Author Topic: Arillas newbie  (Read 39146 times)

Offline tab

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Arillas newbie
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »
Hello all, we have just booked our first trip to Arillas and will be arriving in mid September and staying at Mirage studios. I've already read quite a lot about how traditional Arillas is and that's the main reason we want to go there. Have already been to Sidari and Paleoa and many other islands in Greece, but just wanted to know from you die hard Arilliacs what makes it more special compared to the likes of Sidari or Paleo for example? Sidari was nice but it did have a bit of an 'English' element to it (touts outside the bars etc). Will be back to find out more about Mirage and peoples opinion who stayed there.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Arillas newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:17:11 AM »
Hello tabhunt, and welcome to the forum. Mirage is owned by a lovely couple, Nikos and Angela, who work very hard to make good holidays for their guests. It is on the seafront, and right in the centre of the village.  The quiet seafront road is all that separates you from the beach, and the pool and sea seem to merge into one at many angles!  They have an excellent chef, Vangellis, and serve top-range food, but you will be spoiled for choice within 10 yards of the complex. Many excellent reviews have been posted, as with many other accommodation choices in Arillas.

Arillas has a laid back atmosphere, and can give the feeling that time stood still. True Corfiot food to be had at Brouklis, confirming the Traditional spirit that holds it all together. Hundreds of us never go anywhere else now. The whole area is beautiful, but from what you say, I believe you will adore it.

Keep asking the questions. Someone here knows the answer.
Best wishes
Phil

Offline tab

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »
Thanks for that Phil. I booked with Angela and Nikos direct and have had some lovely emails from them and although they only have a ground floor studio available for us they said if a 1st floor one becomes free (our preference for the sea view)  they will let us know. The proximity to the beach is the main reason we chose Mirage. Yes I have read some reviews on another popular forum with mostly good ones and a few negative ones with, in my opinion petty comments about lack of loo roll or no shower curtain etc ( have they never been to Greece before?? Lol) Really looking forward to visiting lovely tavernas to sample the food, and Mythos and Ouzo of course!!

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:28:10 PM »
only been to Sidari for the day and also Paleo.  The difference is Arillas is not as busy. It is smaller and more compact. There is everything you need without there being too much so to speak. There is not the endless gift shops all selling the same things for instance. There is still a good choice of tavernas and most of them are on the sea front where you can watch the sunsets and yes, the sunsets are amazing. Some of the tavernas are more modern than others so if you like the more modern ones there is some of those or if you prefer the rustic traditional taverna then there is plenty of those also. I have never ate at the Mirage but have heard good things about it. They seem to do a reasonable priced set menu and I think do a lot of fish so I do intend to try it sometime.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
Hi Tabhunt and welcome to the forum...glad you found us :-)

I wholeheartedly agree with Phil and Sonia's comments which don't leave me with much to say!  I can only add that it's the locals who live there all year round, who have lived there for generations that give Arillas it's soul, it's strong sense of pride and continuity.  Their desire to be un-Sidari-like has led this active village to form a tourist committee 'Association of Business Arillas' to preserve and enhance the facilities of Arillas in a slow, steadfast and sympathetic manner.  And that's what makes Arillas special!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
I agree with all the previous comments.  Arillas for me is a beautiful and traditional Greek village which has also changed considerably from our first visit back in 1995 but for the better and has some beautiful classy restaurants as well as the traditional tavernas. The local people are what for me makes Arillas so special and that gorgeous unspoilt beach.  You will love it!

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
everyone in arillas works hard to make sure you enjoy your time there. we have eaten at mirage, but not stayed there, you will probably not need a first floor room to see the sea, its that close!!
lovely pool, infact all the pools in arillas are lovely, and free to use as long as you buy a drink from them!
beware though, once you've been you will never go anywhere else!!!!!!!! arillas will get into your soul!
ger x

Offline tab

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 07:25:33 PM »
Seems like my instincts were correct when I booked this lovely village judging by the great comments I have received up till now. I used to visit a similar place in Crete (Georgioupolis)  quite often many years ago. It too had all the tradition and typical village feel to it. Unfortunately it either became a victim of its own success or it could have become more popular because of a certain tv programme at the time which turned it into a bit of a real estate magnet. I am actually a little surprised that all you regular visitors would want to share this place with anyone else. I'd probably want to keep it a very close secret hehe. Another question about Mirage. I'm totally aware that when in Greece and you are using a certain hotel/apartments sunbeds and pool etc, they expect you to purchase drinks from them rather than bring your own, understandable of course. But as we're actually staying at the Mirage, will they mind if we bring our own water? No doubt we'll probably be having lunch there on occasions. Strange question but just wanted to ask anyway.

