Author Topic: Vehicle Hire  (Read 10785 times)

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Vehicle Hire
« on: May 03, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
Hi
For those not aware. The green paper part of your driving license, as of June 8th 2015 will no longer be valid. The entire DVLA license system is being computerised.
This causes a problem when you wish to hire a vehicle. The hire company/insurance company usually want to check your driving license record for the number of penalty points you have etc. before they will release a vehicle to you. All this info was readily  available for inspection and verification on the paper part of your license.
The procedure from June the 8th is that you have to obtain a security code from the DVLA, giving them your driving license number, national insurance number and post code to verify your identity. Once obtained this code is valid for 72 hours. This can be done by post, telephone call or on line
You give this code to the hire company and they then have to contact the DVLA quoting the code to obtain your driving history details. This code tells the DVLA that you have authorised them to release your details.
Can only imagine the possible delays this could cause at a busy airport hire company, as they contact the DVLA for every customer's record before they release the vehicle.
From experience I know that many small hire companies, in small villages, do not always check your driving history but be prepared in case they do.
If you tend to hire a car on an ad hoc basis remember to note,  before you go on holiday,  the DVLA ( premium rate) telephone number or their web address so as you can contact them,and don't forget to take your national insurance number
Full details and videos can be found on the DVLA website.

Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline M n M

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Vehicle Hire
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
Hi Turkeyfoot
Do you or anyone else know if you are able to use your original paper part of your licence until it runs out?

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
Hi
I assume you mean the driving paper licence prior to the ''plastic card'' type?
If you still have the original paper license this is still legal and any points you accrue will be added.
These will remain valid until it expires. If you change your address though you will be given the ''plastic card''
Full details on the DVLA website
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
Geof, with my plastic driving licence card I have a paper Counterpart Driving Licence which I hope will be valid.
I like you can see a lot of problems for the hire companies and any person wanting to hire a vehicle anywhere in the world.
Mick.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »
Luckily for us, we`ve never had a problem. No one has asked for a driving`history`.  However, if you`ve had points in the past but not enough for a ban, then you`re still able to drive.  DVLA would have rescinded your license.  Just another piece of bureaucracy as I see it.  Thanks for posting, Geoff.

Hope you and Val are OK?

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »
Hi Mick
Your paper Counter Part Driving License is invalid from  June the 8th.
Geoff

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »
Hi Paul
Hope all is well with you both.
No matter how many points you have accumulated, whether you have been banned or not, its up the insurance company of the car hire company if they will accept the ''risk'' of insuring you for a hired vehicle once they know your diving history.

Offline Steve & Carole

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »
I tried to view the video last week but it wasn't there!  Methinks chaos will ensue!

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »
I guess that`s their prerogative, Geoff. Like I said, lucky we`ve never been asked.  (Not that there`d have been a problem, you understand  :-) )

If the car hire places make it a priority to ask, then they just might find a few potential customers fall by the wayside. 

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
Hi Steve and Carol
See link to connect to website. The video is up and running today
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-licensing-agency
Geoff

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »
Hi
Just to let you know I have just obtained Check Code from the DVLA website. No problems. You also have an option to print off your licence details which shows your licence status and any endorsements you may have to show a hire company..
You can only use the code once and it is only valid for 72 hrs.
Lets hope in the early hours of tomorrow morning, at Skiathos airport, the hire process goes just as smooth.
Geoff

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »
Hi
It would appear a little common sense has prevailed within the DVLA
The code required, so as the car hire company, can verify your driving record, for insurance purposes, is now valid for 3 weeks and not 3 days.
The stipulation that the code can only be used once appears not to have changed.
Geoff

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
Sense indeed, 3 days was madness! However if you're Theo at Arillas cars you still don't need it. Just plastic and (now defunct) paper part required.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:35:02 PM »
Hi
With insurance companies I tend to have the ‘’what if approach’’.
We all are aware that the smallest mistake or non-disclosure made on an insurance policy, means a claim is refused.
When you hire a car, you directly or indirectly take out an insurance cover. No insurance company would give cover to somebody who has a high number of points, for whatever reason, unless they increased the premium to reflect the extra risk they would perceive you are. Most likely they would decline to offer cover. They certainly would not cover a banned driver.

This of course, as it would be in the UK, if you insured a private vehicle, and no doubt elsewhere in the world.
The only way a hirer can check your up to date driving history is via the DVLA.

So ‘’what if’’ by not declaring any driving offences would happen if you had an accident involving yourself or third parties, and a claim was made? Especially for any personal injury that could be very costly to the insurance company and not the hire firm.
I am reasonably certain, if in mitigation, you said you was not asked for your  DVLA  driving record, you would not be covered from the insurance company, as they would say it is invalid and should not have been issued.
Of course it should be the responsibility of the hire company, who issue a policy on behalf of the insurance company, to ensure it is accordance with the policy rules to ensure you are an acceptable risk. They can only do this via the DVLA.
Just because they do not ask for the DLA code it does not mean you can be assured of cover in the advent of a claim
I can’t imagine any policy issued to a hire company allowing hirers unlimited points and bans, as would be for any private insurance policy as well.
No problem if you do not have an accident but ‘’what if’ ’. Especially if you have a few points.
Geoff

Offline Chris G

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 12:23:26 AM »
hI

We hired a car for 2 weeks in June this year, booked through Atlas Hire in the UK when we picked the car up at Corfu airport I was only asked for my card license so that they could take a copy, I had the DVLA code should they want to carry out a check but it was never asked for,

What did catch us by surprise was that when we booked the car in the UK it only included third party insurance, we had to part company with 73 of our hard earned English pounds to upgrade to fully comp. We will no better the next time.

Booking.com