Author Topic: Tavernas and restaurants  (Read 19780 times)

Offline soniaP

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Tavernas and restaurants
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 10:19:06 PM »
Yes definitely a gyros from beach point at lunchtime on the beach with some retsina. Ah delicious.

Offline tab

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 10:34:57 PM »
Its about time Gyros was mentioned. Was beginning to think you couldn't get it in Arillas, was starting to worry. I introduced pitta gyros to my new wife 2 years ago in Sidari and she was hooked

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 12:53:21 AM »
soniaP...I couldn't agree more. You can't get more Greek than a Gyros pitta especially at lunchtime on the beach. I like them with a can of ice cold Mythos from the supermarket!
For an evening meal I can only repeat what everyone else has said...you are spoilt for choice and most of them sell fantastic authentic Greek food. We've been twice and still haven't tried all of them! It's difficult to choose a favourite as we love them all for different reasons.

Effie's is a very authentic Greek taverna that serve huge portions at brilliant prices. They do a spaghetti dish with the most tender beef in a delicious sauce (can't remember what it's called...it's a Greek dish that was influenced by the Italians occupation in Greece)Well that's what I heard and it's on many Greek menus) Anyway, it tastes amazing! Their garlic prawns are amazing too! It also has great views of the sunsets! We prefer to eat at the sea front Tavernas but the tavernas in the side streets  serve fantastic food too.

As Jo said, Gratzella has a prime spot on the sea front. You're sort of suspended over the sea...simply stunning views of the sunsets! We too were a little put off as the waiters do stand on the street and gesture you in but not in an intimidating way...however I'm glad we ventured in as their swordfish is amazing and the tzatziki has loads of garlic in it...delicious! Keeps the mozzies away! We enjoyed many lunch and evening meals there which were all great!

Akotori and Gravia are also fabulous places to eat (both on the cliff top walk) we've only ate at Gravia during the day...again absolutely amazing! We stopped off for breakfast on our return from our early morning walk. My husband had a full English which was fantastic and I had Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts...divine! Had a great Greek salad their at lunch too... followed by the best apple pie I have ever tasted!
We walked up to Akotori early one evening to watch the sunset...fantastic views from the roof top! We didn't want a heavy meal so we had a delicious filled baguette each...both brilliant and still too filling! We stayed until about 11pm and walked back through the village rather than the cliff top(even with a torch we wouldn't chance it, especially after a few too many cocktails and ouzos!
Tabhunt...You really must try both places...the walk alone is worth it and the views really are breathtaking!

As I'm sure you've realised...the list is endless but where ever you choose to eat you will be welcomed with open arms and will receive the most genuine hospitality!

Kali Orexi....think it's Greek for bon appetite!

Suzy X

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:41 AM »
Akrotiri takes on a totally different atmosphere in the evenings and is a joy if you can sort the logistics of getting there and back. It would be great if there was a shuttle bus like the mon amore one

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »
I've not been to Gravias. Must give that a try also. Is that more for lunchtime snacks? Do they do gyros?

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
soniaP...not sure about evening meals at the Gravia, although as we headed back through the village from Akrotori one evening it looked open and quite busy so I'm guessing they would serve food during the evenings too.

Suzy X

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
No gyros...but yes they do serve evening meals...we eat up there a lot, breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, any time of the day in fact!  Gravia is one of our favourite places in Arillas.

Offline adrienne n dave

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »
didn't know where to put this!!

does anybody have the recipe for Grandpas chicken?

I asked Liam (my son) and his girlfriend around to our house for dinner tomorrow evening

"what do you fancy"? I asked
"grandpas chicken" was the reply

chicken and cinnamon is all i can remember

think it was from Kostas on the beach
any help please?
instagram:  meadowfielddave

Offline Atalanta

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
Chicken Kapama maybe be like Grandpa's chicken. Cinnamon and garlic are used in this recipe http://greekfood.about.com/od/poultrydishes/r/ChickenKapama.htm

Offline adrienne n dave

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »
thanks
i'll give that a go tonight

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 09:34:06 PM »
Night Owl has to be on the agenda if you are feeling energetic enough to walk up there.
Very authentic and food is fantastic.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »
How was the Grandpa's chicken. Great minds think alike. We just had a Geek meal. Only 26 more sleeps.

Offline adrienne n dave

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
that was a perfect recipe
really tasty
had it with warm bread tzatziki and feta salad

went down a treat

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 12:14:41 AM »
I'm looking forward to Grandma's lamb at Portofino and Stifado from Mirage.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 12:19:33 AM »
I know I am biased, but the best meals in Arillas, in my opinion,  are at the Horizon. Every taverna is good especially Brouklis and Thalassa, but  Spiros, the chef at the Horizon, raises the bar with exceptional dishes.

Booking.com