Author Topic: The Road to Paleo  (Read 9432 times)

Offline CJ

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
The Road to Paleo
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:46 PM »
Anyone know the best way of getting to Paleokastritsa from Arillas?  Thought we'd better do a little more than lying on our backsides in the sun this time around (June) so we thought we'd do a little exploring.  What are the roads like?  OK to use a quad to get there?  Any (ha ha) public transport?

Mind you, having asked the question, lying around on the beach still sounds like the best option.....

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
Re: The Road to Paleo
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
Paleo is about 20 mins drive roads not to bad follow signs to kekera as if you were going to the airport you'll come to a major tjunc turn right and your there well sign posted I've done it by car scooter and speed boat from the beach well worth a visit but get there early as it gets busy setting off about 10 am is a good time yiammas enjoy

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »
You could go via Agios Georgios, Pagi and Makrades or out to Agros and Arkadades, then to Doukades. They're both about 20km and take 30 to 40 minutes, if I remember rightly. 

I did the journey on a motorbike as a circular route and had the afternoon in Paleokastritsa. What a day that was, the scenery both ways is no less than stunning! ( I can recommend Aladinos restaurant in Paleo, furthest left on the main beach) The roads were pretty good in both directions, it's justbest to take it steady, especially going up or down in Agios Georgios.

As for a direct bus, there isn't one that I know of, so it would have to be a bus in to town and a bus out to Paleo.

Offline Paul & Denise

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »
If you want to lay back and take in the views, they do a trip from the village, very enjoyable and informative. If you intend doing the monastery make sure the ladies can cover up. Yammas

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
The Road to Paleo -- Sounds like a Bob Hope and Bing Crosby Film :-)
CeeJay, by far the best route to take is as Cypress says, via Aghios Georgios and Makrades, as that brings you out above Paleokastritsa with fantastic views over the whole bay.
But if you don't fancy doing the driving why not go on an organised trip? I know San Stefanos Travel do a great one that takes you that route and stops in the best place for photos, it also includes a visit to the Byzantine Monastery and you get plenty of time in Paleo as well, and I'm pretty sure that they pick up in Arillas so you don't have to go over to San Stef. Doesn't cost much, a couple of years back it was around €15 so I don't suppose it will have gone up much from that. I'm pretty sure that Olga will probably have a similar excursion as well.
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
Can someone expain to me the lure of Paelo?  We hired a boast this year and moored there but once on dry land we werent really sure about why it was so famous? Is it the Monastery?

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »

Jo, I don't think the lure of Paleo can be felt when you arrive by boat.
The view as you approach by road or the views from the Monastery
are really spectacular, with all the sandy coves and different shades of blue in the sea.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline hippopotandmouse

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
Drove this way today via Ag Georgios....the views are spectacular as you go up out of Ag G..takes my breath away every time. Road is a little windey, but just go steady, slowly, and enjoy.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
Sorry to go off topic but I read somewhere that someone was trying to contact Olga's Travel.

Olga is in Athens at the moment and not due back until the 21st February.

And.... Paleo via Makrades/Lakones is super way to go. Love the views and the places to stop.

Negg

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »
Done this trip several times on a scooter and it's well worth doing stopping off at the villages on the way for a snack or a drink (non alcohlic of course)
It makes for a fantastic day out, what ever you do take your camera and try get to Angelokastro some brilliant views from the top and visit Makrades a beautiful little village with plenty of shops to browse around.
I'm sure you will really enjoy it.

Tony

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
Jo it is a fabulous place especially when it is really quiet in the evening and you just sit there taking in the fabulous views. I don't think that maybe you get that in a day trip x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 01:55:03 AM »
Sounds like we should definitely give it another visit this year. A few years ago we went to Bella Vista which if I remember rightly looked down onto Paleo? That was amazing. Costas from the Coconut had told us we must go.

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 10:11:17 AM »
Jo if you do go try to visit the Acapulco Bar . It is high up overlooking the most beautiful bay and it has lots of swings and hammocks which I know you like :-)

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
I forgot to say on the previous post that this route is the long, easier route. The route through Pagi is much better.

Booking.com