Author Topic: Yoga on the beach  (Read 11341 times)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
Yoga on the beach
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »
I heard a rumour a couple of years ago that there is Yoga on the beach by Effi's on a morning. I could never confirm this for sure because I don't normally surface until quite late on a morning. Have any of you been and do you know how much they charge and what time it starts?   

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Yoga on the beach
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »
I saw a group every morning doing their stuff on the way to the north beach around 9-ish. I believe they were from the Buddhist centre. They were right in front of the perilous falling rock area and I used to think how totally stupid to practise in such a dangerous place!

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »
Thanks Jo.  It doesn't appear to be a daily session on the beach that's open to anyone, which I hoped it would be. It might be exclusively for visitors to  the Buddhist centre. And I certainly don't fancy getting buried in tons of cliff face, so I'll do it on the safety of my balcony!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:30:08 AM »
Karen meluvver, I have (pretended to?) joined in with the yoga / dance group early mornings on North beach. No harm, and not always unclothed. I remember chatting to Jo at Marinaki on my way back last Summer at about 9am.

I'm a tart for the alternative way of life. For heaven's sake I've spent the last 20 odd years in Glastonbury with Jen, who now wears the knee length hair. And everyone admires it.

Phil

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »
Not always unclothed, Phil?! Heck, you're brave... I don't think for one minute that I could pluck up the courage to dance on the beach in my birthday suit.

I'm your number one hair fan Jen :-)

Offline Joyce

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
Hi Cypress - I was hoping for yoga on the beach too and naked yoga is absolutely NOT my thing! There do seem to be sessions running in San George a couple of times a week (early evening I think) - ten euros per session BUT they are in German/Greek! I may pop over to check it out when I am in Arillas in August but failing that my friend and I intend to find a quiet corner in the garden at our accommodation and do our own thing! If you happen to be there end of August/beginning Sept you are more than welcome to join us!

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »
Joyce, that's so lovely of you, thank you. By the end of August though I'll be struggling with post holiday blues back home in Yorkshire - I leave Arillas on the 3rd of August. If you and your friend do get to go over to St George will you let me know what you think of the yoga class? Or, there's a slim chance I'll leave Arillas for the afternoon and go and check it out myself, then I'll let you know times/days/cost before you both go. What a laugh that would be; yoga delivered in a language that I don't understand! 

I'm beginning to think I should start my own class on the beach (Eggy, will you join me? :-)) ...... I could call it Yoga For Hangovers! (I'll have one too)

Offline Joyce

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
Wow - yoga for hangovers??? Count me in - that is right up my street! My friend and I are planning to spend a day in San George so are thinking we will stay on for the yoga (maybe) - then stop at Anemos on way back for replenishment! If we go to the class - or if we find anything else in English I will let you know! I will be there for a week in June with my family so will ask around then too. I definitely think - in the interests of keeping the tourists happy - that Eggy should train as a yoga teacher !!!  Have a great holiday !

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
Joyce , I can do it , DONCHYERKNOW?

Ouzo in left hand and beer in right. Then lift left to mouth , sip , and return. Lift right to mouth , sip and return, Repeat 20 times. (Who fills the glasses)

Then lift left leg and return to floor , lift right leg and return to floor.

Then , stand up and fall in a heap!! (only fall in heap if you can stand up)

I will gladly join you, Cypress , for these exercises and , thinking about the beach condition , we can all be stoned!! (Maybe just a Coconut drink?)

Negg

Offline Joyce

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
Well - there we are Cypress - our very own yoga teacher - problem solved (I think!!!!).

Neil - it's the head stands I worry about particularly if there are stones on the beach - ouch !!  Arriving 19 June and looking forward to introducing you and Wendy to my beautiful granddaughter xx

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »
Eggy, you bottled it!

Joyce, have yourselves a great holiday too. and, yes please, do let me know if there's an English speaking yoga class that you hear of.

Offline stressed0506

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
I am new to this forum but couldn't resist saying a word about yoga!

I have just discovered that there are yoga classes at Athos Pool Bar (opposite Kostas supermarket at the top of the village right by the junction down to San Stef)

They are run by a delightful young English woman (Sarah) who is just lovely and so supportive and encouraging without being sycophantic!

They are on Monday and Wednesday evenings in an open air studio by the pool, from 6 to 7. 30. She charges 15 euros a session.

I only discovered this last week but will be returning as I really thought it was very good and came away feeling like I had worked out but was also chilled.

I can highly recommend it! She is also going to start sessions on the beach on Mondays and Wednesdays in the mornings about 9 I think. And it will be clothed.....

Hope this helps anyone looking for a good yoga session.

Offline Joyce

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 11:37:04 AM »
Stressed0506 - thank you - that is brilliant news! Will definitely be giving that a try in August/Sept!

Booking.com