Author Topic: Access to North beach  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Sun seeker

Access to North beach
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
My wife and I have just enjoyed a fantastic two weeks in Arillas and have already booked for next year. However I have real concerns accessing the North beach via the coastal path. It is clearly very dangerous as there are obvious signs of erosion of the cliff. An accident is waiting to happen. In England the path would be closed. Why can't a new path be cut to avoid the dangerous areas? I know you can make the journey around the cliff in the sea but that too could be dangerous if you walk too close to the cliff. This was proved recently by the rockfall about three weeks ago. There is now a sign erected warning of falling rocks but why this should have taken over a week to erect after the event is difficult to understand.
       Arillas is an amazing resort and it would be a tragedy of pele lost their lives if no action was taken.

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
Re: Access to North beach
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Hello dear SunSeeker,

Thanks for your concerns,

We are all aware of these problems and we are working on solutions. It cannot be solved from one day to the other but during the coming Winter we have plans to do things together and in cooperation with the authorities.

Nature is not easy to harness. We have to compromise some times.

Never the less we, the people of Arillas have proved in the last 10 years that we are not trying to make the place bigger but nicer!!
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline spicy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
God forbid that it should end up like England where you need a risk assessment to go for a walk, please leave arillas a beautiful place to explore (using your own common sense) if it looks too dangerous go the other way round

Offline Palmrat

• Arillas regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »
Well said spicy, I think most of us have enough common sense not to walk where it is so obviously dangerous but I agree that warning signs are a must where the cliff is eroding so much.

Yiota warned me that there had been a land slide and to be careful if I was going up that end.
Janina

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
Our local hosts are well aware of the risks people take, and how to compromise between safety and daily life. Signage is all very well. but in how many, and what languages? Some might say close the North beach altogether, but then many would swim or boat there.

The potential for a serious accident cannot be eliminated, just reduced. The authorities and business owners are well aware of it, and I for one trust Dimitris to keep the decision makers thinking, and achieve the best possible result. But risks do not need forms to be filled in, they need the awareness and common sense that that previous posts refer to.

On a lighter note, some locals have worried about my risk of drowning. Drowning in the copious amounts of Mythos I consume while I am there. I have never done a risk assessment, but after eleven years and x,000 pints later, I am still here....

Phil

Offline intentioncraft

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • hooked on acropolis
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
Have returned today from Arrilas,holiday period 23rd-30th September,both the wife and I had a wonderful time, we made several visits to the north beach,which seemed quite busy with visitors.
  Upon leaving the beach a couple of days hence we witnessed a lady climbing on the low cliff edge in order to avoid the wash from the surf,in doing so she lost her footing causing her to fall impacting her knee on the edge and tumbling into the surf below,I have noted how greasy this access point has been and probably varies underfoot depending on pedestrian traffic,the German lady in question assured me that she was fine and consequently went on her way seemingly unscathed,given the choice we always wade through the surf to the wooden steps,just seems the obvious way considering the risk assessment,also the coastal path just above this point is at an imminent point of collapse,we tend not to admire the view at this point and move along swiftly.B

Booking.com