Offline SteveL

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem, but why not respect your hosts and buy your water from them, it's probably not very expensive.  Where I stay, they sell large bottles of water in 6 packs, they put very little mark up on it, it's more of a service for their guests and it saves you carrying it from a supermarket.

Offline tab

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »
Fair comment Steve and to be honest we probably will buy it from them most of the time anyway and as you say its not easy lugging large bottles of water about. Maybe they do the same as the place where you stay. But of course lugging bottles or cans of Mythos is much less strenuous lol

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 12:11:48 AM »

Welcome to Arillas.com tabhunt, you have chosen a lovely place to stay.....step out of your apartment cross a narrow road and step on to the beautiful beach.

Most apartment owners prefer you to buy any food or drink that you consume at the pool from their bar, but you can sit on your terrace or balcony and have a drink or something to eat, that's the joy of self catering, you will have a lovely sea view as well.

Don't know how long ago you stayed in Sidari but driving though there about two years ago at night it was full of young people falling out of noisy bars.....although if you go in the morning it's quite nice to stroll around and the beach is full of families.

Arillas is beautiful, traditional, with good restaurants and bars and from the Mirage the loudest noise at night will be from the bull frogs in the stream.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline tab

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
Thank you Val. We were actually in Sidari 2 years ago too and although it was early season and it was lovely in the daytime, the evening was a different matter with touts ( mainly English) trying to invite us into bars to listen to U2  tribute bands and the like. When I explained that we come to Greece to experience GREECE and its lovely culture, food and people etc, we were just given strange looks and sarcastic remarks. Just glad we didnt go in high season. We are so excited, after hearing from you guys that Arillas is nothing like that and is more 'our kind of place'. Looking forward to walking up to the Akrotiri lounge for a drink and the spectacular views

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »
Hi Tabhunt, I was staying in Arillas a couple of years ago and walked over to Sidari one morning. It was probably May or June as later on would have been too hot. It was a lovely walk, with a few beer stops en route. I'd never been to Sidari before but as soon as I hit the Main Street there was a constant bombardment by Brits trying to sell me trips. After one or two I started asking if there were any trips to Arillas, none of the sales reps knew where Arillas was!! Once off the high street I quite liked Sidari, nice lunch overlooking the beach, and the locals were nice and friendly. Got a taxi back and was glad to return to the peace and quiet of Arillas. Wherever I go, being bombarded by sales people is my pet hate. Glad to say you don't get that in Arillas these days.

Offline PMC69

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 04:49:59 PM »
Welcome to Arillas, from another new(ish) member.  I went to Arillas in 1996 and then didn't come back again until 2013.  We fell in love, not only with this beautiful place which hadn't changed, but with the lovely Mirage.  A fantastic place where you can go to sleep and hear the waves lap the shore.  The family are great fun and the boys especially will keep you entertained.  My daughter loves it here and she can wander around, meet lots of other kids, order her own cocktails (non alc of course as she is only 12) and have lots of fun with Billy and Spiros. 
What I love about Arillas is the mornings.  I get up and even at 9am it is quiet on the beach.  I walk down past the wonderful Mirage pool, say hello to Nikos, cross the narrow road and then sit on the beach or go for a beach walk and just lap up the sheer beauty of it all. 
I always hark back to the 70's when I was young and able to wonder off and play without all the media induced fear you get nowadays.  My daughter will be off here and there in Mirage playing hide and seek, in the pool, sitting in the swingy chair and you know the kids are ultra safe.  Happy kids make happy parents indeed.
Ooh and the lovely nights, as quiet, or as lively (Malibu) as you like and the ever so short walk back to the Mirage for a quick Baileys before letting the family have a well earned rest, and then the nightcap on the studio balcony with the only sound being the sea, the mozzies or the music wafting over from Mirage - lol.
I am truly a convert to this amazing place, with many thanks to all the wonderful members stories on here.  You will love it. 
Here are a couple of pics of morning/nights to enjoy from 2014.
Mirages own Billy the Kid!

Cocktail time at Mirage

Morning Coffee at Mirage

Pedalo time

Deserted beach - mornings

Another mirage sunset

PMC

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »
You will adore Arillas. As traditional Greece as you can get and still have the holiday feel. If you want even more traditional Greece, take one of the nature walks or a stroll up to the village of Afionas. The food is amazing wherever you eat and there is also a local brewery where you can have a tour and drink their beer for next to nothing. Cant wait for July and our next visit.

Gary & Carolyn

Booking.com