Author Topic: Arillas newbie  (Read 39131 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Arillas newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 06:04:06 PM »
Lovely pics PMC69! I am sure that tabhunt will be even more excited now!

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
Jo, never  mind about tabhunt being more excited about going but after seeing those pics i am getting very excited. Going a month later this year as couldnt get booked up for july.And that what trying last October!! Its getting very popular. This will be our 4th time and cant wait. Tabhunt you will love it and never want to go anywhere else again.

Offline tab

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
Yes they are lovely pictures and the sunsets are as wonderful as the ones we saw in the Maldives last month. We have read about the Arillas trail on here so will attempt that at some stage. I think at this rate we might be booking for next year before we actually go this year lol. I haven't been back to the same place for a long time but Arillas might just change my mind. Yes Dai, I'm with you on that one with the ticket touts etc, that's why I never went back to the Canaries. The best thing we experienced in Sidari was seeing the fireflies on the way back to our apartment in the evenings, was truly magical. Talking of insects, It seems that mozzies are a big issue in Corfu, more than other Greek islands it seems. Does anyone know if their numbers reduce during September? My wife is a magnet to the little blighters and we will be taking the usual precautions with plug ins and spray. We will be using the A/C at Mirage and are hoping this will help the situation. Any further tips would be appreciated.
Martin

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 08:24:57 PM »
We once asked Yannis at Thalassa "when are the mozzies not an issue" and his witty (but true) reply was "December." Jen gets eaten alive as well, but they have never touched me. Her vital treatment is 50% DEET spray all over feet ankles and lower legs. and any exposed skin in the evenings. That is the worst time for getting bitten. BTW - she hasn't had more than an odd bite in the last 5 years, having spent 20 weeks there during that time.  But she never lets her guard down.

Phil

Offline dylan

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 09:49:05 PM »
Welcome newbie! we went to Georgoupolis in Crete, for many years, and loved the area, and made many good Greek friends there.
Chania and Rethynmon, are lovely places to visit as well, but the village did start to get a little too commercial, and noisy, so I started looking for somewhere like it when is was so unspoilt.

After a long search, I found Arillas! and we have been coming back every year since, you will love it, I am sure, although when we arrived on our first trip, I walked down to the seafront with my wife, who said is that it! two hours later, after a walk round, and a few Mythos, she said "can we come back next year!"

Lovely people, lovely food, great little beach, amazing sunsets, lots of nice walks, and a brewery! what could be better!
Will be back as usual in Sept, have a great time.

Offline tab

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
Nice that you remember Georgioupolis in its earlier years Dylan but as you say it did start to get busier and noisier. But I did have the best kleftico ever in Valentino taverna. Maybe Arillas can offer me a better one lol.
 I did suggest to the missus that she could wear socks and sandals for the whole duration of our stay there to protect her ankles but she hit me haha.
I've also heard that snorkelling isn't so brilliant off the beach so are there any other places near by where we can snorkel?

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »
Not sure about the snorkeling Tabhunt! We love to go out on a boat and take a swim but haven't done any snorkeling as yet!
Phil is right about the 50% deet. It's the best. Years ago I had a couple of experiences with nasty mosquito bites as they became infected and I had to take antibiotics.Therefore I started using the 50% deet.  I also recommend taking anti histamine tablets for about 2 weeks before you go and during your stay. The cheap supermarket brands work just as well. If I do get bit (which is very rarely now) these tablets seem to stop the bite from swelling or itching but mostly it prevents the bites getting infected.I also take vitamin B tablets 2 weeks before I go and during my stay...it has something to do with yeast? Eating Marmite supposed to be good too!
I little over the top you may be thinking,(but touch wood) I've rarely been bit for about 10 years now and if I have I've hardly noticed. I mostly wear cool cotton maxi dresses during the evenings too as it tends to be around the feet and ankles that they bite. I'm sure there are many more precautions and remedies out there however these have worked for me for many years. There is nothing worse than mozzie bites ruining a holiday!
btw...Arillas really is a fantastic p;ace! It is also the first place that we have ever returned to for two years running! We didn't go last year as we visited Alykes in Zante which was beautiful and we had a lovely holiday but it wasn't Arillas. I don't think we will be looking anywhere else in the future as we are also hooked! We are going for two weeks in August this year (third time) and hopefully our son, his wife and our beautiful grand children will be joining us later in the year for another week (first time for them)
As everyone else has already said, it truly is an amazing place! The locals are amazing too! In fact it is the people of Arillas that have made it such a special place!
Have a great holiday!

Suzy X 

Offline tab

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »
Hi Suzy and thanks for that. We actually took 50% deet with us to the Maldives last month but as they spray the island once a week she didnt get bitten once so we didnt have to use it. We were also just talking about taking anti hystemene tablets but unfortunately we're both marmite haters haha! Judy had a bad mozzy bite reaction like you did when we were in Sidari 2 years ago and had to get anti biotics from the pharmacy. As you say it can ruin a holiday no matter how wonderful the place is.
I remember going to Alykes many years ago with my first wife and we enjoyed the walk to Alikanas and sometimes riding on the horse and carriage back to Alykes.
Thats what I love most about Greece, the friendliness of the people and they just love it when you greet them with a polite 'kalimera', it seems to make their day.
5 months,24 days,22 hours and 32 minutes to go but whos counting haha!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
Tab hunt there are many many mozzie threads on here but suzy's advice is pretty much what we hàve been doing for the last 17 years. Always do the Vit B complex tablets and someone said they hate garlic and we eat loads of that throughout our stay. I also wonder if we have built up an ammunity to the little blighters visiting the same area for so many years?

Offline cathovo

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
will mossies be bad in august the feeling of dread has just gone through usually end up getting bitten then it gets infected I cant walk x

Offline tab

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Actually Jo i've always why you never see Greek people covered in bites and I put it down to the amount of olive oil and garlic they eat. I hate cucumber with a passion ( more than marmite lol) but I love tzatzicki and the more garlicy the better so will definately be checking how good it is in Arillas

Offline tab

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »
Oops just read my last thread and noticed it should have read ' I always wondered why you never see Greeks with bites'
Is there a way of editing a post once you've posted it??

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »
Back to mozzies....we visited Crete for a few years running, also Rhodes but hardly even got bit there so didn't really take any precautions.It wasn't until we began visiting the Ionian Islands about 12 years ago that I began to get bit more often and they became infected. I've heard this is due to the amount of rain these Islands get during the winter and the humidity...thus why the Islands are so lush green and beautiful and one of the many reasons we keep on returning!

Suzy X

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
One thing we have always done is be very careful about opening and shutting our apt door/windows in the evening.  Most places now have air con so that really helps.  Its almost like a military operation each night when leaving and re-entering haha. We stand in a line then Mick goes ready?.. quick! With regards to August, we have found it is the wasps that tend to be a nuisence rather than the mozzies. Other tips for the dreaded mozzies, Avon do a skin so soft dry oil body spray that mick swears by (white bottle with green label) ans we also take some 1% antihistamine cream should the bites get infected. You can pick this up from most chemists for around £2.  We always use jungle formula spray which is cheapest in Home Bargains. Failing that wear a onesie at night lol

Offline dylan

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Back to the snorkelling! not much around the bat to see, if you ask Olga, at Olgas travel, she will put you right, you may need to go to San Stefano to get a boat to take you out, she would arrange it for you.

Valentinos was great, went there often, mostly drank at Stelios's bar at the the top left-hand corner of the square, had many days with him and his family, did you know the one-armed tobacconist? always high on raki! good times!

Booking.com