Author Topic: Toilet facilities  (Read 7975 times)

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Toilet facilities
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »
I usually write under the heading of ‘’Beach Clean-up’’ and have received many supportive responses which, I am pleased to say have resulted in positive changes.

This time I refer to the ‘’ Toilet Clean Up’’. Having listened to various people last year on the same subject, I know I am not alone with negative comments on this delicate subject.

I did e mail the Arillas Business Association in late 2013, as there was no Arrilas Survey for that year. I read, that at the end of the year they would contact me as to of their comments. To date I have received no response.

In the few years I have visited Arrilas I have been very impressed with the village and its people. I feel I have made many friends with the locals and holiday makers alike.
I have enjoyed fantastic hospitality in true Greek tradition.

I return to my concern, toilet facilities.

Whilst I understand that the sewerage system, along with many Greek islands, leaves a lot to be desired compared to the UK, it’s a quintessential part of the Greek experience.
So you can’t flush your toilet tissue. Ok, that’s accepted, but surely the bin can be emptied on a regular basis? An overflowing bin is not an attractive site.
I personally refer to tavernas/ restaurants, rather than apartments. I have only ever stopped at The Mathraki and I can say, no matter what time of the day or night the bar/taverna toilets are spotless, and without saying, the apartment facilities are maintained to a very high standard.

My other comments refer to lack of toilet tissue, no /ineffective locks on the doors, no toilet seat, (not a bother for the guys maybe, but I am sure the ladies would prefer the comfort of security, a seat and a dry floor at least). No hot water, no facilities to dry your hands (towels or hand dyers) and general lack of tidiness are also an issue.
We no longer patronise a popular fish taverna for this very reason. I know we are not alone.
What is concerning is that you see the staff using the same facilities as the customers .No a very inspiring confidence for the levels of hygiene.
I hasten to add not all the restaurants and taverna’s are the same. It is not the majority.
I know I am not the only one concerned about this issue. What is the general feeling? If you feel the same, contact the Arillas Business Association and make your feelings known.
Finally. Although the Wine Festival is a fantastic evening of Greek hospitality, entertainment, food and drink, can’t we have a least have separate facilities for ladies and gents considering the numbers of visitors? I did refer to this on the 2012 Arrilas Survey. I am sure the ladies would prefer it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
Re: Toilet facilities
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:01:36 AM »
Hello Dear Turkeyfoot!!

I’m very sorry that you have not been contacted yet by the Arillas Business .... It has had to be me responsible for that as well.. .

I must say that your complains have been said to some of our meetings.
The fact that in February there are going to be some seminars organized in Arillas by the Greek Tourist Organization is a good result. The Seminars are about health and safety and for general issues concerning  Restaurants and Accommodation owners for every business-owner and employee to attend,
We are going to try and inform everyone to attend this.   

However, the toilet issue is something that we do have to face in many cases in Greece.... In Arillas we have no real educated businessmen... we are all local families that were once visited by a large amount of nice visitors, where with our own inspiration and native instincts that we have inherited from our ancestors are giving what today on other countries  call  FILOXENIA (Hospitality). 

I hope the people of Arillas have the courage to learn from their mistakes and move forward to the demands of today’s Tourists without losing their authentic smile and happiness that you all know until today.

Have good year everyone !!

See you soon

PS: Such public comments are not promoting our Arillas... they do the opposite!
As I have said before : it is not nice to wash our dirty underwear in public.
Is it?
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline Steve & Carole

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »
I do not see turkeyfoots comments as complaints ,they are just positive suggestions and honest feedback. I totally agree that there are (in my opinion) just two tavernas that need to clean up their toilets. Dimitris, people who contribute to this forum do so because they (we) love Arillas and such feedback should be encouraged. Regards to you J & V.     Steve.

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
Thanks for replying Steve.
By saying complains I refer to the letter sent to the Arillas Association which was a great thing and more people should be encourage to do the same.

Please forgive my feelings , but sometimes I feel vulnerable as I know that the majority of the Arillas Businessmen are not reading our forum and some of them have no idea about the internet.
I'm scared  that I could be accused ( as it has happened in the past) for such things.

