Author Topic: Taking Cash?  (Read 30364 times)

Offline Val n Bill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Taking Cash?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »

Yes Sonia.... because the exchange rate has been so good to us we are also taking more money than usual to spend in Arillas, don't really know how we will manage that though because we eat every meal in the local tavernas and only keep water in the fridge.....sorry we do have milk as well,  for my very early morning coffee as I sit on the balcony watching Arillas awake. Someone once asked me why I buy a small bottle of  water from the bar numerous times a day, instead of going up to my room for a refill, when she had seen me buying two litre bottles from the bar for the room. My answer was....."because I can".

I could always buy something extra special to take home with the extra money this year though. Maybe I will buy some fluffy dice for "the boy racer" to go with his Fiesta or Punto.

Terry....can only totally agree with you.

Val x

The love affair continues.

Offline Paul Clark

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
    • Pauls Cancer Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 02:11:25 PM »
Well said Dimitris, the person we're stating with has already confirmed no problems expected, as if............

............ one question though, the UK Driving License laws changed this month, I asked the person we normally hire a car from & they hadn't heard anything about it. Just suggested I bring as many documents as I can with me. So that's my O Level Certificates, DBS Clearance & 50m Breaststroke Certificate bagged up :)
Follow my journey against throat cancer at  http://paulscancer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline NickBoardman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »
I think its very important to take extra cash in the current climate. Nobody knows what will happen whether its scare mongering of fact. I always keep a minimum of €500 and top up when I pass a cash machine that is working. Its a fact that the ATM's may not have cash in them. Cash is king when there is a possible crisis.

I have ordered extra cash today and I will try to make sure I will always have between €700 to € 1000 at hand. I suppose I can do this because I am returning in September and even after that holiday I will  have some left for the following year. They can always  be changed to drachma's.

The most important thing is to keep going to Greece.

I don't think that all of the articles below can all be "piffle"

Thanks Terry, I only take cash any way…but yes just keep going to Greece.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/take-cash-greece-post-office-5899459

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3127221/Warning-British-tourists-Greece-nears-bankruptcy-Holidaymakers-warned-cash-incase-cash-machines-switched-off.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11566983/Holidaymakers-warned-to-take-cash-to-Greece-amid-financial-collapse-fears.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189398-s601/Greece:Banks.And.Money.html

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/577227/British-holidaymakers-issued-fresh-warnings-over-risky-travel-to-cash-strapped-Greece

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »
That's articles has made me chuckle .
Chill , I just don't  know what they get out of trying to worry people I really don't ...................
PS . I am saying this as a born worrier !
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline NickBoardman

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
I am not travelling until next year but I always like to get info from the country of origin if possible, find it hard to believe what I read in, or hear on the news.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
thanks dimitris, putting our mind at rest. but we all know we are in safe hands in arillas.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
A comment below from Jimbo on the San Stefanos website. Hope he doesn't mind me putting it on:-

Withdrawals were 3 billion between Monday and Thursday alone, and the banks have asked the ECB for more liquidity assistance. One commentator said that if they didn't get it the banks might close on Monday.

I've been saying "take cash" for months, and frequently accused of "scaremongering." Now that the Greek crisis is high on the news agenda every day maybe people will recognise that there could be problems and inconvenience for a while.

Unfortunately, the situation is causing significant damage to Greek tourism. AgStef has a large loyal cohort of people who go back, but I know from contacts in the village that bookings are lower than hoped. If there is a banking melt-down, our Euros in hand will be be extremely welcome.

Offline billyd

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »
I always take Euro's to Arillas, with a little home currency, also Plastic for emergencies.
I wonder how plastic will go down?

Regards

Bill & Marion

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »
I have just come back from Sidari with e1500 drawn from 3 different accounts as e500 each.
(We look after Villas here and pay their bills)

Not a problem.

To say " I am not worried"  is of no help to anyone, so bring cash if you feel that it removes any pressure from you and thereby helps to improve your time here.

Break time is precious so do all you can that you feel will put you at ease.

Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 05:51:30 PM »
It will be good to see both again, Bill and Marion. I hope you both behave this year 🍸. 🍺.  🍻. 🍷. 🍦

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
I wonder how plastic will go down?

Regards

Bill & Marion

Probably a darn site better than I "go down" with some people. (I must learn to be more serious)

Have a good time here , you guys!

Negg

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
Oh no - don't go changing Eggy, I love your sense of humour.  Your threads always make me giggle. Got the words of that song by Billy Joel going around in my head now!

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 08:29:30 PM »
i will be bringing my euros and sally back to Arillas in October
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline chezphil

• cant wait
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
Anyone just seen BBC news if that is not scaremongering don't what is, telling g everyone to take cash run on banks rec hope it's settled one way or another on Monday cant be doing Greece any good all this speculation

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 03:11:04 PM »

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING !

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING !!!

Val x 😅
The love affair continues.

Booking.com