Author Topic: Afionas  (Read 52432 times)

Offline Claire

Afionas
« on: June 01, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
I'll be staying in Arillas for the first time at the end of August. Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes to walk from Arillas to the village of Afionas. Thank you.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Afionas
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
I would stick my neck out and say around 90 minutes but I have never walked it and am using the "watering hole stop over" , Night Owl, as a guide.

There will be many who regular walkers, not hobblers, who will know better.

Cheers
Negg

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
Hi Claire

I'm not sure how long it takes, I never got there!

We set off walking one July morning and had to turn back halfway up the hill - it was far too hot to carry on. So, when you do it in August please be careful. We had lots of water, the right type of shoes, a hat and everything, and still had to turn back. We are both regular walkers (today we're doing a 7 or 8 mile walk around the hills of Holmfirth) and decently fit but it's not 30* in Huddersfield today :-)

The village itself is well worth the trip - we went up in a car, had lunch at a restaurant, a few beers, and the view towards Agios Georgios is a real jaw dropper. And jumped in the pool 10 minutes after leaving Afionas.

If you do the walk it might be better first thing or later in the day. 

Offline Claire

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »
Thank you. I was thinking of walking up there early and having breakfast up there to revcover! Sounds like early is best!

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
We did the walk in May, we have also done it in September and during the heat of July. Neill's estimate of around 90 minutes is about right.  Usually set off after breakfast before the heat starts to bite.
The Hill is steep but we take it easy and rest at intervals on the way up. The views are fabulous (take the camera).
Wear sensible shoes take water and keep to the shade where possible.
Stop off at Night Owl for refreshments when you get to the top of the hill, before you continue up through the village (the walk from Night Owl is much easier).
There are a number of places where you can call into for lunch or more refreshments. Just make it an adventure take your time and keep hydrated (warm water is better than no water at all),
Have fun take your time and enjoy it's well worth the effort.

Offline Claire

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
Thank you. Can't wait to get there!

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
By the way......forgot to say
WELCOME TO THE FORUM CLAIRE
Arillas is a fabulous place, you will be well looked after by the locals,
the forum is a good place to ask for information. We are a motley crew but we all have a love for Arillas and the people who make our stay there so welcoming. 
Have a fantastic time but be warned.
Arillas is like a Magnet it draws you back time after time.

Offline Sinbad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
Hi Claire

I would say that the walk to Afionas is a real must - it will make your holiday.  It does take about 90 minutes, as everyone says (though it is quicker on the way down!!!!!). Take your time and take plenty of water with you.  When you arrive at Afionas make sure you go through the little winding streets and find your way to the cliff top (with a spectacular view back over Arillas) and then have some refreshments in Dionyssis (with spectacular views over Agios Georgios).

I made a day of it once, setting off early morning and after visiting Afionas I walked down the road into Agios Georgios.  I had lunch and a swim on the beach there and then walked back to Arillas late afternoon when it was cooler again.

I absolutely love the time I spend in Arillas, but the walks to Afionas, Agios Georgios and also over to San Stefanos are what make it particularly special.  Can't wait to walk to San Stefanos this year, as since I was last there the Akrotiri has been built!!!!!

I know you will enjoy !

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
I did it in quite cool weather in about 45 mins last week
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Chris G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »
Hi

If you get the opportunity to get to Afionas in the evening try the Three Brothers or Panorama restaurants for an evening meal over looking the bay as the sun sets, its absolutely breathtaking, the local home cooked food and the wine is gorgeous, ask for a table near the windows (usually open when its a warm night) you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy your hols we are back there June the 10th.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »
I did it in quite cool weather in about 45 mins last week

Truth

Only because you were chased by three rabid dogs and an old Greek lady trying to sell you wine!!!

Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 06:26:32 PM »
Laughing Out Loud (sorry I'm told it's lol) I know all of those dogs and she sold me some wine..... But that was back in 2002. Afionas is probably the prettiest place on earth, but the hill nearly defeated us in 2002, and is impossible for Jen on foot these days. It's not as if we don't have enough in Arillas - we do, but "don't miss it" is my advice to anyone who hasn't been there.

Phil

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »
I know I have said it zillions of times but please people, if you get the chance go to Dionysos.  Thats where we had our renewal of vows reception a few years back and once you visit you will totally understand why we chose that restaurant. Breathtaking does not do that view justice!

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:44 PM »
Apparently the rabid dogs have anti Truth tablets so as not to catch anything off me when they bite ! Lol ( thats laughing out loud so I am told , he he )
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 01:16:49 AM »
Agree with Jo, Dionysos is a special place, we always go for lunch after our 60-90 minute ramble to Afionas, which depends on heat and picture stops along the way. Cant wait to make the treck in August when its nice and cool ;-)

Booking.com