Author Topic: Booking independently....  (Read 50727 times)

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
Booking independently....
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
I'm on booking.com at the moment looking at accommodation (obviously lol) - I am just wondering, should i continue with the booking on there or contact the apartments myself and make the booking direct with them?

I had this thought because the hotel i work at also uses booking.com and they charge 15% commission for every booking made for using their website. So i thought, would the apartments prefer me to contact them instead, that way they'd receive the full amount when i paid on arrival?! Or do they prefer Booking.com to deal with it for them? I have no idea!

This independent booking malarky scares me!! lol  There's so much to think about. I knew there was a reason why i always used travel agents!

Rachel x

Offline Bella

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Booking independently....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »
Hi Rachael,

In an ideal world it would always be better to give the money direct to the hosts but it all depends on the price you get offered. Last June I booked through Booking.com as it was cheaper than booking direct with the owner but then on my return visit in the October it was the complete opposite and was cheaper booking direct by a mile!

Don't worry about booking independently. It's a bit daunting the first time but after you've done it once you will never look back as overall it works out much cheaper and much more flexible on dates and flight times. I am pay 15 Euro's per night and with my flight out at £39 and return at £59 think it way cheaper than any package holiday I could get :>)

Bells xx

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
Thanks Bella.

I guess once i get the go ahead and have decided on the apts, i'll contact them and see if they are charging the same as booking.com.
I can't believe how cheap the flights are! The return ones aren't as good as your £59 one but as you said, it is definitely cheaper than a package deal!

Rachel x

Offline Sparky

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Hi Rachael,

Have been booking independent for getting on 20 years now in both Corfu and Turkey and only a few hiccups. The big advantage we have found is that you get the accommodation you want without the silly supplements added on by tour operators. We always have a list of things that have to be done and tick them off as done so we dont miss anything. Always book flight first, then accommodation (if you ask they can arrange the transfer though arillas is always expensive as has to be taxi cos no practical public transfer), then car hire, and finally the UK overnight stay.  Have found that once the owners get to know you, they always accept payment on arrival, but initially is usual to do a bank transfer and they will give you all the bank codes you need to get you bank to do it.  Be daring and give it a go and have the feeling that youve put one over on the tour operator.

Chris

Offline Bella

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »
Hi Rachael,

I booked the fights the day they were released - always very cheap but then they go up pretty quickly (due to the rush I think) but do start to drop again after the initial booking frenzy!

Why not set up a fare alert on one of the flight comparison sites like momondo.co.uk once you know what dates you can go and get emailed the cheapest as and when they change?

Bells xx

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
Agree with Bella , as a rule its cheaper to go through an agent than direct to the owners. In the ideal world we would all like to pay more and go direct to the owner but in the ideal world we would all be filthy rich ! lol
Saying that I was much better off going directly through Tria this year wheras last year the opposite was true.....
Don't be scared of it , its easy ....
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
As a family of 5 it has always been cheaper going independently than package, but more importantly it allows us to stay in our perfect spot! If there is just the two (or 1) of you I really dont think there is much in it

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 01:03:05 AM »
Hi Chris.

Yeah the supplements they add on are a pain in the bum! Through travelling alone the past few years, i have noticed the sneaky little under-occupancy fee they like to add on!

I'm okay with the taxi transfer as i did that last year, it is a little pricey but it's worth it. I'd much rather pay a little more and be there in 40 minutes rather than being on a coach for a couple of hours!

It's just the booking flights then having a panic over worrying if there'll be accommodation available for the chosen dates. I'm sure it will run smoothly (hopefully!) Just first time doubts i guess. Thanks for the advice

Rachel x

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 01:04:27 AM »
I'll have a look on that site Bella, Thanks.

I've only looked on easyjet, their prices have come down a fair bit since i last looked. We are restricted as to when we can go so i'm just hoping they aren't all snapped up within the next few days!

Rachel x

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
Thanks Truth,

I've looked at a few package deals and Tria has been the cheapest option. Not bad prices at all. If i wasn't being fussy, i'd have booked to stay there i think, but I want to be nearer to the sea/beach etc.
I was thinking of just booking the flights as soon as and then when i'm there in August, i could go to a few places and see about the availability & cost etc.
I imagine that if i showed them our flight details, that would be confirmation enough to pay them on arrival? as i'm not too sure about the bank transfer thing?!!

Rachel x

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 01:07:02 AM »
Hi Jo,

I've looked at a few different package deals and there isn't much difference between them really. Like you say with booking independently, you get to choose exactly where you stay. A few places that were on the top of my list are full for around the time i wanted :(
Ah well, hopefully this time next week, it'll all be sorted! :-) - If not, i'll sleep on the beach lol

Rachel x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »

Hi Rachel,
               have a look at Bardis Sun Hotel which is the hotel with the big pool at the bottom of the road from the Makris where you stayed last time. Doritas prices are very good and breakfast is included. There is a fridge and kettle in the rooms which is all you need if you usually eat out. Martin-W has the phone numbers I think.

Val x

The love affair continues.

Offline Bella

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 01:43:49 AM »
My number one place to stay! email Dorita here: info@bardis-hotel.com xx

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 01:55:09 AM »
Thanks Val

I liked the look of Bardis Sun Hotel when i was there last year. I'll get in touch with them and see! :-)

Thanks for the email address Bella :-)

Rachel

Offline emeralddragons

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 02:44:19 AM »
Agree with Bella , as a rule its cheaper to go through an agent than direct to the owners. In the ideal world we would all like to pay more and go direct to the owner but in the ideal world we would all be filthy rich ! lol

I certainly do not agree with Truth. Booking our own flights and then booking independently for accommodation in Arillas, directly from the owners, has definitely proved cheaper!
This also gives the satisfaction of knowing that one's euros stay in the village.
Emeralddragons

Booking.com