Author Topic: Tavernas and restaurants  (Read 19782 times)

Offline Diane and Terry

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: Tavernas and restaurants
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 05:07:27 PM »
We try and visit all the restaurants/tavernas in Arillas.  Can honestly say that we have never had a disappointing meal ever.  My mouth is watering just reading all your comments.  The best news is there's only 22 days to wait until our next visit. 

Offline adrienne n dave

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 12:19:58 AM »
Last summer Efis came up trumps!

we have often missed it out because we found it hitty/missy, but last year we
gave it a go and wow, brilliant

especially the garlic prawns.... mmmm
instagram:  meadowfielddave

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »
As others have said, we've  never had a bad meal either but we still haven't tried all the eating establishments. We are yet to dine at Horizon, Thalassa 
and Thomas's fish taverna so these will definitely be at the top of our list this year....but then again nothing ever goes to plan!

We'll also have to try the new grill restaurant next to the Malibu and does Night Owl come under Arillas? Although we did stop there for a coffee and toast at 8.30am on our early morning walk up to Afionas! (don't think that really counts does it?)

My mouth is watering already!

Suzy X

Offline wissettlewis

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
I find the Horizon is also the best restaurant in Arillas, really chilled out vibes very similar to Ammos. However i also love Thalassa and Brouklis. Chicken Souvlaki at Brouklis is to die for!

Last year we tried 'Kostas on the beach' but the food was really disappointing there. Unfortunately since the tragic loss of Kostas i have found its never quite been the same :(

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »
I'm sure we just caught them I an off day Lewis. Plenty people raved about it last year

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »
I think you're right Jo, all restaurants can have their off days whether it be on holiday or at home. We actually had the best meals of our holiday at Kostas last August. I can remember my favourite one now ...it was on the special's menu-
 slow cooked lamb in different herbs and spices(could definitely taste cinnamon)  on a baked aubergine and it was absolutely to die for and the portion was huge!
Lewis...you have sold Horizon to me, sounds heavenly!

Suzy x

Offline Paul Clark

• Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2016, 05:38:51 PM »
We tried Kostas last year in July, service was so slow, pushing 3 hours for 2 courses. I know you're supposed to enjoy your time eating, but it was beyond acceptable. Also the food wasn't much to write home about I'm afraid
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »
Paul C.

If you are talking "Kostas on the Beach" , then can I say that they have kept all us locals going in the Winter with fabulous meals. This Summer, with a change of staff and owners they are doing well. Chicken in the mushroom sauce is recommended by me , as I lived on this in the Winter.
(Bifteki is also good and do not be afraid if they ask should you want vegetables. - They are not from a tin and prepared fresh , as is their new addition , coleslaw.

Negg

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2016, 07:05:10 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations Neil, I shall look forward to trying both of those dishes - they sound delicious! 

Do they still sell their amazing ice cream - probably too cold in the winter for ice cream though?

Suzy x

Offline Paul Clark

• Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2016, 07:37:43 PM »
Yes Eggy, I was talking about Kostas on the Beach. I'm glad they kept you "locals" happy over the winter. We're back over in a week & may try it again, but there are others higher on the list.
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
For years I've been singing the praises of the food in Arillas, and put it down to the quality of the ingredients used. Let's face it, most of the dishes on the menus are available anywhere else in Greece. I began to wonder if I was just biased towards Arillas, and in fact the food was actually just 'normal Greek food'. Having spent a week in the north of Corfu, I am now, however, totally convinced that the food in Arillas IS worthy of praise. We've had some very pleasant meals in the north but definitely not up to the standard in Arillas.

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
That's great to know Angiem!

Well done to all the cooks in Arillas - keep up the excellent work - you all do an amazing job!

A big thank you!

Suzy X

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »
Just have to say, we ate at Kostas on the Beach several times last summer and it was faultless every time, delicious food and served by the lovely Irene.  We only had a bit of a wait on one occasion and that was because she had to get the chef out to put a chick back in its swallows nest a couple of times, so that was well the worth the wait. :)

Sharon x

Offline suzy61

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2016, 11:17:48 PM »
As we are yet to sample the food at Horizon and Thalassa, recommendations are greatly appreciated...for starters mains and desserts, we might as well go the whole hog!

Suzy X

Booking.com