Arillas First Timer

Started by martinh, July 16, 2014, 01:21:19 AM

martinh

Got back about a week ago from first time in Arillas and just wanted to say thanks to the forum for all the info...the more i read the more i was reassured we had made a good choice

Been to Greece most years at least once and we love the real Greece which is getting harder to find.  We had been to corfu twice many years ago (Acharavi and St George South) and to be honest we weren't that impressed so when we were looking for a cheap late week away and Corfu came up as an option I wasn't sure.  I had a vague memory that Arillas and San Stefanos were quiet and laid back and reading your website made it look so inviting.

Turned out to be one of the best holidays we have had and will definitely be back for more...it is such a fantastic oasis to relax and chill out.

Highlights for us were,

Lovely studios at Mathraki - great view from the top floor studio we had and the owners made us really welcome

The walks around Arillas were good, even the back road from Mathraki past the chicken pen to the beach was a delight.  The walk over the headland to san stefano was worth the climb for the views.  Thought SS was Ok but made you appreciate Arillas even more

The tavernas and food were all good, never had a disappointing meal.  Kostas on the beach we particularly enjoyed their specials.

The sunsets - we would get to Thalassa (i think that was the name) for about 8.30 to get some chairs at the front.  can't understand why people would rather sit in a bar off the sea front and watch football instead.

The beer - really enjoyed the local brews and made the tour to the brewery (11-1.30 on saturdays even though it was our 1st day).

The beach and the sea were ideal - gently shelving, clear water, pure sand

And above all the people - everyone we met was so friendly and genuine

The only downside was my partner had an eye infection and we needed a Pharmacy.  We went to a local tour office (Arkori? travel) to find that the nearest is in Avliotes and it was too far to walk and their is no public transport. The girl offered to drive us there and back for less than the price of a taxi which i thought was incredibly kind of her.

I guess the lack of big hotel development and the remoteness is what makes Arillas special.

P.S  The roads are in an awful state and the airport is still as bad as i remebered but these things are a price worth paying to get to Arillas!

Hope to go back again next year.  A week isn't long enough. 

Martin

justphil

Welcome to my world Martin and family. All of the downsides you describe can be experienced, but short of heaven, where will you get all the rest?

I am so glad for you that you found Arillas. I predict that you will become another Arillas Addict, an Arilliac...... the words don't matter at all. When you find something you can publicly admit you are fascinated with, and not end up prosecuted, the names for it disappear.

I love this place. I am here. I have forgiven all of her shortcomings, not forgotten them. I am not alone. Finding this silly little fishing village will change your life. But in truth, it is not silly any more and only little by comparison.

Stay on forum, and be welcomed into the community who gave you your holiday this year.

Phil

Erja

Hi Martin,

What a lovely report! Thank you for sharing :)
Life is good ;)

Jo Wissett

Great to hear you enjoyed Arillas (I always feel like a proud mother when first timers give glowing reports lol!!) Martin and I can totally agree with all your recommendations! It is a shame about the pharmacy. One actually opened last year (or was it the previous?) But sadly only lasted a season so I presume it wasn't viable for the owners.

Val n Bill

Welcome to our world Martin, We stay at the Mathraki twice a year and as you say the family are wonderful, never intruding on your holiday but always there for you.

It's also lovely and quiet there except when all the guests gather for last drinks at night.
We have met many people there who have become great friends even when we only meet maybe once a year.
Once you have stayed there you come back again and again.....even if people stay in other accommodation they often return to spend the day at the Mathraki.

Hope to meet you when you return.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Steph ~

Sounds like you're an Arillas Addict already Martin!  Good to hear you had a lovely holiday and discovered all the joys of Arillas that brings so many of us back year after year. Hopefully you'll be back again too!

Paul D

Hi, Martin. A great report - start of things to come, I suspect?

Another satisfied customer. Arillas works her magic again.

Yammas,  Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Sandy x

So glad you enjoyed our little piece of heaven....
Sandy x

Eggy

Quote from: martinh on July 16, 2014, 01:21:19 AM
I guess the lack of big hotel development and the remoteness is what makes Arillas special.

P.S  The roads are in an awful state 

Martin

Nice report Martin. I have a sneaky suspicion that many locals never push the council too hard about the roads as it helps to keep that "remoteness" that does, as you say, make Arillas special.

Negg

Martin_G

Fabulous report Martin... its really nice to read about how people discover Arillas and what it means to them.

What is it about Arillas and Martin's lol....

Martin