Author Topic: Residence Permit  (Read 7497 times)

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Residence Permit
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »
Please can anyone tell me :

a) How to go about applying for a Residence Permit?

b) What documents are required?

c) How much it will cost?

d) How long it will take?

Thanks

Angie

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Residence Permit
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
Angie

You have to make an appointment at the Police Station in Paleokastritsa. An appointment is necessary as they only have one officer who deals with the applications for a resident permit.

Cost is, I think 1e and they are now issued for life.
Allow at least 2 hours as they complete all paperwork there and you leave, hopefully, with a permit.

Take 4 copies of a recent passport photo. There is a shop in Acharavi who can take these.
Best to have 4 copies of everything. - Passport , Tax number , Bank book and I think a recent utility bill, showing a UK address.

Sandy is the latest recipient that I know of who has a resident permit so she will know more.
The officials do tend to change the "rules" occasionally on what paperwork is required.

I am sure that your accountant will soon tell you that, whatever local office you visit, take 4 copies of all your paperwork. (Even your resident permit, when you get it)

Cheers
Negg

Offline hippopotandmouse

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
We did ours last year at Paleo police station.

As Eggy says, you need 4 passport photos, bank statement showing you have 350euro balance (or equivalent, we used UK account) per person applying, and tax ID number and medical cover (he accepted EHIC card).
But double check what you need, as I think requirements change often.

The policeman who did the applications last year was Mr Riganas in Paleo, very nice helpful man, and speaks perfect English.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
It cost 50 cents!!! I think it was Wednesday at 2pm that you have to go....and Mr Riganas was well worth the drive to Paleo  :wink:
Sandy x

Offline hippopotandmouse

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Ha Ha, agree Sandy (this is Jackie, by the way, not Pete!!)

Jackie , as long as you are not making him jealous!

Negg

anyway.... I was told today that anyone who now wants a resident permit has to prove they are taking Greek lessons , to improve their language. Not joking here - That was told to me in good faith and I pass it on. I will try and find out more.

Negg

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Really, really helpful.

Angie

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »
Sorry Jackie - Hit a wrong button on your posting. It now appears I am you??

Another big whoops.

Negg

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »
Don't want to be pedantic - but a Residence "Permit" is not needed if you are a European Union National - as such you have a RIGHT to reside in any member country of the EU, and do not therefore need any kind of "permission". What you do need if you intend to spend more than 90 days in residence is to "Register" your residence and obtain a Certificate of Registration - a Residence "Certificate". 
The Residence/Registration Certificate has unlimited validity and according to European Union directive 2004/38/EC must be issued free of charge.
Unless there is a sound reason (i.e. you are a mass murderer or an international drugs dealer) your "Registration" cannot be refused. The failure to take Greek language lessons, which could perhaps be insisted upon for Greek Citizenship, would not be considered a valid reason for refusing to register your residency under EU regulations.
So, if as Negg suspects, this is now being asked for then the Official asking for it has no right to do so. Quite how you may want to react to that is a matter of personal choice, but when I make my permanent move in the not to distant future I will probably challenge it - despite the fact that I have every intention of actually taking Greek Lessons when I live there.
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
Good Points , Geoff.

But , for example , if you want to buy a Greek Car, do you not need a resident permit?

It is a minefield out there!

and.... another point which seems to be a tad vague. I was always told that , when driving a Greek vehicle you had to have your permit on hand , to produce in case the police stopped you.

Negg

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
Not sure if you need one when buying a car - although I do know that you must have a Greek Tax Number. No doubt I will find out when I try to buy my first car!
As for carrying the permit, yes I believe that you can be asked by Police to produce it if you have one, so therefore should carry it with you.
As you say Negg - it's a minefield.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »
I definitely had to produce my permit last year when I bought my "limousine"....that's why I got it. Strange that you can buy a house without one, but not a car.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 01:57:08 AM »
EuXaristw Geoff as we start on the process of planning our long term in Arillas.

Have the feeling it will be as illegal immigrants.............

Enough said
Phil

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »
Phil, if you are going to be an illegal immigrant anywhere you should make it in the UK - the Benefits are great !! :-)

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »
Phil, if you are going to be an illegal immigrant anywhere you should make it in the UK - the Benefits are great !! :-)

:D :D :D
Life is good ;)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »
Still spilling my Mythos down my front Geoff. And wiping it off the laptop screen. You are so clearly a man who knows what he is taking on. Jen and I will risk a long term relationship before we jump. 2016 the target.........

Phil

Booking.com