Author Topic: Mouse Island..  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
Mouse Island..
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:18:21 AM »
Can anyone tell me if i can get a boat trip to Mouse Island from Arillas?

I've read that people have taken a boat trip from Kanoni (wherever that is!) so just wondered whether i'd need to take a trip to a specific place first in order to get to Mouse Island or can go straight from Arillas?

Has anyone been? is it worth the trip? (silly question probably! lol)

Rachel x

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
Re: Mouse Island..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »
Rachel.
Kanoni is the small peninsula on the East of the airport runway, you will see it on the right as you first touch down at Corfu. What you probably wont see is the small island that is linked to the land by a causeway upon which is the pretty little 17th century monastery of Vlacherna, you will probably already have seen pictures of this as most travel brochures show this when talking about Corfu. The reason you wont see it as you land is that you fly right over the top of it! People quite often mistake this island as being Mouse Island, but it is in fact Kanoni island and the peninsula gets it's name from that. It stands at the mouth of a lagoon which centuries ago used to be the main port for Corfu (you will see the lagoon on the left as you land) and the island was used to house the canons to protect the port – hence Kanoni.
Mouse Island (Pontikonisi) is just beyond Kanoni and is said to be the Phoenician ship turned to stone by an angry Poseidon after the crew defied him by returning Odysseus to Ithaca.
Not sure if you can get any trips direct from Arillas, ask Cerys or Noula when you go over to San Stef Travel, Noula has been running the business for years so if anyone can fix you up they certainly can. Otherwise you may need to get the bus to Corfu town and a taxi to take you to Kanoni (it's a bit far to walk). The taxi would no doubt drop you on the car park next to Vlacherna, there is a nice little taverna there that does a great plate of mixed fish and also sells the Arillas Brewery beer!
Google "Kanoni Corfu Pictures" – there are loads!
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »
Thanks Geoff,

Looks like it's a lot further away than i had first thought.
I hadn't planned on goung into Corfu town this time around as there's lots of other things i'd like to do first.
I think the trip to Mouse Island may have to wait until next time!

Rachel x

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
Speak to Cerys about the Grand Island Tour - that takes in Mouse Island as well as the Achilleon Palace, the East Coast and Durrells house, the Monastery at Paleokastritsa, and a load of other sights - it's a good way to get a real "taster" of Corfu plus you get it all done in one day! :-)
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
Has anyone else been on this trip?  We were considering it this year (doing it through Olgas Travel in Arillas).  I think I have Olga's price list from last year somewhere....

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »
Thanks Geoff, i will.
I have already emailed her today about something so when i get a reply, i'll ask about that.

I knew that going to Corfu Town would probably take up the whole day, hense the reason why i'll have to leave it until next year. I already have 3 trips booked that will fill 2 and a half of the days so i'd just like something that i could fit into a morning or afternoon.
The other half of my time i want to spend in Arillas.

Rachel x

Offline daisyday

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
We went into Corfu town on an organised trip with Olga the first time - in reality it is just a coach that takes you there at a decent time in the morning and drops you back late afternoon and think it cost us about 10 Euros each.  That way we had a lovely lunch in there and nosey around.

Had a lovely day and will probably do that again but feel we probably haven't seen enough of the island yet!  Love Arillas so much.  Went to Sidari but that was a trip (for us) never to be repeated - reminds me exactly why I don't want to go anywhere else but Arillas in case it turns out like Sidari.

Sorry to those of you that like it!  We found it a bit too.... how should I put it.... more of an 18-30 type place.

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
I have friends that have been to Sidari Caroline, and they said the same.
When i told them i was going to Corfu, they said 'you're not going to Sidari are you, it'll be way to noisy/busy for your liking' lol
I probably wouldn't mind it during the day but unsure about night time. I wait until i see it for myself anyway.
I've been to Kos/Kardamena twice on an 18-30's because the price was so good, so you never know!

Rachel x

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Sidari tones down in the Winter and there are some super Tavernas still open which look after us all very well.

Goat stew in wine or braised. Cockerel in red wine sauce. Rabbit stiffado and a stuffed sheeps head if you are very adventurous!
plus.. of course , the very popular "ChinaTown" with Chinese chef who does a very mean menu. - Nothing gets wasted - sometimes a meal left to take away.

Sidari, for us here, comes alive in the Winter.

Negg

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 03:06:45 AM »
I too have seen Sidari in a different light at the very end of October and early November. I would never visit in height of summer, but then even Arillas can be overwhelming in mid August. I have been amongst the detractors as far as Sidari is concerned, but we can all learn with new experiences.

Phil

Booking.com