Author Topic: Where to go  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Yvonne K

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Where to go
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Hi again

Just 60 more sleeps to my first visit to Corfu/Arillas.  The hire car is sorted for a week - come on people suggestions please - where should we go around the island for a bit of sightseeing.

Thanks
Yvonne

Offline darren-jane

Re: Where to go
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
Hi again

Just 60 more sleeps to my first visit to Corfu/Arillas.  The hire car is sorted for a week - come on people suggestions please - where should we go around the island for a bit of sightseeing.

Thanks
Yvonne

Sunset beach bar in Peroulades to watch the sunset with a nice glass of wine or a cocktail.

Drive over to Paleokastritsa going through Afionas down into Agios Georgios
up through Pagi stop at the top of the hill after the double s bend for one of the best views in Corfu. Drive into Krini and turn right towards the castle of angelokastro. A nice walk up to the top for some more stunning views.
leave Krini and keep on the road to Paleo. next stop the golden fox in lakones over looking Paleo. Then drive into Paleo.
Make a day of it and stop and eat and drink where ever you want. You can even have a dip in the pool at the golden fox with a glass in hand while you enjoy the views.
http://www.corfugoldenfox.com/video.html

if you want a real drive get a map and drive to the top of Mount Pantokrator stunning views of Corfu and Albania from the highest point on Corfu and a church and bar at the top to either pray before the drive down or a bit of Dutch courage.

Could think of loads more (evening in Corfu town) but get your can and just drive.
we just get on our scooter and drive with no plans have gone to some wonderful villages and ate at some lovely tavernas but finding them again is not always so easy.
You can never get lost on Corfu.
Enjoy.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
What a wonderful, passionate post Darren. Your love of all Corfiot things shines like a star. So many of us share it with you.

Yvonne, you might have guessed, there is so much for you to explore on your first time. Just do what you find, and come back over and over again to find the rest. The Achilleon Palace is a perfect tourist destination, but delve deeper and find such a lot more.

Jen and I are older now, and never leave Arillas because we have made many genuine Greek friends there, and spend our time with them.

It will be your own fault if you don't discover the joy that so many of us have carried through our years on Corfu.

Phil

Offline darren-jane

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »
Jane has just reminded me that Oreo bakery opposite the BP garage just as you go into Dafni is a must.
We went there several times early in the morning for coffee and cake to watch the north west of Corfu come to life and birds of prey soaring above the valley below.

I can see this being a daily trip when we live in Corfu later in the year as only a short scoot in the morning from or land in Velonades.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
Point the car and just drive, stop where and when you want.
Pantorkrator then down to Kassiopi.
Mouse Island, walk down onto the causeway and sit watching the planes fly in.
Achilion Palace. (you can be James Bond).
Drive down to Pelekas village, try the biscuit's from the bakery on the bend just as you approach the village.
Paleokastritsa with its beautiful bays then up to Bela Vista and Krini.

An afternoon or evening in Corfu town with the Old fort and New Fort
Sit on the Liston and people watch, walk the old town.
but make sure you are back for the fabulous Arillas sunsets.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »
Go to Sidari , in the evening,

It will be a good reminder why you are staying in Arillas.

(Or listen to good advice from John) - Kassiopi is a must!!

Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
OMG we shared some of it with dearests John and Dot.. Corfu, our Kerkyra. He drove me past the airport, down south and all over. We stopped at many beautiful places. Including Palaiokastritsa. But the end result was as expected. Confirmation that Jen and me belong in, around  and to Arillas. We will be there tomorrow, Tuesday for any but the Bardis family.  Just lift me up where I belong..............

Phil

Offline Yvonne K

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:26:03 AM »
Thanks for all of that, don't think we will be going to Sidari.  Our previous Greek holidays normally are the get in the car and see what happens sort, just thought I would pick your brains for some favourites.  We like harbour side tavernas, mountain villages, lovely views and prefer to keep away from the crowded over touristy bits wherever possible.

Thank you so much for the ideas.  I cant wait.  Seems very odd not to be going back to our usual Greek haunt but cant wait to try somewhere different, right off to bed to make it 59 sleeps! 
Night night everyone.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
Where ever you go .youll me met with a warm corfiot welcome, stick to the small cafés in the villages you visit and enjoy, mind the potholes and the tight corners through some of the villages you don't have To go far from Arillas to have a good time but paleo is a must as is afionas at sunset yiammas

Offline mikej

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
Yvonne..

Don't avoid Sidari you just need to visit at the right time of day when all the night life are still in bed.

It has an unbelievable beach all sand and very flat.

Then there's the Canal Demore ,it's also great for shopping some of the cheapest prices on the island.

This year will be our 8th visit to Arillas but we never go without a visit to Kassioppi but as others have said Palio and Mount Pantokrator are a must some of the best views any where in the world.

Either way i know you'll have a great time even if you never leave Arilllas.

Enjoy the driving by the way!

Mike.☺

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
Sunset Beach in Peroulades just outside Sidari is a fab place to go early evening. There is a Taverna/Bar high up on the cliff where they play really cool music and there are swings overlooking the beach to watch the sunset. It is stunning. Another lovely little place is the little taverna at Koloura on the East coast by Kalami. All the other suggestions are great too, I love Paleokastritsa and as said before the views from the Golden Fox at Lakones are amazing. Nearer to Arillas take a drive to the Night Owl it is a little Taverna just outside Afionas on the way to Agios Georgious North.

Booking.com