Author Topic: Tips for keeping spending to minimum?  (Read 17177 times)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
Tips for keeping spending to minimum?
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:43 PM »
Have you got any tips for the cheaper bars, restaurants and supermarkets? How often do you eat out or do you mostly use your apartment cooking facilities, and if so do you save by doing that? I've been adding up and I spend about 50e a day eating out and on drinks just for me.That's eating out twice a day and my couple of beers during the day, and a few (:-))rums from the bars. Can it be done for less? I don't go on trips so they're not included - who wants to leave Arillas?, not me - I'm just looking at keeping food and drink costs down to a minimum.

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
Re: Tips for keeping spending to minimum?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:15:33 AM »
€50 a day just on food and drink? geeez! lol - I allocate myself around that amount per day as well but that includes everything - food, drink, day trips, gifts etc . I took €700 with me back in August for the 2 weeks and i still didn't spend it all - shame i can't take that skill home with me lol

I generally end up having to make my own breakfast most days because places aren't open at the time i like to have my breakfast. Eggs, bread, cheese & croissants etc don't really amount to much so that probably saves me a good amount of money.

I very rarely have lunch (unless you class ice cream & Mythos as lunch lol) because i'm just not hungry during the day. I find the heat suppresses my appetite so again, i'm not spending much there either. Only a few € on drinks.

My evening meals, most of the time, i'd say i spent around €20-€25 max including a tip. That's usually a starter, main and a drink or two. I don't eat out every evening either. A pizza from Lithero's is only about €10 and i would have the other half the next day.

Most of my money goes on my day trips and buying little mementos from the trip. Oh and stocking up on boxes of white chocolate oreos to bring home lol

If you're trying to find places to save money on, i'd suggest making your own breakfast for at least half of your stay. Also, make your own sandwiches for lunch and then eat out on an evening as you usually would or maybe alternate days instead. I find the supermarket prices are pretty reasonable if you stick to the local/greek brands. I find the popular/well known brands are much more expensive due to them having to be imported.

Instead of having another drink after your meal, buy some from the supermarket and have it on your balcony or on the beach instead. I paid €4 for a bottle of retsina in a restaurant and then saw it in the supermarket for €1.20!!

I don't usually make an effort to cut back on things on holiday because it's a treat and don't want to be fussed on what things cost. Which is easy for me to do as i have no one else to pay for. Plus, i always put my spending money aside as early on as possible so it doesn't look like i'm spending as much when the time comes :-)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
Our routine is generally, coffee and maybe slice of toast first thing then we either have a late breakfast somewhere or wait a little longer then have a late lunch which puts us on till our evening meal. We generally have a couple of drinks at the apt early evening. This year Mick got me a lovely white wine which was about 4 euro for a 2 Ltr bottle haha. One of the cheapest meals we had last year was Gratzela and people say that Vavilis fish restaurant is very reasonable as well. We still managed to get through 2k (gulp) in our fortnight though (4 of us) which obviously isn't cheap but I couldn't imagine anything worse than cooking on my hols, especially with the limited facilities!

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
On average I spend between £2000 /£2500 on our 10 day trip for the 3 of us that included food drink bike hire  car hire,boat hire everything I don't scrimp but understand other have to pull there belts in but does it matter as long as you enjoy ,, yiammas

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
We also buy some alcohol to have on the balcony. One of the first things I buy is a bottle of Ouzo and some lemonade to drink in the evening whilst getting ready to go out for our evening meal.  We just have cereal,  fruit and greek yoghurt for breakfast mainly but do occasionally treat ourselves to breakfast.  I am afraid we are rather lardy at lunchtime as we love the gyros from the takeawy next to Alex's supermarket for lunch. I also buy a small, pull cap bottle of retsina from the supermarket and love eating the gyros and drinking the retsina on the beach. My husband washes his gyros down with a bottle of mythos again from Alex's.  We then eat out at night and either go to the Nut afterwards for a drink or back to the bar at Bardis Sun Studios for a drink and sometimes both. We also spend  about 50 euros a day per person and this does not include trips.

