Author Topic: Village to visit?  (Read 29197 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Village to visit?
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
Each year we have a day (maximum I can stand away from paradise) where we either hire a car or moped to explore a little if the island. This year a must is the 007 bar in Pagi and I was also interested in going to glyfyda beach and maybe myrtiotissa beach and loutses. Not sure if this is viable has anyone any experience of visiting any of the afore-mentioned? Major apologies for the spelling lol

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: Village to visit?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »
Pagi is a must....not sure I'd bother with Glyfada. Even when I went there in 1972, it was very busy and commercialized.
Myrtiotissa is lovely. My memory of that and Glyfada were that there are very steep approaches....might be tricky on a bike?
Sandy x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
Go and visit Jimmy and Eleni in Pagi - it's a must.  When you get to the village turn right at the junction and pop into the little shop...it has lots of lovely craft work for sale.

We always try to squeeze in a visit Ermones beach... http://in-corfu.com/resorts/ermones.html

xxx

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
Doukades (Think it translates as the place of the Dukes, so quite an affluent little village) is a joy. Sit in the little square with the locals, then maybe lunch at Elizabeth's. That's something I try to do every year ....before or after a visit to the donkey sanctuary of course - or donkey factory, as my mum calls it!

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
I agree with Cypress. Doukades is delightful! Also up in the hills above Paleo is Lakones...stunning views!
gaygo

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
That's it then girls...Doukades is next on my hit list.

Gaye we always enjoy a visit to Lakones too.  We give the bigger, more popular coffee stops a miss as they are over priced and far too busy with coach parties, but we we do stop at Anastasis which is about two-thirds of the way through the village.  It is a mini-market come coffee shop and has a seating area through the rear with fabulous views along the coast.

The lovely lady owner is the sister of Kostas of Porto Timoni fame and so very proud of him.  It's difficult to leave the premises without bags of white onions, oregano and peaches thrust upon you! 

Offline Jez

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
Try a drink in Angelica's ouzeri in Kavadades, Neill will show you the way, it's near his house. Just real Greece, it's fantastic....

Jez

Offline NicandJohn

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »
Our house is in Loutses, it takes us about 25 mins from there to Arillas. It's worth a visit particularly if you have read the book (The Greek for Love). I would suggest a meal at Jellatis in Nea Perithia on the way up. Old Perithia is only five minutes further up the hill after Loutses.
We visit Myrtiotissa every visit and the beach is now much smaller than it was after rock falls from the cliffs above over the last few years, though the track has been concreted a few years ago and is ok in car or bike.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:57:36 PM »
Pelekas is a good place to visit, call into the bakery on the right as you turn the bend on the way through the village, and the witches gift shop just a little further up the hill.
There are a few Cafes in the square and you are in easy reach of the Kaisers throne which has fantastic views over the Island.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:20:14 PM »
'A Traveller's Guide To Fifty Corfu Villages' by Steve Ford is perfect for anyone who likes to get out and about in Corfu.
All the monies raised from the book sales go to charities in Corfu.
Available in downloadable format or in soft cover from http://www.corfuvillages.eu/  &  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corfu-Villages-Book-Steve-Ford/dp/B00QSQ1BSU/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418940269&sr=1-3&keywords=corfu+villages

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who have contributed on this thread. Just been looking at it for when we are there next week so that we can get ideas of where to go when we hire quads. Yes, I did say quads. Did it last year as we were there for my son's 21st birthday and him and his girlfriend were going to hire one so we said o.k we will a well  so that we could go in front and set the speed. We absolutely loved it. So if you see me and my husband, both knocking 50 on a quad driving though Arillas - give us a wave!

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
Loving the ideas on here - I've been round the island several times but, in the past, didn't always stop to explore the small villages on the way to the destination.  This has certainly given me some ideas for the days we have the jeep and new villages to explore. Thanks!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
I thought I would resurrect this post to see if anyone had any other suggestions of must-see villages.

24 sleeps for us!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
Rachtades is a super place to visit and not far away from Arillas. (Kavadaddes/Armenades side) There are many who have paid a visit and enjoyed.
Negg

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »
Canal D'amour near Sidari is meant to be nice. I think you can get a bus to Sidari and then it is about a 10 minute walk.

Booking.com