Author Topic: Tavernas and restaurants  (Read 19778 times)

Offline tab

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Tavernas and restaurants
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:56:11 PM »
Hi, I'm still a bit of a novice on here and have been enjoying reading various posts and reviews etc. But although there are hundreds of reviews and questions about accommodation, I was just wondering why there isn't a board dedicated to tavernas or restaurant reviews. Ive heard several tavernas mentioned in various posts and the delights they have on offer, and I've also had some lovely recommendations from Eileen  on here (via Trip advisor), so I already have an idea where we might eat when we arrive. But I just thought it might be quite helpful for us newbies planning on our first trip to Arillas to point us in the direction of the best eateries. Obviously I imagine they are all lovely but I'm sure all you guys have certain favourites. Of course there may already be a board about eateries and I haven't found it yet lol.
Not sure if this post is in the right place but not sure where else to put it.

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
Re: Tavernas and restaurants
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
tabhunt

in my opinion i would be hard pushed to say which one is the best. They are all equally as excellent as the next one. We try to get round them all but if one was full one night it doesnt bother us as all are great. The prices are pretty much the same in them all too. Few euros difference here and there. I am sure you will get lots of replies on here saying the same thing.

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »
I anticipate a flood of replies to this topic Tabhunt! The choice and variety to you will have in Arillas is just unbelievable.  On the seafront alone there are 10 eating establishments; all with amazing sunsets that will take your breath away. Obviously we all have different tastes and I have particular dishes for various different tavernas.

My top choice is Brouklis. If authentic Greece is what you want, here is the place to start! Think blue checked tablecloths and vines surrounding your tables. Amazing simple Greek food but all cooked in the most dazzling of herbs and spices. My particular favourite dish here is the Lamb chops they are simply divine.  My husband loves the Moussaka and the Bifteki and Souvlaki are also amazing.

If a classy meal for a special occasion is what you are after the Horizon hotel and Thalassa on the seafront are wonderful, with gorgeous ambience and chilled out background music and sometimes live performers, all very low key and unobtrusive. The souvlakia at the Horizon is amazing also.

If you are a fish lover, Vavilas is the place to be, a nice 10-15 minute walk from the centre and I am told very reasonably priced.

Good old Portifino on the seafront is another of our favourites.  Spriros’s stuffed tomatoes are the best in Arillas I reckon and we love the steaks he does.  He also does an excellent priced meze and we often enjoy lovely lazy lunches here also, watching that beautiful sea.
Our first lunch is always spent at Effies which can sometimes look closed but please don’t walk past as we did for many years! (the first restaurant after the Marinaki apts) – the real spelling is much more complicated but someone will tell you! Again a lovely authentic taverna with a lovely chilled out vibe.

We always go to the Marina hotel for their famous Greek night on Saturdays (you need to book) This can be found on the seafront on the crossroads.

We have been going for 17 years and there are still many we have never tried but we aim to put this right in July! I will let someone else tell you about the many others now!

Offline june

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Seeing as you enjoyed kleftico in Georgeoupolis you should enjoy Grandma's lamb in Porto Fino. That's my husband and I love Grandpa's chicken but you'll be spoiled for choice wherever you eat.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »
Hi tabhunt
You may like to take a look at this topic    http://www.arillas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8239.0.html

Offline tab

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:37:10 PM »
Oh yes Jo, Brouklis will be at the top of our list as real traditional Greece is what we love best, and hopefully with the bouzouki playing in the background haha. Im sure there will be loads of replies as its one of the main reason we all go to Greece. But we do want to visit as many different ones as possible, not just to try different menus but also to give our custom to as many places. And I will be on the search for a great lamb or kleftico dish June, its my favourite.
One of the reasons I think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated 'foody' board on here was inspired by the post I read the other night that Dimitris put on here last year about the people who came to his restaurant, went away without complaining and then sent him a disgusting email with foul language content moaning about their experience as his taverna. I was disgusted and embarrassed, just like all of you guys who read it, that one of our landsmen could be so rude. Why couldn't he have just had a word with the staff at the time if he wasn't happy. So if there were a place with all your reviews of the restaurants and the menus, then people would have a true idea as to what to expect, and I don't just mean quality as I'm sure they are all wonderful. But, for example, every place has their own tzatziki recipe and it can differ in taste. I remember when I was in Paleo a few years ago and I ordered tzatziki ( I love tzatziki  but with loads of garlic and not too much cucumber),  but this particular one was virtually all cucumber and not much garlic. So I politely told the waiter it wasn't my preference  and he was absolutely fine with it and didn't even charge me for it. But some people prefer it that way but they wont know unless they've been there or know about someone who has. That's just one example but you know what I mean.