xxx

Dimitris

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »
Well, I try very hard not to get involved in posts on this Forum that are in any way controversial. Too often I have seen forum threads on this, and other forums and social media sites, turn into nothing short of a slanging match. And I certainly do not want to be responsible for causing one on this forum.
BUT, I feel I must offer some support to Dimitris here.
He is quite right, this Forum that he has the good grace to provide us all with, and in which he allows us to all have our say without censorship (it would be so easy for him to just remove this topic completely) is not the right place for complaints about the standards of toilet facilities at certain establishments in Arillas. In fact, it is not the right place to make complaints of any kind that are specific only to certain establishments.
If any of you have such a complaint then you should be taking it up directly with the owner of the offending establishment. After all, this is no different to being served a bad meal, if that happened you would complain to the taverna owner about it there and then, not take the matter up with the local business association.
It is unfair to put Dimitris in the middle of such a situation, it is not his fault that some business owners are not as "savvy" as he is. As he says, many business owners in Arillas are basically just local fishermen and farmers, totally uneducated in the ways of modern European business. And in any case, do we really want them to be this sophisticated? Isn't their simple friendliness and desire to be hospitable one of the reasons that we all stay in Arillas instead of some 5-Star Hotel in a major resort?
If these people REALLY ARE our friends (as many on here purport them to be) then it is WE who should be doing something about it, NOT Dimitris. WE should help our friends by trying to educate them as to the steps that they need to take to ensure that their business remains profitable, simply walking away saying nothing and never returning to frequent their business is not the act of a true friend.
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline dylan

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:49:29 PM »
Totally agree with Geoff! could not possibly put it any better! let the matter drop, and let individuals make individual decisions.

Dimitris, ITS NOT YOUR FAULT!

Offline sharonF

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:28:54 PM »
If these people REALLY ARE our friends (as many on here purport them to be) then it is WE who should be doing something about it, NOT Dimitris. WE should help our friends by trying to educate them as to the steps that they need to take to ensure that their business remains profitable, simply walking away saying nothing and never returning to frequent their business is not the act of a true friend.

Very well said Geoff, totally agree with everything you wrote, especially the above.

Sharon x

Offline Bella

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:27:21 AM »
Bravo Geoff!

Totally and absolutely agree this is not the place!

Furthermore - I have no doubt the issue would have been addressed and a reply supplied to the instigator all be it not by the end of 2013 but it's only the 15th of Jan ffs!

Manana comes to mind!

The 'Greek system' is not the same as ours - many Greeks are not on the internet are not computer savvy and they have more important things to do like trying to survive the winter tourist free! - they do not and cannot live on just our summer visits so work in other areas through the winter months to feed their families. Unlike us they do not have the luxury of computers or the time to sit and surf!

Dimitris runs this site for our benefit and as a hobby - he is not the Mayor of Arillas but does his best to address our issues - never forget the saying "Don't shoot the messenger"

Please do not berate Dimitris - he is an absolute diamond for giving us this site in order to talk among ourselves, gain an insight, share our photo's and stories and promote Arillas and does it freely in his own time - who else would or want to do this?

I once created and ran a website and forum for my sons basketball club - it took over my life from the day it went 'live' on the internet so know a bit of what goes on as an administrator - damn hard work!

Enough said - for now!

Bells xxx

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »
Wow!
Firstly there was no intent to upset anybody. I personally thought my comments were in order and constructive. I certainly do not wish to enter into a slanging match or be the cause for others to.
I believe that the Arrilas Business Association should be aware of such concerns. Which is why I contacted them initially via the 2012 survey and then direct in 2013.
Personally, I, find it difficult to pass negative comments directly to the owner of a taverna. Sometimes due to the language, things can often get misunderstood, as do seem comments on this forum in English.
It is also difficult to tell somebody you feel you have got to know over the years that the facilities, and or hygiene, is not 100%. Who likes upsetting friends?
If others have complained directly to the owners it seems to have made has made little difference.
How this has now been interpreted as berating Demitris, or even saying he is to blame is a bit of a puzzle. This was not the intention. When I see him later in the year to sample yet another excellent spit roast lamb I will tell him so.

I will stick to keeping the beach tidy. That at least seems to make people happy.
Geoff

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
You are absolutely right Geof,
Your comments are and have been very constructive over the past couple of years.
It is indeed exactly  what the Arillas Assossiation has been asking for....

If you were happy with your stay in Arillas, please tell your friends.
If you have had any problems during your stay please tell us.

You did not upset anyone.!
Nobody has seen me upset since the opening of this forum.
(Except the day with the man and the cats)

xxx

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
Thanks Dimitris.

That's 2 roast lamb, 1/2 carafe of red, Corfu Beer and a diet coke for Sept 6th at 19.30

Geoff

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
And hopefully thats the end of that ..........
ITS THE SUMMER SOON !!!!!   :-)
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
The Man and the Cats. What a night that was, he and his family really seemed to enjoy there meals, If I remember rightly the children even played with the kittens. Sorry to bring it ball back and hope it dos not still upset you., But it made me laugh this time of mention. Loads of love & Hugs Viv & Pete xxx

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
And what about that terrible man who shoots a water pistol at the cats in Brouklis ? :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
Stop "pussy-footing" around , Terry and tell us more.

(All this toilet talk has made me quite flushed!!)

Negg

Booking.com