We have also found Vivilas fish restaurant to be the cheapest to eat out at night if you have the set menu and, of course, you need to like fish.  Graziellas and Vinceremos are also very reasonable. The most expensive meal we had last time we went was at Thalassa's.

One of the frustrating things I have found  in the past is having to buy things like washing up liquid, washing up cloth and other basic essentials when you arrive. I often wonder what happens to the half used bottles of washing up liquid etc that everyone leaves. This year I took a lot of basics with me ie washing up liquid, hand wash, dishcloth, tea, coffee etc. I even shoved a couple of toilet rolls in my suitcase! I also take some washing powder for rinsing anything through that I need to whilst there.  Most self catering places now in the UK do provide a welcome pack and some other basic stuff but I am afraid that does not seem to be the case in most places in Greece. One of my few gripes! I also found that it is cheaper to buy things like Melon whole and cut it up yourself rather that buying those packs of cut up melon that you can get in the fridges in the supermarkets. This year the cheapest place to by cherries which I love to put in the fridge and snack on was at the supermarket at the crossroads, near the cash machine.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
we normally spend around 70euros a day for both of us, but i do a "big shop" when we get there, spread, ham, cheese, fruit, yogurt, tomatoes etc. we normally have fruit and yogurt for breakfast and make a packed lunch to take to the beach. then in the evening we eat out and have a few drinks. we do buy beer and wine to drink on the balcony too. i  take things with me, coffee, tea bags, j cloths, i couldnt take washing up liquid this year as we only had hand luggage!
the evening meals seem to equal themselves out, if we have a blow out one night we have a cheaper one the next!
ger x

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »
I always come home with spare Euros and so guess my spending isn't as much as anticipated but try to take enough to have a comfortable time.
I guess average spending during the whole day is no more than €50 for 2 people - but then there will be cheaper days and more expensive days.

We tend to get a bottle or two in the duty free, so we can have drinks in the apartments before going out or later in the evening.   

We always do a shop on arrival to get a things for breakfast/snacks - and then fresh bread daily. Breakfast is usually toast and cereal, hardly ever eat out for brekkie unless we win it in the Kaloudis quiz!  Lunch is either a salad or toastie by the pool (Sharon's) or a tin of stuffed vine leaves and a yogurt/fruit.   Drink throughout the day is water (I need it in that heat), with maybe the odd beer or iced tea.  Evening is a meal out - favourites being Brouklis, Portofino, Kostas where 2 courses each, wine, beer and water comes to around are water, the total spend for a couple is maybe €35.  Then perhaps have a drink or cocktail in Amos.

We tend to do a trip or hire a car, so there is additional money for that - but I think we tend to budget something like €70 per day and it evens out.
 I know my mum and her chap  can easily spend €50 at Sharon's on lunch & beer throughout the day though!!

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 01:35:08 AM »
Jo I agree ...the very idea of cooking whilst away fills me with horror. A big part of going to Arillas is eating out and escaping from the drudgery of home! We have just coffee for breakfast and then a snack lunch at wherever the car takes us ...usually an omelette. Evenings are spent at one of the many lovely eateries where we drink wine, lots of it! Afterwards, a forray to Horizon, Akti or The Nut for a nightcap. Yes, like Jo we spend a gulp-making approximate £2000 which includes car hire and gifts. Justified though.
gaygo

Offline dylan

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »
We normally take around £700 to £800 for the two of us for the week, tend to do our own lunches and breakfasts, as we get up early to! no point wasting time sleeping in Arillas! it shortens your holiday! trips are cheaper locally, if you want to explore, but have seen most now so tend to stay in Arillas.
We are not big eaters, so tend to eat out about three times in the week, other days, we go to Beach Point café on the front, excellent food, such as Gryos, Souvlaki, etc., and half the price of most restaurants! also sell a very agreeable Ouzo to finish!

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone ... there are some good tips here. I love reading about how we all do our Arillas so differently.

