Author Topic: Afionas  (Read 52419 times)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: Afionas
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
Often walked to Afionas but never timed it, I bet its been different every time. I've been walking round Holmfirth today but by myself as Arillas was spayed on Monday but up hill and down dale most days. Several good watering holes around here if you fancy it some other time, and its hot hot hot now.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
When in Arillas I usually visit Afionas once a week. Timing varies depending on temp and of course where you start from. If you are used to walking I would say you can do it comfortably in an hour, plus time for stopping and taking photos. The Panorama isa great place to stop for a drink - sit outside overlooking Arillas. In the village we always eat at Porto Timoni taverna. Great food, great views and a wonderful welcome from Kostas and family.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
Hi Dai, Two of our stops apart from photo shots.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Afionas- Birthday meal for my husband
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »
It will be my husband's birthday during our stay in Arillas this year. We have yet to do the walk to Afionas. I'm not sure whether to do the walk early morning and have a birthday lunch or return again in the evening for dinner. Any suggestions? If the latter would we be able to order a taxi to take us and pick us up?

Suzy X

Online Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
Linda and Nickos , Night Owl, have been known to drop customers back into Arillas, but only during quiet periods. So that cannot be guaranteed You might, of course, find a local there who would take you back for a few free beers.

However, if you wish to leave nothing to chance then you can pre-book a taxi there and back to, maybe, ensure peace of mind.

Negg

Offline Steve & Carole

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 05:08:46 PM »
It takes us  a 35 minute leisurely stroll to the Night Owl where we stop for a drink, then it's around 25 minutes further to the old village. Worth every step!

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 11:17:30 PM »
Suzy, if you go in the evening it might be a good idea to go to Anemos, the restaurant faces west and the sunset is stunning up there. The food is very good and the owner (I've forgotten his name, but he's another restaurant owner who determines to deliver the best food and service) I'm sure, would make the evening special for your husband's birthday.

If I was going up for lunch I'd go to the other side of the village to the Dionysos which has the most fantastic view out over St Georges bay, there's hardly a better view on the whole island to be had than up at Afionas. And any of the restaurants there a special treat.

Offline SteveL

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »
I would also recommend Anemos. Good food and views to die for. It is owned by Spiros Anthis, who is the brother of Jimmy from The Rainbow.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 03:57:11 PM »
I did post a reply on here a couple of days ago but it seems to have disappeared! Anyway, I said that we once went to Afionas for breakfast. The Panorama restaurant. Had bacon, eggs, tomatoes and olives ( a bit strange combination). It was really nice and there was also lots of homemade bread and local honey.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »
Only just found this topic again...it's just me?
Anyway, i wanted to say thanks everyone for the replies regarding visiting Afionas for my husband's birthday and once again I'm spoilt for choice. Arillas and the surrounding area, including Afionas, just get better and better!

Suzy X

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 10:05:47 PM »
Suzy, Afionas is a very beautiful village, and for able bodied only walking distance from Arillas. It offers spectacular views over the Diapontian Islands and some of the prettiest houses and gardens you will ever see. There is much history, and many choices of eating and watering places, and of course Porto Timoni.

Many of the accommodation owners in Arillas live in Afionas. Jimmy at Rainbow once said to me "nobody lives in Arillas. We all live in Afionas." We were discussing our hopes to spend most or all of our future years in Arillas. He was both right and wrong at the same time. Brouklis, Armourada and others live in Arillas permanently. One day soon, Jen and I hope to as well. But many others do exactly what he said. They are all the luckiest folk on earth, Arillas or Afionas, they are lessed.

Take your opportunities to explore as much as you can. You will be rewarded every day.
Phil

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »
missing "b" Of course I meant "blessed"

Phil

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 10:33:04 PM »
Phil, I now want to go more than ever!I knew that you meant blessed and I couldn't agree more. Hopefully you and Jen will be be blessed one day when you go to live there. At present, I just feel truly blessed that I am fortunate to visit once or maybe twice a year with my wonderful husband and very soon our children and their children.
Thanks for that.

Suzy X

Online Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
For me , who has luck legs, lucky they don't snap, Afionas is a trek indeed. ( I have been known to get tired just driving there)

But it must be seen to be appreciated. Photos do not do it justice.
The best way to see it, is of course, by foot. It is worth the effort. Lovely place with lovely people.
Hell-uvva hill though but if it was easy everyone would be there.

But...... if you stop into Night Owl, on the way, beware 'cause you may never get away!!

Negg

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »
Can't wait to get up there again,
Arillas without a visit to Afionas  is like having a King without his Crown.
There is a peace to Afionas that is there no matter what time of day you arrive.
The views are spectacular, every time we walk the hill and glance back is like turning a page in a photo album .
A stop off at Night Owl to refresh before carrying on up to the village.
The quirky things you come across like the post boxes on the left as you walk up.
Flowers around every corner, tight little alleyways to explore in the old part of the village and then the bench.
Ahhh the bench where you can rest for a while and just drift across the sea to the Islands in the distance....
Afionas comes to me often in my dreams, but soon I will be returning to Afionas

Booking.com