Author Topic: Re: authentic restaurant  (Read 16069 times)

Offline Bella

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: authentic restaurant
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
Have to say, if you are walking that way go the whole hog and walk to Afionas for the most authentic Greek restaurant I know. The name of it has slipped my mind but it is the last restaurant on the left before the church going into the village. You get taken into the kitchen out the back and shown all the food and make your choice and it is all superb home made food.

Bells xx

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »
And then what you MUST do is go behind the church and shop and discover Dionysos. Spectacular views. And it really will take your breath away :)

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 11:37:50 AM »
What is the name of Spiros from The Rainbow's restaurant in Afionas ? We keep meaning to go there and never get round to it .

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
It is Anemos Afionas. Have heard really great reviews. But then it is Spiros....

Phil

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
Have to say, if you are walking that way go the whole hog and walk to Afionas for the most authentic Greek restaurant I know. The name of it has slipped my mind but it is the last restaurant on the left before the church going into the village. You get taken into the kitchen out the back and shown all the food and make your choice and it is all superb home made food.

Bells xx

Is that the Pergola or something similar? Sadly every time we've passed it's been closed, maybe it only opens in the evenings. Going in the kitchen to select what you want rather than having a menu is very traditional, only place I've done that recently is in some of the smaller Cycladic islands. In Afionas we always go to Porto Timoni, great views, great food and Kostas and his family are fantastic hosts.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »
They certainly are, we always go and have their special Greek salad. Then go down to Porto Timoni beach and the lovely chapel there. If you go on my Facebook page you will see all the view going down. Viv x

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Bella

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »
Dai

I meant to say that they look closed in the day but they are not - they are usually out the back cooking the dishes for the evening so just go in.

Offline Pete E

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Choosing from the kitchen was the norm in most Greek villages, I think joining the EU and having to give a nod to health & safety regulations brought an end to it in most places.  At the restaurant in question (I can't remember the name either but always have a few meals there as it is so good) they do a great job but it is not quite the same as it used to be as everything is in serving trays - you used to just walk around the oven lifting up lids and having a stir!

Offline indigo648

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
The best meal we have had in Greece was served in the frying pan it was cooked in. Jenny

Booking.com