Author Topic: Attack the Mozzies!  (Read 19383 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Attack the Mozzies!
« on: June 10, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
Not sure if just a Northern store but my local Bodycare has Jungle Formula Maximum spray for Ģ4.99 and the roll-on for Ģ3.99.  Far cheaper than places like Superdrug etc

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Attack the Mozzies!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 11:25:58 AM »
For those with Tesco Clubcard, Jen just did a "double up" of points on her Jungle Formula - 3 full size sprays for Ģ13.20, but it only cost her Ģ6.60 worth of points. That's her sorted for July!

Phil

Offline BILLYB

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
 Buy one get one half price at Boots ;)

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
Yeah but what about dealing with the wasps in late September? Does ANYTHING repel them?
gaygo

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »
Try burning ground coffee in a silver foil dish. The coffee aroma does put them off from buzzing around your table.

(A little tip I got from Linda at Night Owl , Afionas)

It works for us at home in Kavaddades.

Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »
And for our Gaygo, who commented on the wasps at end of season, I have a memory of when we ate at Graziella at that time of year. They brought out a dish of used coffee grouts and set fire to it on the ledge next to us. Wasps were no longer such a problem for us, and since we were the only ones there, they didn't invade all the rest!

We all talk about mozzies, but the autumn wasps are an issue. More thoughts on how to deal with them would be a useful addition to the forum debate.

Phil

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »
Regarding the wasps,how early into september do they show themselves?

Offline indigo648

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:50 AM »
Wasps were out in force early September last year

Offline emeralddragons

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
WASPS: Some of the wasps are huge, much larger than any I have seen at home in Finland. I once tried to wave one of these away from buzzing around my face while I was eating, and it stung me immediately.
It stung me on the throat, and I was afraid Iīd get an allergic reaction.
To my amazement it didnīt hurt much, neither was there any kind of skin reaction. Later somebody told me that the huge Corfiot wasps are not nearly as poisonous as those we have at home. I donīt know whether this is the scientific truth, but it certainly seemed that way to me.
(If you know from before that you are dangerously allergic to wasps, this does not, of course, apply. Then do as your doctor has told you.)
As to what one can do about wasps...
Rule 1: Never shoo them away or irritate them in any way.
Rule 2: If there are wasps, we lay the table for them, giving them a plate of their own, with a morsel or a few drops of something sweet on it. Honey or fruit are best, but youghurt, a sweet drink. even fish or meat will also do. Just leave them in peace to enjoy their meal. It works!
Emeralddragons

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »
Yes we have a wasp trap that you put a fizzy drink in and hang nearby and that keeps them away. They go up inside it to get to the fizzy drink and then get trapped inside. Are you sure Emmeralddragons that you just hadn't had that much to drink and that is why it didn't hurt. I remember once getting bitten after a few glasses of wine and that seemed to anaesthetise the pain. Lol.

Offline emeralddragons

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »
Well, SoniaP, you may be right!!! To be honest I got stung while having lunch in San Stephanos. So I probably had had a glass or two of wine, this being Corfu... ;-)
Even so, the sting didnīt keep on hurting for ages and ages, which wasp stings have done at home.
I got properly scared, both because of the size of the beast in question, and of getting stung in the throat. We hovered near the medical centre in San S. for a while, but when nothing happened, we walked back home to Arillas.
Emeralddragons

Offline Rachel B

• Forum Fanatic
  • When my fridge is empty, so is my heart
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 02:00:34 AM »
I got stung by one of those giant wasps last year on the way back from Horse Riding. It stung like a...... lol - it flippin hurt too! It was a really quick sharp prick and then my arm went a little numb a few minutes later. We knew it was one of those wasps as it flew straight to the back of the car. The two people in the back shot out lol The driver had to open the boot to get rid of it. I had swelling around the sting, it wasn't exactly painful but it was quite uncomfortable - like a dull ache. I was becoming a little bothered by this time. He pulled over in San Stefanos and went into a hotel. He came out with this gel stuff, don't know what it was but it worked.. Thankfully!

I have scar on my arm now though. Looks like someone stuck a pencil in my arm lol

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 02:22:39 AM »
The DEET spray works as well. But instead of spraying it on feet and legs to protect against mozzies, you use it like the pepper-spray a woman might use against a potential attacker. Have known Jen to resort to that, with great effect.

You might upset folk at the next table though, when their dinner suddenly tastes of DEET, or worse, has the body of a dead wasp in it as extra meat...

Phil

Offline annemarsh

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
My daughter got stung within 10 minutes of arriving last year at the Tria but Philip gave us some of the magic 'jel stuff' to put on it and my daughter said the pain went almost instantly. She also said that even though the wasps are a lot bigger than in the UK, she thought it was a lot less painful , if that's any consolation.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »
Need to find out what the green gel stuff is. Sounds good.

Booking.com