Author Topic: FIRST VISIT TO ARILLAS  (Read 20780 times)

Offline Laura

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
FIRST VISIT TO ARILLAS
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
Hi all!!

I just wanted to post a general comment.  We have just returned from Arillas last Friday - it was our first visit and will definately not be our last!!
I used this forum before we travelled and it gave me alot of advice and recommendations.  I have just registered on the site so hopefully it can help some more for our next visit and hopefully I can help others with queries.
We have got the Arillas bug for sure....my husband and I are in our 30s and chose Arillas as it didnt seem touristy and we were attracted by its authenticity and how the village has remained traditional.  Well, we never return to the same place but now we will have to break that rule as I can see us travelling here for many years to come!
Everyone was so friendly...it was a pleasure to speak with the local taverna owners and sample their fantastic food.  The locals do a great job, I never been somewhere so clean and tidy.  Arillas is a gem of a place or as per my husband put it....'a cracking wee spot' :)  I always imagined 'the ideal holiday' and now we have found it!  Thank you to everyone for their advice and inspiration! Oh and to Dimitris for the forum!!

Offline Laura

Re: FIRST VISIT TO ARILLAS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
Sorry...I have posted in the wrong place....???

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »
Excellent guys and another Gold Star for all the proud locals who give 110% to ensure all enjoy.

Now you are posting you may just be "pestered" by those "Arilliacs" who would love to know how you spent you time. - We are a nosey lot - DONCHYERKNOW!?

No worries about posting in the wrong place. A posting in the wrong place is better than no posting at all!

Dimitris will sort it.

Negg

Offline Laura

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »
I'll put it down to beginner's (un)luck!!
I might do a little summary of our time - I noticed there are a few holiday reports!  It will depress me even more going over what a fabulous time we had - cant wait to return!!! :)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »
Try Flora, please! There's loads of us who eagerly await holiday reports like yours - it'll be especially interesting from a first timers point of view, pretty please :-)

I'm so glad that you've found this little piece of heaven on earth. I did the same, I went back after never really going to the same place twice before and don't want to anywhere else now. At least it saves poring over brochure's/tripadvisor for hours on end for my next location, when I go on holiday now I go to Arillas...simples.

Offline Cheryl2307

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »
Hi Flora,

Thank you for posting such lovely comments, am so glad you both enjoyed your first visit.  A lot of people feel the same way as you and I can't see me ever going elsewhere now, it's just perfect!

My son and his girlfriend are planning their first holiday abroad together for next Summer and she has been to the travel agents to get loads of brochures.  I asked him where they were thinking of going and he said I know exactly where we are going - Arillas - just letting her have some fun looking through the brochures!  He's nearly 23 and he loves it.

Look forward to reading about your antics soon and beware of very hard withdrawal symptoms!
Cheryl O

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Well i guess that is another satisfied customer :-)

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:05:47 PM »
Hi Flora

So pleased you enjoyed your holiday in Arillas. We went for the first time 2 years ago and returned again last year as we also loved it so much (also a first for us to visit the same place 2 years in a row...the Arillas bug!) We were going to visit again this year but didn't want to be labelled as being 'sad!' for going back to the same place every year as we've never understood why people do this when there is a big wide world out there. Therefore we booked to go to Alikes in Zante instead which looks beautiful...in fact very similar to Arillas. However, we still wish we going back to Arillas.
 I am also fairly new to the forum and I felt so much better when I read that people had been returning to Arillas for many years so we've now joined them and have  booked to return to the lovely Arillas in 2014!

Who care if people think we're sad (my words too) They've obviously never been to Arillas!

It's our little paradise! We just simply love it!

I hope you also have many happy holidays there too.

Suzy x

Offline PMC

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »
Lovely report Flora. 
I returned last year with my husband and 10 year old daughter. We had first been in 1996 as a young couple (we are in our early forties now).
 We had a great, proper family holiday. It was everything  we needed. The sunsets took my breath away and the accommodation was fab. Right on the beach and at a great price. Amazing that a beachfront  stunning location is so affordable.  We are going back on 18 August for 2 weeks staying at the Mirage again (great for children. Christine loved spiros and Billy). I cannot wait.....

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
So glad you enjoyed Flora. Like others have said, many friends and family think us said to keep returning but my reply is, try it for yourself and then say that! Yes there is a big world out there but for us personally, we have found our ideal perfect destination. Visit number 15 this year and still as excited as ever! Roll on July 21st x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
Just to endorse what you say Jo, will see you there on our umpteenth visit. Think it's 18 but lost count. We now usually go twice a year. But Flora, we wish we had found it in our thirties. You can double that for us now.... I was 50 on my first time. Thank you for bothering to share it with forum. Most of us are report-junkies, because Arillas touches us in some way every day of our lives and we love hearing about similar experiences.

There is nothing wrong with spending your limited holiday money on being guaranteed to find what you want.

Phil

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 12:15:51 AM »
Very well said Phil, couldn't agree more. I too was 50 when I first discovered Arillas and  also wished my husband and I had discovered it earlier as we could have taken our boys to one of the most family friendly and safest places to holiday if you have young children.
The good news though, we will be able to have that experience with our two beautiful grand children as our son and daughter want to experience our lovely Arillas too.

Suzy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 12:44:41 AM »
It this were Facebook Suzy, I would have hit "Like."

one of the most family friendly and safest places to holiday if you have young children.

And in Kavaddades, the most family friendly taverna called Mon Amour ("my love" in French) where the Kokkinos family will ferry you there and take you back from/to Arillas. Only been once yet, but the food was wonderful and atmosphere even better.

Not that families aren't welcome everywhere. There are also places for those who want "sophistication" and "cool." (I had trouble spelling those words....) I have tried most of them, and failed. But "I will survive..." You can even do that in Malibu if you like Karaoke.

I'd better shut up now, or I'll write a book.
Phil

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »
You're so right Phil. Arillas has it all...cool and sophisticated bars and tavernas,family friendly tavernas and as you said Phil, if cool and sophisticstion doesn't suit, then..."I will survive" in the Malibu or the coconut!...Lol!
So very well put Phil...as always. You really should be earning a living as a writer and become rich and retire in your beloved Arillas.

Suzy x

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 01:42:23 AM »
Mon Amour...sounds like my kind of place to spend with my hubby and our lovely adult children and grand children. Can't wait!

Suzy x

Booking.com