Author Topic: Tips for keeping spending to minimum?  (Read 17213 times)

Offline jackson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Tips for keeping spending to minimum?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
My son and myself usually go on holiday once a year also, and he allways plans not to come with any money, only problem is that it is usually mine,roll on next year

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 01:16:35 AM »
So what's everyone's budgets this year? Makes interesting reading and offers food for thought quite literally:)

Offline Jez

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »
I'm going to try to get by on €50 per day for 10 days. Stock up the fridge at the brewery and Breta's when I arrive. When I get sick of the white wine I will buy the red, ouzo in the bars and cook every other night. The rest I will squander in a wanton disregard!!

Jez

Offline rob49uk

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
Jeez, I with you on that one, Robert

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »
My budget is e1500 which actually calculates at e53 a day for 28 days. Some days will be less, when I'm at the Donkey Sanctuary spending is limited to water and homemade sandwiches during the day, and a pizza at the Achilleas Pension where we stay, or a bite to eat up in Doukades before literally collapsing in bed very early, so not much spending goes on when I'm there.

Last time I was at the Sanctuary I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks, then after my holiday in Arillas I'd put it all back on because that's where some seriously wonderful eating and drinking occurs! 

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »
I think i'll be taking about €250 with me in May. That should be enough for a week, i think. I won't be packing in as many day trips as usual as my mum will be with me. We'll only be doing maybe one or two. She prefers the more relaxed approach rather than being here, there and everywhere like i usually am.

Then there's 2 weeks in August as well, so i think around €550 (think that's what i took last year) for then. I don't eat as much when it's hot, but a Mythos and Ice Cream budget is definitely needed! haha And of course,  €€€ for my day trips :D

Rachel x

p.s Haven't been on here for a few months - loving the new layout :-)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 06:58:14 PM »
How in the world do you spend e550 in two weeks and go on all of those trips too?? I need some tips from you Rachel!

Welcome back, you've been missed

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 07:24:32 AM »
Thank you Cypress :-)

I don’t know really?! Ha -  I thought it was a pretty decent budget for everything I need. I always allow €30 a day then take an extra €100 or so as a ‘just in case’
Apart from food and the day trips, I don’t really spend much on anything else. I buy a few momentos for myself and gifts for family and that’s about it. I’m not a big drinker, even though my numerous photos of glasses of Mythos may suggest otherwise lol I don’t actually have that many… honestly! Haha
The day trips don’t work out too expensive either. Apart from the Albania trip (€60) and my horse riding (€28) most of the ones I have been on were under €20 

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
I've been panicking that e50 a day won't be enough - but this time I've got to stick to it, if I run out there's no more to fall back on this year. when it's gone it's gone. Breaking down previous years' spend, it was nearer to the e70 a day mark. Fifteen euros on lunch, e20 for dinner, e20 (ok ... e30.... or more!) on cocktails, and then breakfast and some bits and bobs.

No wonder I put on so much weight, this year I'll have to miss out on one the meals.

(Notice how I didn't decide to reduce the alcohol .... oh well :-))

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »
Thank you Cypress :-)

I don’t know really?! Ha -  I thought it was a pretty decent budget for everything I need. I always allow €30 a day then take an extra €100 or so as a ‘just in case’
Apart from food and the day trips, I don’t really spend much on anything else. I buy a few momentos for myself and gifts for family and that’s about it. I’m not a big drinker, even though my numerous photos of glasses of Mythos may suggest otherwise lol I don’t actually have that many… honestly! Haha
The day trips don’t work out too expensive either. Apart from the Albania trip (€60) and my horse riding (€28) most of the ones I have been on were under €20

Hi Rachel !  Hows things ?
I will miss the horse riding this year :-( .  My daughter took a couple of falls while riding and she has basically lost her bottle to do it now.  She was fine after the falls (quite close together) and then about two months later she was petrified , poor kid , at least she gave it a go though
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
e50 a day?

Breakfast (If you eat it) a little bread and a little fruit and a cuppa -  or Uk breakfast to set you up - Maximum outlay e8.
Lunch, if you need it, Burger  n Chips n a beer - e10 max.
Evening - Meal plus a few bevvies to follow on the evening. e22.

Make a sarnie for lunch if you had an English breakfast. Cornflakes for breekie then have a lunch.

Reckon e35 a day will get you by.

Negg

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
Thanks Neill - that's just what I'll have to try and do this time. You might see me looking gaunt and waif like due to lack of food, but I won't be without a Mythos and I'll be happy just to be there in my paradise :-)

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
I agree , 35 euro should do you fine I would say.  If alone it would do me thats for sure  :-)
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
    • Instagram
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
Hi Truth,  I'm okay thanks. Hope you're well?! :-)

Oh no :( Hope she wasn't hurt?! The best thing to do is to get her straight back on them! (I'm sure you know that anyway)  How old is she? can you not convince her to go on a smaller horse and that she won't fall off those because they are slower? lol If she can do it again (without falling) i'm sure she'll get her confidence back. It would be a shame to miss out.

I am undecided as yet if i will do it this year. I have to take the beginners route for obvious reasons and well, after doing it twice... i've taken photos of everything - i need some new scenery lol - we'll see!

back to the subject of budgets.. a 2-3 day trip to Athens has caught my eye and that's just under €200 for that trip alone, so i may just have to up my budget this year after all.. :D

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 01:34:57 AM »
It all depends on what you need for a good day in Arillas. Anywhere else for that matter. If you do it cheap, you can stretch maybe 200 euros through the week and still eat in some of the best places. Friendship is free. Loving the coastline is free. Loving is free too, but we all know that....

Eating in Arillas can be cheap as well. OK, there are cheaper places to eat but the difference is quality, for next to nothing more. Arillas' chefs/cooks (call them whatever you like) are superb. If you want cheap and good you get it there - in other places you get cheap and doubtful or cheap and dreadful. Try Christos' at Beach Point Gyros. Not my taste but many tell me they are brilliant. For a very reasonable price.   

We tend to save up and then rely on credit cards to push the boat out during our special times. Can never forget our 34th anniversary at Thalassa. We ate all we wanted of Katerina's special cooking and enjoyed a fabulous evening there and the bill had a 5 in front. 50 odd euros for a night like that. It was a few years ago, but try that on here in the UK.

So conscious this post is turning into a eulogy, but I might post it anyway. I have been criticised for saying how much I love being in Arillas but I am never going to be moved from my position. Budgets, Bo**ocks and Bull***t will go to hell before I do.

Phil

Booking.com