Author Topic: Extreme Sunbathing!  (Read 7775 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Extreme Sunbathing!
« on: August 25, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »
When we were in Arillas in July we were absolutely astounded at the amount of people who were sunbathing directly under the ever crumbling cliff! There was even on guy who was using a (previously fallen) large stone as a make-shift table! The most prescarious stretch I think is the section before the last rock that is the Nudest bit but day after day we saw families having fun yet seemingly not aware or concerned about any danger. We even saw a couple sunbathing in that little cave! Please people be safe!! (That is my public safety announcement for today finished haha)

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
Re: Extreme Sunbathing!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
I know the stretch you are talking about Jo. When we were there in June there were people there when there was a really bad fall. Gladly the noise warned them and they managed to move quickly enough to avoid injury or worse. I guess in this country there'd be signs everywhere but as with most things in Greece they let people use their common sense. Unfortunately many people seem to leave their common sense at home when they go on holidays.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
You're right, Jo. They must be mad. But they just don't think about it. Last September, there was the biggest rock pile after a collapse, that I've seen over the years. Think a warning sign was put up then.
Safe to say we will be further along the north end.

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »
I agree Jo. Day after day they were there....often under the bit that looks as though it's going to fall off at any minute!! There is a notice there, but at the near end only. There used to be a much bigger sign.
Sandy x

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
Picture of this event coming up

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
Arillas Rockfall north beach by pj's memories, on Flickr

This is the rockfall Paul and Sandy refer too.  Lots of sunbeds were wrecked but fortunately everyone was in the sea when it happened.

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
Thanks for the timely reminder, Pat.  Shows what can happen at a moments notice.

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Martin_G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »
Last week there were one or two people in that spot, one or two signs, and lots of huge cracks in the cliff face.. Its a matter of time before someone is hurt.

Martin

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »
In July I stared at the cracks from the edge of the sea, well out of range, thinking exactly the same Martin. I love the North beach, but in many places it would be cordoned off and nobody allowed to go there. Heaven forbid, but it may take the disaster before it is taken seriously.

Phil

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »
In the fourteen or so years I have been visiting Arillas a huge amount of that cliff has fallen onto the beach. The path has moved ever inwards. it's a shame, but looks like not much can be done to stop the erosion in this spot. There is a small amount of the same on the south beach, but it's the height of the north beach which makes it so much more dangerous. It's obvious what's going on and that the rock falls are recent, just can't understand the stupidity of some people. The danger is obvious, as you said Dai, it doesn't need signs or cordoning off, just 'common sense'. As for the cave Jo, it doesn't bear thinking about!

Martin. 

Booking.com