Author Topic: New to forum can you help with accomodation  (Read 45920 times)

Offline biglil

New to forum can you help with accomodation
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:08:04 AM »
Hi everybody I have been reading all about Arillas and it seems  to tick all the boxes for us ( a couple in their 50's) we must have looked at all the accommodation in Arillas and we are spoilt for choice. We would love to stay at the Horizon but this is going to be very expensive as we would have to do it independently and we have to go in peak season as I work in a school but I don't have a teachers wage. My other option is the matharaki, staying in a studio ,and we have been quoted £1151 byThomson's for 2 weeks in August next year (2015) I know that the package holidays seem to sell out very quickly for Arillas. Should I go for this? Does this seem a fair price? Or should I wait a little longer to see if the price goes down or keep on saving and see if we can afford the horizon. The kaloudois seems nice but maybe a little too busy for our liking Your comments and experience would be much appreciated.Thankyou Biglil

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: New to forum can you help with accomodation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:46 AM »
Hi Lil and welcome to the forum! I would say that you would definitely get cheaper than the Mathraki price you have been quoted. I am restricted to school holidays also and by booking flights within minutes of them being released (Oct time) our 2 week holiday in July for FOUR people including accommodation will be around £1500 but that is beach-front accomodation. There are literally dozens of apts rooms dotted around the resort, some from as little as 25 euro per night (total!).  Most of the packages have private apts also.  You need to identify what you want ie pool or close to beach or in a quiet area and we will get on the case! You have made an excellent choice!

Offline biglil

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »
Thanks for the quick response. We would like something fairly central and nothing with hills. Ideally we would like a pool, a/c  and  near the beach.We would like it to be fairly quiet on a night (from 12 am ) no loud music etc . You seem to get a fantastic deal who do you fly with? I'm  a bit nervous of diy as I've never done it before but i'm willing to take a chance. Do you sign up with all the airlines so you know when the flights are released? My husband would really like to fly from LBA or Manchester and have day flights. Is that possible? Thanks for your help Lil

Offline kaz

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:42 PM »
Hi Lil

Welcome.... As Jo says, once you have done DIY once or twice it is not as daunting as you may think. It does help if you know the resort a little bit and know some of the accommodation providers. Travelling as a couple we generally find DIY cheaper but that is not always the case... some packages can be good deals, it just depends if you catch the bargains at the right time, and when you want to travel. Your problem is having to travel in August when the resort is busier and flights and accommodation that bit more expensive. We generally book our flights first and immediately after that, contact our chosen accommodation owner to confirm availability. Booking well in advance there isn't generally a problem but occasionally we book last minute flights and will have a couple of apartments/studios in mind in case our first choice is not available. In June (our preferred holiday time) a studio as you describe can be had from anything around 180Euro/week up to approx. 250 Euro. There are some a bit cheaper, some a bit more expensive and a few a lot more. EasyJet, Monarch, Ryanair and Jet2 all fly from the airports you mention but the trick is to be straight onto the booking system as soon as the flights are released. They all have slightly different release dates so you have to watch this forum and other flight forums to be aware when flights are being released and then act very quickly... we've had return flight, with luggage and seats from as little as £110 return each. I know Jo got some really good prices last year when we managed to find out the first day that the flights were on sale. Also, don't forget to factor in approx. £100 for return taxi transfers. Most of the apartments in Arillas  would meet your needs as you describe them.

Try looking on a few of the airline websites now to get a feel of how they work and what they look like to give you a bit of confidence and an idea of the pricing system. Then check out this web site (there is a list of apartments and studios which generally have a link to the owners own website) to look at the apartments on offer as well as trip advisor to give you an idea of where you might like to stay, then come back and ask a few questions....one thing for sure ...there will be plenty of people quick and willing to answer any of you questions and to offer advice. p.s. Kaloudis is as good as any of the others and nowhere is that 'lively'.

Offline diana

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:24:28 AM »
We are going this July 25th for 2 weeks and for 2 adults staying at the
Makathi, we paid £1,039 which I thought was very reasonable.
To be fair prices could increase next year so I think that was a reasonable quote.
We chose the Makathi for similar reasons to you.

