Author Topic: Re: Arillas in August  (Read 7178 times)

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Arillas in August
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
Been reading really old posts (2007) Just getting a bit of history of Arillas. I was mentioned back then that it gets very very busy in August ....heaving was the word!
We've booked to go on 10th August 2015 for 2 weeks. On our previous holidays in Arillas we went during the 2nd and 3rd week of July which was lovely! Enough people to create a great atmosphere but definitely not ....heaving!
We also don't like anywhere too crowded especially on the beach.
Does anyone know if it's still heaving in August?

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »

August is when nearly all of the population of Italy drive their cars on to the ferry and take their holidays in Corfu....but don't worry they don't all come to Arillas....it just seems that way when you see all the nice cars parked along the beach road.

August is a busy month for all holiday destinations in Europe, we were in Arillas the last week in August last year, it was busier than when we visited earlier in May/June but not overcrowded.

This year we take our second holiday the first week in August so expect to find it a little busier.

We love early and late holidays in Arillas but the last couple of years have had to take the late one in August and loved it.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
Thanks Val

Had visions of Brighton Beach on a hot August bank holiday!

We're away with family  July so I've booked this as a surprise for my husband as it's his birthday on August 15th.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »

PERFECT :) :)

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline coys

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
You will find Arillas much busier in August usually from mid July to mid August with big groups of people, so you may have to book to eat in some restaurants.
Also could be crowded on the beach.
Barry.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »
We were in Arillas from the end of July to the beginning of August last year(just before the Italians arrived!) and we didn't have to book in any of the restaurants and the beach wasn't crowded either, despite the weather being scorching! So hopefully it will be like that again?

It doesn't matter too much....we will be in Paradise!

Suzy

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:07 PM »
What we have always found in August is that, although the main beach is a lot busier (North beach gorgeous and secluded until mid-day) all the restaurants are no busier than usual as the locals were saying to us that in an evening the vast majority of Italians tend to stay at their villas. To be honest the vast majority of people dining seem to be English.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »
The nearest we have ever got to the August rush was 4th. It was the one and only time we were turned away from Thalassa because they were full and we hadn't booked. Thomas (Vavilas) is now so popular (for good reason) that you must book at least a day ahead all through July and August. But with care you can do whatever you want by planning a bit ahead. (Anathema to me - I flow with the tide when I am in Arillas.)

The beach is NEVER like Brighton (voice of experience) on a bank holiday. We used to live an hour from Brighton and often spent time there. But as Barry says, us lot may find it crowded compared to our usual experiences. My favourite time is very end of October when I have the whole lot to myself, and the sea is like a warm bath.

But I digress. What a wonderful birthday present! 15th August will be very hot, but there will be plenty of space and opportunities for you both.

Phil

Offline coys

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 11:52:14 PM »
As you say Phil Arillas is so different early and late season when it is so quiet.

Barry.       

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »
The beach in Arillas to yourself Phil.....heaven!
 I'm sooo jealous! Although we did have a beach almost to ourselves on Good Friday on the North Norfolk coast, mind you it was 8 degrees and very windy!(beautiful blue sky though!) Not quite Arillas but it's our heaven in England!

Thanks everyone for the positive comments!

Suzy

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
I have been going for years to Arillas in last two weeks of August and never have I had to describe the place as heaving. More people and hotter than a hot place but still the paradise we all call home.

There is always room on the beach, on the bar and in the best (read most) restaurants which I will put to the annual test when Heidi and I meet there 15th August for a two weeks of good life :)
Life is good ;)

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »
Through the day it can be quite busy the 2nd 2 weeks in August  with cars parked up on the front but come evening they mostly disappear but after saying that the beach towards the North end between Kaloudis and the nudist beach at the far end  is relatively quiet.
I have only ever booked once at Brouklis and that was because there was 9 of us otherwise we have never had a problem eating anywhere, just strolled in order a cold Mythos with the menu and watch the world go by as we wait for our meal  .
Like Erja says i wouldn't call it heaving plenty of seats in both the Malibu and Nut and have never queued for a pint of Mythos yet:-)
All I can say is bring on August the 8th 2 weeks of pure bliss :-)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
We always book a table earlier in the day, mainly so we can enjoy the sunset and are not stuck in the back somewhere, but there again there are usually at least 5 of us.

Offline adairsl

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 10:40:09 PM »
The nearest we have ever got to the August rush was 4th. It was the one and only time we were turned away from Thalassa because they were full and we hadn't booked. Thomas (Vavilas) is now so popular (for good reason) that you must book at least a day ahead all through July and August. But with care you can do whatever you want by planning a bit ahead. (Anathema to me - I flow with the tide when I am in Arillas.)

The beach is NEVER like Brighton (voice of experience) on a bank holiday. We used to live an hour from Brighton and often spent time there. But as Barry says, us lot may find it crowded compared to our usual experiences. My favourite time is very end of October when I have the whole lot to myself, and the sea is like a warm bath.

But I digress. What a wonderful birthday present! 15th August will be very hot, but there will be plenty of space and opportunities for you both.

Phil

Offline adairsl

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
Sorry about last mistake!
I regret that things are a bit difficult.
You will know that I am a regular reader of the Forum but a less poster although have enjoyed my e mails with you all .
Unfortunately my cancer has returned and is terminal so I will not see Arillas personally again.
Please however keep me involved and I wil be with all Arillacs forever!
I apologise if I have interrupted an inappropriate e mail thread!
Oliver.

Booking.com