I honestly don't think that I can cook when I'm there either. I always buy some fruit and biscuits for a snack if I'm starving and I take my green tea with me - I drink about 6 cups a day, I'm addicted to the stuff. What I might start and do is go to Beahc Point - I've never been - and get a snack for the beach and a buy a bottle of Mythos from the supermarket, I think that'll save me the restaurant prices for a lunch. Breakfast at the Rainbow or the Marina can't be beaten at 5e, even if I bought stuff in it's still dead cheap for a good breakfast.

I'd forgotten about Thomas' set meal, I might start going there more. I went a couple of years ago and loved it, it was excellent food and value, I don't know why I haven't been back. What I'm trying to do is watch the pennies so I can stay for longer next year. Right now I'm thinking of booking a one way ticket at the beginning of July and staying for a few weeks, the less I spend the longer I can stay.

As for the rum, there's no saving to be made there unfortunately, couldn't cut down on that if I tried!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
So identify cypress. The temptation to "go large" every day is overwhelming, but in our 12 years of Arillas we have learned to stay longer and spend less.

"Less is more" though, and as you so eloquently said earlier in the year, Jen and I share our "soul mate love" for each other, and our unconditional love of Arillas. Forum and Facebook are all very well, but the real thing is the point for us two.

I am struggling to put numbers on daily spend, it varies enormously in July. But I guess it comes in at more than 40, less than 70 euros a day. In spite of reputation, most of it goes on glorious, Greek food, eaten in the evening. Don't deprive yourself of the best ... the other 50 weeks of the year  can take care of the worst.

Phil

Offline NicandJohn

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 02:07:06 PM »
We bought a little house on pantokrator in 2012 and visit 3 times per year now. Since then we've found our daily spend seems to have fallen- though we have only used the cooker a handful of times!
We usually bring about 1200 euro with us and pay 180-300 for car hire depending on time of year.
We tend to have brunch about 10.30 in the local, costs about 10 euro and includes brandy! We drink water for the rest of the day. In the evening we always eat out and spend anywhere from 25-50 euro including drinks depending whether we are at a grill room or restaurant.  We tend to drink retsina in tavernas and restaurants rather than spirits and beers which I suppose keeps the cost down, and we usually have a 5 litre bottle in the fridge at home too.
We tend to bring a hundredish euros home with us, even though we pay the water bill whilst there and perhaps do a little DIY. I painted the shutters whilst there in october, paint, brush, white spirit and sand paper etc cost only 10 euro.

Offline daisyday

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
We tend to spend around 100 Euros a day for the 2 of us.  We have stayed at Akti where breakfast was included and that was a good start to the day but if staying in an apartment we tend to buy bread and have toast/tea in the morning (bringing own teabags from home).  We love the restful feel of Arillas and have a walk after breakfast, then beach, then we like to eat at Effi's for lunch spending a good couple of hours there with a few meze items and a small bottle of retsina and a big bottle of water - usually around 15-20 Euros.  Then more beach and then we buy our own retsina for our fridge and have a balcony drink before going out for dinner.  We tend to frequent most places with varying prices often followed by another balcony retsina.  We tend to do a few trips - into Corfu Town or Kassiopi but 100 Euros per day tends to cover everything.  But that's usually our budget - we say two weeks 1400 Euros, one week 700 Euros! 

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
Ah yes, Phil ... the real thing... I could do with it right now, I'm having an Arillasattack. It hits me at different times. The only possible thing to do? Have half an hour on here! :-)

Offline PMC

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
We have just completed our third visit to Arillas (I will post a review soon) and for me, hubby and 11 yr old daughter we spent around £1700 (included trip to waterpark, horseriding, a couple of trips to hippopots). We spent most days around the Mirage pool (where we stayed). We would have a big lunch, then drinks throughout the day, then dinner either at Mirage or somewhere else in Arillas followed by a few cheeky nightcaps before the balcony for a couple of Mythos).  Our daughter just goes to the bar and gets her own drinks and ice creams and puts them on our tab and I tend to have a couple of their lovely cocktails before sunset.  I never cook on holiday, although we did have a few balcony lunches this year, but I was so chilled out, the thought of even making a toastie soon wore off - Lol.  One holiday a year, and we always plan not to come home with any money.

Booking.com