Its a walk up the donkey track from Arillas - 15 -20 minutes stroll but then I do walk fast and have long legs ha ha but not to be missed at least once in your busy week xx

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:41:26 AM »
Hey :-)
Ah.. i named it that as that's what name is given on tripadvisor. I thought i had read a different name for it somewhere but couldn't remember.

I was hoping to go there for breakfast one day.
Had kind of ruled out a night visit (unfortunately) as i don't think i'd be 100% comfortable with going up there alone when it's dark!
Also i imagine it would be a great place for couples, so me rocking up on my own... i think i'd look like a bit of a billy-no-mates lol

15-20 minutes is pretty reasonable, i was expecting something close to an hour maybe. I'm also a fast walker, but one with short legs lol

Rachel x

Offline Bella

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »
Hey, from one insomniac to another lol! I'm pretty sure they don't do, or are open for breakfast but someone on here will know for sure! I have been there many times on my own at night - walked up the road though not the donkey track as that would be quite dangerous in the dark. What you don't know is that Arillas is one of the safest places you could ever be in so never a problem being out on your own at night. And to be honest, you will never feel on your own as everybody you come across will say hi or stop for a friendly chat and give advice so don't worry. A taxi up there would be cheap and worth it if you really want to go and don't want to walk.

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:16:54 AM »
I've been there at 9:00am for coffee. I think it depends on the time of year. If you go up the track it's only 10 mins from Kaloudis.

If you want to go in the evening don't worry about being alone. A lot of their clientèle are from Zorba's or Ouranos club. There are always a lot of single women there and I'm sure you'll soon be dragged into a conversation, if you want to be. Nikos is the perfect host and you do not need to concerned about safety. Arillas is the perfect place to be alone or find new friends, depending on what you want.

Enjoy!

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 04:54:53 AM »
It will cetainly be a nice walk up there anyway, breakfast or no breakfast. I can just take lots of photo's and drink lots of iced coffee! :-)
I guess once i'm there and get a true feel for the place, i may feel differently about being out at night. I definitely don't want to be missing out on anything unnecessarily! I'm constantly reading great things about Arillas so maybe i should be a little less cautious! lol

Hi Dai,

I'm not familiar with Kaloudis just yet but i'm sure i will be once i get there. I'll be staying at the Makris but i doubt that will add much time onto the journey!
I'm certainly glad to hear they're open at 9am, will be nice to just relax with a drink and enjoy the view :-)

Rachel x

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Akrotiri Just the place for sunset
Fabulous views over Arillas and San Steph
with the best Sunsets

I have missed my July visit this year roll on September

Akrotiri at sunset

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 02:19:25 AM »
That's a fabulous picture John! ..i'm tempted to steal it to use as a screen saver! hehe

You've given me an idea..

I'm going to google what time the sun rises when i'm there and possibly take an early morning walk up there. I bet i could snap a few great pictures at that time on a morning! :-)

Rachel x

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
Rachel the sunrises behind Arillas but the sunsets over the Diapontian islands are spectacular what ever you do dont forget your camera ,you will get some fantastic shots :-)
Tony

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
Don't recall what time we walked up there last year - possible 10.30 am - and we ordered two frappes (iced coffees) but we were also given free mini croissants which were delightful and we thought a very nice gesture (and a glass of free water!) - must have looked liked we needed it LOL :-)  But I think frappe is traditionally served with iced water on the side?  I'm sure someone will know.

Lovely spot.  Don't forget once you are there you are half way to San Stephanos so may as well make the trip there - all downhill..... downside is walking back uphill for return journey!   But well worth it - we always do it at least once each time we visit.  But always love coming back to dear Arillas. 

Offline Martin_G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »
Last year a group of us walked to St Steph, had breakfast then came back over the top calling on the way, that was about 11am though and they were open and busy. We then proceeded to crash there till lunch... lovely spot!! never done it for sun set though, yet lol!!

Martin

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 01:18:51 AM »
Tony, there's isn't a chance i'd forget my camera - it comes everywhere with me.. on holiday or at home! :-)

I'm looking forward to the iced coffees Caroline, i love them!.. and the mini croissants will certainly be a bonus... if i get some! lol

If Akrotiri is on the way to San Stefanos, then i'll most likely be visiting it on my first day :D I may as well because i need to go to San Stef Travel to collect some tickets for 2 days trips.

Hi Martin,
The views look so nice just from the photographs people have posted. I can't imagine how lovely it will be to see them for myself! - won't have to imagine for much longer though!! :-)

Rachel x

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »
Rachel if you if you turn left at the top of the Donkey track you will pass Akrotiri the little chapel and the shrine ,follow the path towards the house on the cliff top which you can see from Arillas you will get some great shots then you just follow the path down in to San Stef ,if you fancy a brekkie i can recommend the 2 Stars Asteria in San Stef also take a look around Marias shop plenty of goodies in there to buy.
My cameras are now packed ready to go Friday :-) Yammas
Tony 

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
A few of my pics from Arillas http://smile.webshots.com/photos#/user/you

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
We thought the "house on the hill" looked so grand and then went to see it last time and looks completely different from the top.  Not quite as exciting as it looked from the bottom!  But well worth going into the little church for a look around - beautiful. 

I'm sure they will offer you a croissant too!  We're not that special :-) LOL  I think I read a review on Tripadviser that said they got them too. 

I have to say I've missed my frappes - love them - and TRY not to drink during the day so I don't feel sleepy and miss out on more fun time so tend to stick to them during the day if I can resist the retsina .... although sometimes I weaken at lunch!!  But then need a long snooze on the sun lounger :-)

Booking.com