Author Topic: Tips for keeping spending to minimum?  (Read 17202 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Tips for keeping spending to minimum?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 02:06:40 AM »
That's all well and good Philip but just where is your holiday report?? I do believe that you have the honour of re-opening the 'tell us your story' thread.... Chop chop...;)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 03:20:34 AM »
I hate Phil "ip" Jo meluvver, as you know so well.... So Philip might make a hissyfit and refuse....

In response though, I will try and reconstruct the events of our week of heaven and share even more than I did on Arillas Today. Give me a mo tho - it might take a while...

loveandhugs
Phil
"ip"

Offline keith(geezer)

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
me and ann are hoping that 85 e a day will do us this year but last year we eat out all the time and that was  just 85 e a day and we have got money lift over from first week we do a tripin the next week

Online Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
Hi Truth,  I'm okay thanks. Hope you're well?! :-)

Oh no :( Hope she wasn't hurt?! The best thing to do is to get her straight back on them! (I'm sure you know that anyway)  How old is she? can you not convince her to go on a smaller horse and that she won't fall off those because they are slower? lol If she can do it again (without falling) i'm sure she'll get her confidence back. It would be a shame to miss out.

I am undecided as yet if i will do it this year. I have to take the beginners route for obvious reasons and well, after doing it twice... i've taken photos of everything - i need some new scenery lol - we'll see!

Glad to hear it Rachel !

She did get back on twice and then she just seemed to get post traumatic stress disorder weeks after !!  lol .  She is 10 and ias adamant she won't be riding again :-(

back to the subject of budgets.. a 2-3 day trip to Athens has caught my eye and that's just under €200 for that trip alone, so i may just have to up my budget this year after all.. :D
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Anne

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 11:38:01 PM »
I am loving all your tips. As we are here for 3 months it is financially impossible for us to eat out all the time. We have a cooker, fridge/freezer and washing machine in the apartment so we can cater for ourselves quite adequately, but as well as being retired we are on holiday too. We tend to have cereal or toast for breakfast. Maybe a sandwich for lunch, I cook 3 or 4 times a week and eat out the other evenings. Contrary to popular belief we do not drink alcohol much during the day, usually coffee or water. When we do eat out we tend to have a litre of house wine with our meal and occasionally we have a night cap at the Nut or next door at the Marvel. We buy mainly local items rather than UK brand names, apart from coffee that has to be Nescafe. Local bread from the bakery is quite cheap @ .80 for a fresh loaf. This makes us sandwiches and the rest is used for toast. When I cook it is sometimes an omelette, make from the delicious local eggs and a bit of salad. I find Chicken and minced steak or quite economical too. There is a great supermarket called Berettas on the way out of Arillas, their meat is excellent and cheap. They make their own souvlaki which we have grilled with salad. All in all I think we eat for less here than we do at home. I would guesstimate we spend around about 150 euros a week on food and drink. Anne
We were in Arillas for 2 whole months and going again for 2 weeks :-)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 12:40:56 AM »
That is the point Anne, long term means "it is financially impossible for us to eat out all the time."

If you want to be in Arillas long term it is not about holiday, it is about wanting to live a life in Arillas. Or nearby. You need transport, you need internet, you need money. You need to be able to live the lows and the highs. You need friends. Jen and me are very cautious folk, risk averse and getting on a bit. I admire others who have taken the risk and done it, but we have a life already. Arillas or Bust is your experiment with all of this. I hope it gives yous both the answers. I still have questions.

Phil

Offline Jez

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Well folks, we did I!. Viv and I "survived" on less than €50 per day. Viv even gave me €120 back, my half of what we didn't spend.

We ate out alternate nights; Mon Amour, Brouklis and once in San Stef (I don't remember the restaurant name) and in Corfu Town on the return trip. Barbequed at Bob and Nicky's one night; those village sausages are mouth-watering.

We had spit roast goat on Easter Sunday in Rachtades, with salad which I watched the young girls pick from the garden 10 minutes before we ate it. We thought we were just popping round to the neighbours for an aperitif! All washed down with home made wine which was actually very drinkable. What a fantastic experience, so hospitable and genuinely friendly.

Viv made lemon meringue last night with the lemons from the village, wow what a flavour...

Wish I was there right now...

Jez

Booking.com