Offline tab

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
Hi tabhunt
You may like to take a look at this topic    http://www.arillas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8239.0.html

Thanks John, that should keep me going for a while lol

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
On the seafront our favourites is vincerrmos especially for kleftiko. Brouklis then is second favourite but not on seafront. For fish vavillas is best and cheap and Thomas serves whatever he catches that day. It is really good value but again not on seafront, just a short 5 min walk from the mirage.

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:17:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum from me Tabhunt

You've certainly opened that can of worms that we all love talking about on here .... the food. It's one of the many reasons that draws me back to Arillas. Greek food is my favourite in its original location; I'm not a fan of Greek restaurants at home, there's something about the use of local ingredients that raises the ante.  And having eaten in many Greek islands over the years, sometimes coming across the odd restaurant that isn't quite up to standard, I do find that nowhere in Arillas are the standards less than perfect. 

Try them in your own time and see what you think, then next year when you go back (:-)) you could try the rest. There's a variety to try, it all depends what you're looking for and the time of day that you choose to eat, some are for dressing up a little of an evening with a famous pianist playing in the background, (as happened last July at the Horizon) some are for lunch in your cossie, but the food at anytime of day is just the best.

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 02:02:29 AM »
As someone who spent over 25 years visiting Greece before I found Arillas I would say there's only one place in Arillas which is truly authentic Greece, that's Efi's. The welcome, the food and the hospitality is unsurpassed in Arillas. A local family with only one purpose, to help you enjoy your time in their village. They have no other interests, no accommodation, no online presence, just a lovely location, with superb food, and a traditional welcome on offer. If you want some Greek meals with a twist then Thalassa is the obvious choice, another local family with a great welcome and great service. Unlike some other places both venues offer great views, plenty of room, ( they have a lot of space between tables ) and an opportunity to chat with some locals. Wherever you go, enjoy! A visit to either of these is more than a meal, it's a night out with friends.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
I have never tried Efis but will do so in July. I can't agree with you Dai though that it is the only "authentic Greek" taverna in Arillas. My brother in law lived on mainland Greece and we visited him and he took us to restaurant and tavernas where only the Greeks go - off the beaten track and some of the ones in Arillas are just as authentic.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »
Efi's is just a superb setting , only ever snacked and drank there (for the first time last year) but there is something infectious about the place ........... 
Vavillas is our fave place to eat as I love fish .
Tria Adelphia is a bit out of town but well worth the walk for a meal , very nice. The bizarre thing is everyone says that the Sunday Lamb roast is out of this world whereas my lot say it is their least favourite meal there
Its all about opinions I suppose ....
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline tab

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
Loving all the reviews folks. Looks like I've started a healthy debate though lol!!

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 03:28:15 PM »
I think in terms of location gratzela is a lovely spot to while away an hour or two and we quite enjoyed their food last year.  I know it's pathetically un-Greek but they did a lovely chicken club sandwich last year which was a great stop gap until dinner! The wine was lovely as well. We were put off for years from trying because this is the only place in arillas where we were stopped in th street and asked to come in but we decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and I'm glad we did.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »
Well for me it has to be spit roast chicken at Brouklis, Grandpas chicken in Portofino ,Vavilas anything from the set menu,occasionally a Pizza take away from Lithero .
At the end of the day you will be spoilt for choice Tab :-)
Not to forget a Gyro from Beach Point for Lunch :-)

Booking.com