Author Topic: Lance Chilton - Sad news!  (Read 18612 times)

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
Lance Chilton - Sad news!
« on: June 06, 2015, 01:52:49 PM »
Talking to a few of our visitors this year, I have recently descovered that Mr Lance Chilton has passed away ....
That's why the marengo walks website is down and therre is not more links to download or order their maps.
A big loss for the worlds wallking comunity...
As I knew him personaly I would like to inform you all about this. The following text is from the plakias forum where I found some published information.

If you did not already know, Lance Chilton died of an acute heart attack in the evening of 30th July, in his 60th year.  Hazel and I had a 'phone call from his wife Hilary the following day.

Anyone interested might like to know that he will be cremated at the Mintlyn Crematorium, Kings Lynn on Monday 18th August 2014 at 13.00.

We know that many of his friends from the early 1980's (when he began the Botanical Specials and before he produced the walk booklets as 'Marengo') through to the 2000's will be attending the funeral.

He had been ill with an entirely unrelated condition for some years.  This had slowed him down. Also, because of a change of policy by the owners of several guided books, he and Hilary were unable to update their walk booklets alongside their contributions to guides of the Greek islands.

Hilary is proposing to scatter his ashes on the island of Thasos sometime next year.

Lance  was a lovely man who gave much pleasure to many people with his kindness, patience and love of plants.  His freehand drawing of maps was unsurpassed so that his walking guides actually worked - he had walked them all several times and often in the reverse direction!

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
Re: Lance Chilton - Sad news!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »
That is very sad, belated news.  I never knew him, although it appears he didn't live too far away, but his detailed maps were invaluable.
RIP.

Offline adrienne n dave

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Lance Chilton - Sad news!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
Sad news indeed

I always bring my Lance Chilton book and map when in Arillas, we have done several of his walks.

Thank you Lance, RIP.
instagram:  meadowfielddave

Booking.com