Offline diana

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:52 AM »
Sorry, Mathraki.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 01:13:49 AM »
Some really good advice here. We always go independent. In the end you need a flight, a transfer and accommodation. These days that's all you get from the Tour Operator anyway. The Rep is now history.

Returners have more knowledge of where to be, but forums like this can help first timers get it right. Unless of course they don't like Arillas when they get there.... Not many of those in my experience!

As for prices, the only way Jen and I manage two visits a year is to take a gamble by booking and paying for the flights from Bristol the MOMENT they are released by EasyJet. We get the heads up on when that happens from other members of arillas.com (mainly Thorpe - to whom we owe a great deal.) We now always stay at Bardis Sun Studios in July and Marvel in April or October, because Jen's mobility is best served, so she gets a holiday as well. We are staying from 7 to 28 July and will have paid about £850 for 3 weeks.

Phil

PS in peak season we book Bardis a year ahead, before we leave.

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:31:44 AM »
Good advise we always book our accommodation before we leave otherwise it sells out really quick in August. Last year when we booked Kaloudis with Roula she only had one apartment left and that was starting on a Tuesday so we booked flights accordingly when they came out.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:43 AM »
Yes, we also book our following year's apt before leaving but always point out there may be a couple of days fluctuation depending on flights. There will always be flights, albeit maybe a bit more than you wanted to pay but for us, our accomodation is more important so that is our priority. X

Offline Chris G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 02:09:05 AM »
Hi
We also stay at the Bardis Sun Studios usually in June we also book up for the following year on the day we leave and then look for flights when they have been released that way we are sure that we have accommodation for our holiday,

We have over the past few years always traveled independent, it works for us however many of our friends like the security that package holiday gives, when you do it yourself it works out cheaper and gives you more independence with regard to where you want to stay and traveling to and from the airport, although some tour companies do offer the option of traveling by taxi, at an extra cost of course.

We are fairly flexible with regards to where we fly from, we normally fly from Newcastle but this year we found the cheapest option was to fly from Edinburgh, this entails a journey of about 1 hr 45 mins but with no family traveling with us this is not a problem.

After you have tried the do it your self option you may well continue to do so, the Arillas web site is great for finding accommodation there is something for all tastes,

There are several travel options for transferring to and from the airport, taxi, mini bus, resort shuttle or you could (as we have done in the past) hire a car. When you decide where you would like to stay ask the proprietors of the accommodation if they can arrange a taxi for you or give advice on the best means of transfer you will find that they are always eager to help, another option is to post your flight times on this forum and ask if anyone would like to taxi share.

What ever you decide you have chosen a fantastic place to stay, Arillas will surely win your hearts over and have you coming back again.    

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 02:33:24 AM »
Lil, keep posting. Whatever knowledge we have we share. (Sounds like marriage vows, but it is true.) If you look back on the older posts you will see how the forum has developed. And all written by folk like me and Jen who have had their lives changed for the better by finding Arillas, then realising that the obsession is shared by so many others.

Enjoy Arillas for what it is. Simples............

Phil

Offline biglil

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
Thank you for all your advice, what a friendly and helpful forum.I have been doing a dummy run this year and flights are working out between £600 to £700 plus transfers and accommodation I think the matharaki is beginning to look like a close contender. Going back to what Phil said about April, what is it like then? is it mainly closed and cold or do you think its worth taking a chance? we would be tied  to going around the 5th-8th april for a week. Thanks again Lil

Offline diana

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Also it may be a little extra doing a package holiday, but at least if there are any problems with air lines going bust etc, easier to get refund and sort out.

Offline diana

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »
April is not going to be guaranteed sun like July/August and would imagine limited taverna's open.
Remember if you book independently you will add on about £100 for return taxi also.

Offline diana

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »
At the end of the day, if you want or have to holiday peek season it obviously will be more money. School holidays flight prices go up unfortunately.

Booking.com