Author Topic: Weather in June  (Read 29396 times)

Offline Sinbad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Weather in June
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
I've been reading the posts about the weather in May and wondered what we can expect when we go June 6th - 20th this year.  Any advice?

I assume that the mozzies are around all year?

Offline coys

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Weather in June
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »
June should be very warm early on to very hot at the end of the month and not much chance of rain.
Will be mozzies but hopefully not to many.
Barry.

Offline Chris G

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
we have been to Arillas 3 times in June (soon to be 4 times) and never had a bad day although one day last year we awoke to a sea mist however this only lasted till 11.30ish and left a beautiful day behind it (never seen this before whilst abroad) A couple of years ago there was a thunderstorm in the hills behind Arillas but this never affect Arillas itself.
We have also been in September, again the weather could not be faulted.

The mossies can be a problem after dark but try Skin So Soft by Avon on any exposed skin, works for us (smells nice too) so my wife say's

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:32:08 PM »
Thanks both, sounds idyllic (as usual).  Will try the Skin so Soft.  I have heard of this before but not tried it.  It must smell better than my usual in Arillas - Jungle Formula!!!!  Counting the days ................ :D

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »
The only certain protection from mozzies is 50% DEET eg Boots Jungle Formula. Most of the bites are feet and ankles, so spray them thoroughly. They get you mostly when you are quietly eating in the evening, and they are also enjoying their meal - you. Jen used to be a martyr to them but now never gets bitten with her spray-up every evening. Me? They hate me. I have never been bitten in all the many months I have spent in Arillas.

Phil

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »
I'm afraid they get me EVERYWHERE Phil, if I miss a tiny patch with the Jungle Formula somewhere on my body they find it!!!!  I usually keep all doors and windows closed in the room and use mozzie deterent - but during the night one little blighter will sneak in to catch me unawares!!!!!  My husband could tell you hilarious stories of how I hunt them out if I hear one the room........(they are usually high up at ceiling level) but I have now perfected the art of killing them by throwing my holiday reading material at them.  No magazines for me....... But I'm not that obsessed that I allow my choice of reading material to be solely determined by the size and weight of the book !!!!!  haha!

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:57:50 AM »
Take anti-histamine tablets a month before you go and during your holiday...It works for me and I used to get really badly bitten years ago when we first started holidaying in the med especially Greece. A couple of times the bites became infected and I had to have antibiotics.

Since taking antihistamine and spraying 'Deet ' in the evenings I haven't had any problems for years.

Hopefully this will save you ruining your books!

Suzy

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice Suzy, I'll give it a go. 

You have just reminded me.....I haven't been to Arillas and to Greece for some time so I had forgotten that I used to take Vitamin B for a month before travelling and when I'm there.  That seemed to stop me being bitten too! 

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 01:18:01 AM »
Yep!....I take that too, all dosed up but mozzie bites are zero!

Suzy

Offline Chris G

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
have not tried the book thing yet but have perfected the art of towel snapping to swat the little blighters, drives my wife crazy though especially when I had a few and find standing still and focusing in on them a bit difficult.

Offline annec

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
    • Random Things Through my Letterbox
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
For the last couple of years we've bough the wristbands that are supposed to repel the mozzies.  They've worked really well so far.

A few years ago when we were staying at Kaloudis I got bitten on my ring finger in the middle of the night.  I woke up with a finger that had swelled to twice it's size and was gradually turning blue.   

Mad panic, I was convinced that my finger was going to fall off.  In the end, Martin managed to cut my wedding ring and engagement rings off with a pair of nail clippers, thank goodness they were soft gold.  I was screeching, I'm really not sure what the people in the next room thought was going on!

Offline june

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »
I love the weather in June we were there last year with the mist, never seen that before good to take pictures of something different. The only difference we normally see is us looking older.
We've always had lovely weather though one year the days were lovely but a very cold breeze blew up in the evening and Thalassa got out a patio heater for us. Once we sheltered in Ammos from the rain but what a spot to sit and watch rain.the last week it's getting too hot for me but husband loves it the hotter the better. Also the evenings stay light so long and the flowers are lovely. Roll on fouur weeks

Offline Paul & Denise

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 12:39:32 PM »
This will be our first June in Arillas (May and end Sept is usual for us). Thanks to everyone for there post on here. I hadn't thought about the long late evenings, think we will have to re-think our evening meal times as we usually watch the sunset before or whilst eating. So looking forward to meeting people who we don't usually see.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
The mozzies when we go in June are not as bad as August, but we aways spray the room with fly killer before we go out at night and again before we go to bed...and always spray under the bed, the little blighters love the dark corners ;)

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
The mozzies when we go in June are not as bad as August,
 Val x

That's because all those mozzies are so frustrated in June and July trying to find ways around those super duper repellents and the mozzie screens and the 8 pairs of socks that some wear, as extra protection, that in August, it's "Every Mozz for himself" and they will dive bomb anything that moves
Maybe this is why September is a good time to be here?
(By the end of August they are either dead or bloated)

Negg

Booking.com