Author Topic: Hello, visiting for the 1st time soon.....  (Read 7987 times)

Offline Northerndave

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Yammas
Hello, visiting for the 1st time soon.....
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:58:48 PM »
Hi All,

Been reading the forum for the past 2 months and as it's going to be my first visit to Arillas in a couple of weeks, thought I would say hello here first. I've travelled solo before, mainly to the USA, but this is the first time in Europe (and especially Arillas), so thought I would get myself prepared in advance - lol

Got lots of questions to ask, but will do that later, so firstly, Yamas to you all.

Offline Bella

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Hello, visiting for the 1st time soon.....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »
Welcome!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »
And welcome to forum from me too, Dave. We all have our own take on Arillas, but between us we can answer just about anything you ask.

Best wishes
Phil

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
Yammas Dave!! Hope you know what you've let yourself in for!! Welcome to the fold. Erm...and we need DETAILS lol x

Offline momo

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:57:43 AM »
Yammas Dave,

We will be in Arillas in a couple of weeks too.  This will be our third visit to the most relaxing village we know. Hope you love it too, and enjoy the excellent forum.  It does add to the holiday to have inside info on the facilities etc. Remember the wine festival is on around 6th September. Maybe see you there!  Mo

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

Welcome Dave, lovely to have you as a member of the forum. Arillas is a beautiful little village and we hope you enjoy your holiday.
So ask away.....and someone will try to answer your questions. Now a question from me, where are you staying? You don't have to answer, but I am just nosy. ;)

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
dave ,dont go
or you,ll get the arillas bug that,ll make you wanna go back yr after yr ,just ask everyone ,,,lol,,,.yiammas im sure as are the others you will enjoy ,,chill go with the flow ,its not just about the place ,its also the people who make it so special, as well as being a lovely traditional village ,so enjoy..

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »
Welcome aboard.
You have just picked the holiday for the rest of your life.
You have been warned.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
Hi, Dave.  Here`s hoping you become an `Addict` - just like the rest of us!!

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Northerndave

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Yammas
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I better get answering those questions. I'm mid-40's and travelling on my own, arriving on Monday 2nd Sept for 10 days, staying at Annas Studios. I only ever go a shade of red despite trying sunbathing wherever I go, so if you see a slightly overweight lobster walking around, come and say Hi.

Never been to Corfu before and want to do a trip to Corfu town, but mainly I'm looking for lots of relaxation.

Really looking forward to some of the great dining I have heard about and to a drink in Malibu or the Nut in the evening, but can I ask if eating and drinking on your own (or at least walking into places) is considered ok in Arillas? Part of what always attracted me to the USA is that this is considered fine. I've a feeling from what I've read it should be fine?

Not a wine drinker, but that festival sounds good :)

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
Dave, You may be alone when you walk in but there is always someone who will engage in conversation.
your never alone long when in Arillas

You can book trips in the village, we often go into Corfu town for an afternoon/evening, we book with Arillas travel opposite the Coconut. plenty of time to have a look around and get a bite to eat.   

Offline hippopotandmouse

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
Hi Dave, never worry about walking into anywhere alone in Arillas, you will receive a genuinely warm welcome. And even if you are not a wine drinker, don't miss the wine festival. It's a great night out...lots of greek dancing, and great souvlaki on the grill!!

Offline Ron and Sue

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
You will find you are welcome everywhere in Arillas and it will not make any difference    that you are visiting solo.Wine drinker or not i am sure you will find the wine festival a perfect way of joining with locals and visitors alike and getting a perfect feel of the friendliness of the people and the village.Enjoy your first visit which I hope will be the first of many        Ron and Sue

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
Mention of the wine festival. Can anyone tell me when it is?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
Dave, I have a simple recipe. If you smile, the whole world will look after you in Arillas. Strangers, friends, acquaintances, just smile. So many friendships started for us like that.

Anna (studios) Krasakis and her family of men are a key part of Arillas. You have chosen well for a first visit. If you turn right as you walk out, you can head for San Stefanos opposite Kostas Supermarket. About half a mile to walk to the left turning. Or turn left and head into the delights of Arillas. Go in the Coconut Bar and mention Phil and Jen.

Solo in Arillas is catered for. Drop shy, smile and say hello to people. As my dear friend (found through Arillas and the forum) JohnTheRef said, you will never be alone in Arillas, unless you want to.

Phil

Booking.com