Author Topic: Agio Georgios walk  (Read 5170 times)

Offline dylan

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Agio Georgios walk
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
Having walked to San Stef and Afionas in other years was wondering how long the walk to Agio Georgios takes and how difficult it is, for me and my "dodgy" new knee, which wont be replaced till after we come again in Sept

Offline kaz

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Re: Agio Georgios walk
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:04 PM »
Hi Dylan

We have regularly walked up to Afionas, had a coffee and sit down in one of the tavernas and then walked down to Ag Georgios for a drink/sit down/relaxed lunch before heading back.

We set off from Bardis Studios so we are already at that end of the village and by setting off early, keeping to the shade and stopping off on the way it's not too bad. It would be a long trek to do it in one. The good thing is that the road down into Ag Georgios (well signed) is before the last leg into Afionas itself, so by stopping at Night Owl for a drink and then straight down to Ag Georgios, cutting out Afionas,  it would be a bit shorter.... problem is...with a dodgy knee.... the road down to Ag G is very steep in places, especially coming back up!!! It is do-able, the views are fantastic but it is a trek and a half.

Once you get down into Ag G be aware that the walk along the front/beach from one end to the other is quite a distance as well... it's very easy to meander along and stop off as you go but it makes it that much longer coming back.... having said that, we do it each year, making a full day of it and thoroughly enjoy it and we have a few creaking bone between us!

Offline emeralddragons

• Arillas regular visitor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »
Thanks everybody for the info re Afionas. One question remains: which of the roads to Afionas/Agios Georgios is shorter and/or easier to walk?
Emeralddragons

Online Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
I would say the second turning on the left as you walk down to the beach (Just past Vavillas/Thomas's) is the quicker but probably steeper too
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline kaz

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
As you come from the beach and walk past Bardis Hotel  there is a small road on your right sign posted for Afionas. This is the same one Truth describes (obviously coming from the other direction!!). A couple of hundred yards further on there is another slightly better road on your right, also signed for Afionas. I would say the first one after Bardis is, like Truth says, slightly shorter but a bit steeper and not recommended if you are driving. I think it has slightly more shade and much better views, particularly on the way back down. The other benefit is that you come out on the top ridge road quite a bit closer into Afionas and only a short walk to the turning down into Ag G. The second turning (furthest from beach) is not as steep, a better made road but , in my opinion, not as scenic. Also, once you reach the top ridge road, it is still quite a trek into the centre of Afionas. We prefer the turning closest to the beach but in any event I recommend stopping off on route for a rest and refreshments..... it's a long long trek to go all the way to the far end of Ag G in one go. As for timings... all depends on your pace and stops but I would guess that from the start of the first turning all the way up to Afionas is probably  one and a half times the trip down into Ag G....but don't forget to add on a good 20 mins walk to get along the beach front in Ag G....... or to make it easier as we do sometimes...hire a Quad bike, make a day of it and carry on through Ag G to Pagi, Krini, Angelokastro, Makrades then down through Lakones to Paleokastritsa and back.... some of the most fantastic scenery to had anywhere... loads of stop offs and generally done in about 5 or 6 hours.... a fantastic day out.

Offline daisyday

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
When we stayed at Bardis Studios last Sept George gave us a "top tip" and advised us to take the second turning right from there as it was less steep.  We did this and then after having lunch in Afionas and a good walk around we walked back down what was the "first" turning - boy, was it steep.  We saw a quad bike trying to get up it unsuccessfully and in the end stood up and leaned forward.  We don't know how he got on but we were certainly glad we hadn't tried walking up that one!

Was a lovely walk though....

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
We did go up the first turning and really wished we hadnt. Got to the point where we carried on as had got so far. Would never do it again.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »
I am in the same position as you i need my knee replaced.We stayed in Agios Georgios this may.The roads between Arillas and St george are very steep.Go to Olga's travel and get a Taxi it costs about 10 Euros each way.That is unless you really want to do the walk.I can walk from Arillas into Afionis and back,but did decide St george was bit to far and a bit to steep.Hope this helps
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline emeralddragons

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:54:32 AM »
Thank you, all, for your replies!
Emeralddragons

Offline dylan

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »
thanks Harold, that make sense! cheap day trip anyway! Determined to try one year, if they ever manage to get both knees sorted, new one no better than my own, at the moment!

Booking.com