Author Topic: eating out  (Read 7594 times)

Offline mac1

eating out
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »
Hi
We have 1 week to go until our first visit to Arillas!
Just wondered if anyone can give us an idea of prices for eating out? also any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, we are a family of 5 adults and 3 kids so need an idea of what we need to budget for.
Many Thanks

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: eating out
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:55:18 AM »
mac1, I am here in Arillas.

I adore family life but for many reasons have no grandchildren. Your question could result in a hundred different replies. Just about everywhere in Arillas is family friendly and will bend over backwards to make eating out a pleasure. Where are you staying? How far do you want to walk of an evening to eat? What food do you like? What do you want to pay? Arillas can provide everything, but you have to find it.

Arillas is small, and can be daunting for newcomers. But most of the people you meet here have been coming here for 100 years or more, give or take a few. The secret is say hello to everybody. It costs nothing, and if they walk away, you have lost nothing. The local knowledge is also available on this forum.

Just one example - the best fish in Arillas is cheap (and the chips are even cheaper) at Vavilas. Thomas is on the map, and a firm favourite of many. Deadly serious recommendation there,

But make sure that your whole party are protected from mosquitos. If there is a downside to my favourite place on Earth, the mozzies do not care like I do.

Boots Jungle Formula on feet ankles calfs and bare arms before dreaming about eating out.

Best wishes
Phil

Phil

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
Hi Mac1, welcome to the forum!  Oh, you are all in for such a treat!  The food is devine, one year I was there for two weeks and I put a stone on!  You need to take three sizes of clothes with you to allow for growth.

I would say that the portions are always enormous so I struggle to have more than one course but on the whole you can eat the most fabulous, freshly cooked meal with drink for between 10-15 euros each, you can spend more or less.  A cooked breakfast is about 5 euros each and for lunch, if needed, I would allow about 8 euros.

There are bakeries selling wonderful pasties and cakes to die for - my downfall!  You can have pizza or gyros (kebabs) just about anything you could fancy, you will find there.

Most tavernas also offer the set price meal which is good value, specials available everyday and always freshly prepared and delicious.

How long are you there for?  I arrive 28th July so might bump into you and your brood.  Enjoy x
Cheryl O

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
Hi Mac1,
We go in a family of 6 adults , 1 kid and a toddler. They are all good and all cater very well for us but we eat at Vavilas (as Phil mentions) more often than not.
Prices are the cheapest I have seen in Greece . You will be pleasantly surprised , I would think,  at how cheap it is.....
Enjoy
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Angela66

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »
hi Mac1

We look at around Eu30 for a meal for two with wine.  For children I would look at a further 7 euro a head.  Generally it works out at around Eu7 - Eu12 for a main, Eu4 or so for a starter and the same for a desert.  I seem to recall a large caraf of wine being around Eu6 last year but I might be wrong.  You can keep it cheaper by cutting out starters and deserts or by sticking to the special menus.  The oft mentioned fish restaurant cost hubby and I Eu22 for starters, mains and wine last year!!!!!!!!!!!  We both agreed it was the best meal we have had - unfortunately our wonderful youngsters are horrified by the mere mention of fish so we shall not get the chance to partake this year:(

We tend to take coffee and coffee mate out with us, a few biscuits etc.  It means we can spend our hard earned money on nicer things when we are there.

Enjoy xx
Angela

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
Where is vavilas?x

Offline mac1

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the info, we arrive on 21st July and are staying at the Mirage for two weeks, we usually stay in Agios Gordios which we love, but thought we would have a change this year, I have found the info on this site very useful and its great to see how many people return year after year, can't wait to see it for myself!

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
We have just returned last night from arillas. Ate at vavallis twice and it was the cheapest. You need to book though. It is a little bit off a walk. Just ask and someone will point u in the right direction. Vinceremos is also very reasonable. Unfortunately cannot recommend graziellas anymore after they failed to cook mussels properly so they closed again and when we mentioned it to the waiter he just said to prize them open. Consequently my daughter was ill. The kaleftico at vinceremos is divine.

Offline darren-jane

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:51:03 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the info, we arrive on 21st July and are staying at the Mirage for two weeks, we usually stay in Agios Gordios which we love, but thought we would have a change this year, I have found the info on this site very useful and its great to see how many people return year after year, can't wait to see it for myself!

The mirage usually does a specials board which is usually a starter a main and a pint or a drink for 10 to 12 euros.
Angela and Nikos serve some very nice food and i am sure we will be in there when we arrive for our 5 weeks on the 24th of July.

Captains just up the road from brouklis serves a hearty meal and the biggest portions in Arillas.

the pizza place is always a favourite with the kids.

We do miss steki's for our gyros. We did find him in sidari after he left Arillas but unfortunately he was closed last year.

As most have said does not matter where you eat the service and the food will be a delight.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:48:22 AM »
As most have said does not matter where you eat the service and the food will be a delight.

Darren has more years than me of experiencing Arillas. I fully agree with him and quote him above. But have just learned (we are here in Arillas) that Captains has closed.

Very few say it, but Poppy in Bardis Sun Studios is an amazingly good cook. And some say their meal there was the best they had staying in Arillas. Remember though, like Anna (studios) it is pool-bar, accommodation provider, not a taverna. But I can say that Poppy's baked feta is to DIE FOR. And Anna can do things with bacon that I cannot even suggest on the forum.....

If you eat at all in Arillas you have a high probability of leaving satisfied, and amazed how little you paid.

Phil

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:12:36 AM »
Mac
Like many I've been going for a 100 yrs As well and for the first time I tried mon a mour a meat eaterie just outside the village but they run a shuttle bus there and back , 4 of us starters , mains ,and free fruit put on table st end to cleanse the pallet , with a couple if drinks e65 a must try ,, yiammas and also try effi,s up the steps towards splish spash

Booking.com